THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    American Travel (Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming)...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Travel (Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming)...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, don't know where to post this...

A South African needs your advise. I'm planning to fly to Billings via Denver in May. Would like to visit places like Hardin, Little Bighorn, Black Hills, Rapid City, maybe Yellowstone Nationalpark etc.

Who could give me some advise on car rentals, routes, weather, accommodation, restaurants etc? Really would love to hear from people living in that area.

http://www.kapstadt.de/schindlers-africa

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I've been to those places. You are in for a treat.

From Denver, I'd fly into Jackson Hole and get a rental car there. Then up through the Grand Tetons NP and into Yellowstone NP. From there drive into Montana and over to the Little Bighorn Battlefield NM and then back down into Wyoming via Interstate 90 past Devils Tower NM and then into South Dakota through the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore NP and into Rapid City, from which you should visit the towns of Deadwood, Lead and Spearfish. All are National Parks (NP) or National Monuments (NM). If time allows, drive east over to the Badlands NP from Rapid City, and back to Rapid City.

These will help:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps..._parks/nps_map99.pdf
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/national_parks.html

Enjoy.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long will you be in the US? To see all the places you've listed and drive to them could easily take a few weeks.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a beautiful area and the route LionHunter describes is a logical one, although there are many ways to approach it. Getting a rental car is usually somewhat less expensive if you return it to its place of origin, so you might consider driving all of the way from Denver, depending on how much time you have. It also makes your air travel, which must be via the smaller (and expensive) commuter planes into locations in Montana or Wyoming less complicated. Driving will provide you even more potential sights to visit like Rocky Mountain National Park only about 90 minutes from Denver and various other places along the way. May is a good time to go in that all of the roads should be re-opened from winter closures and the summer crowds of tourists haven't yet decended on the area.

As to weather, temperatures should be mild with some cool to chilly temperatures in the mountains around Teton and Yellowstone Parks. Spring is storm season and you could see some thunderstorms, with even hail and tornados possible, but such events are short-lived and are almost always followed with days of beautiful weather. Stormy weather often results in delays or even cancellations in air travel, so that's just one more reason to drive.

One caution: Are you comfortable driving on the right-hand side of the road? Driving in the British-influenced lefty countries really messes my mind up and I'm sure that the reverse might do the same for you.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have any special interest, or do you just want to see the sights? I would not miss Yellowstone. It is unique even for the American West.

I wish you a wonderful trip. You will meet a lot of friendly folks, especially in the smaller towns. Just like in SA.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the good advise. No problems with driving on the right-hand side 'cause I grew up in Germany, now living in South Africa for almost 30 years. Special interests are the Indian battlefields like Little Bighorn and the many others. Unfortunately time is limited, I won't have more than 3-4 weeks at the most, that's why I have to concentrate on a few selected areas. It might be the best to skip Yellowstone to another visit and now 'only' see the Little Bighorn area plus the Black Hills. From Hardin I could take the Highway 212, it's now called 'The Warrior Trail', it would lead me straight to Rapid City.

Is one of you familiar with the small towns of Lodge Grass and Wyola, based at Crow Agency? As I would love to stay on a ranch I'm interested to read some comments regarding places like +A Guest Ranch, Wald Ranch and Pass Creek Ranch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the site of the Wagon Box Fight. Shame you aren't making a swing thru Idaho. Our liquor stores now carry Amarula in case you get homesick.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are several daily flights from Denver to Billings. The airport is rather small so make car rentals in advance.

Too bad you're not coming in June because the Battlefield does a re-enactment of Custer's Last Stand around Father's Day.

I travel Highway 212 several times a year. I prefer it over the Interstate. It's definitely a neat drive with rolling hills, Custer Nat'l Forest, and Sagebrush rangeland. You'll get to drive through 2 reservations (Crow and Northern Cheyenne). Not much in the way of total population. Highway 212 will bring you into Belle Fourche, SD (just over an hour to Rapid City).

Rapid City has quite a few hotels available. There are some cool art and native american shops downtown. I enjoy eating (and drinking) at the Firehouse Brewery which is also downtown.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sunshine,

If you go to Rapid City and Mount Rushmore you need to visit the Crazy Horse Monument which is nearby. I enjoyed it more than Mount Rushmore.

I live in Cody, Wyoming that is only 50 miles out the East gate of Yellowstone Park. I have some knowledge of the area between Yellowstone and Rapid City so if you'd like to e-mail me please feel free to do so.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12885 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
also if you're going thru dakota custer state park is a wonderful place. you can see the buffalo herds etc.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't waste your time in the flat country. Drive 7 hours northwest and I will show you a great time in the Flathead Valley. Glacier park, fishing, shooting, whitewater rafting and cold beer. Smiler

Ski+3
Kalispell, MT

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
www.mapquest.com

Put in your destinations and you will get an idea of travel times, maps, etc

www.travelocity.com to look at car rental rates at the airport you are flying into. Be aware, there is a fee if you drop your car off at a different pickup point.

Have a nice stay.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
www.mapquest.com

Put in your destinations and you will get an idea of travel times, maps, etc

www.travelocity.com to look at car rental rates at the airport you are flying into. Be aware, there is a fee if you drop your car off at a different pickup point.

Have a nice stay.

Thank you everyone for your good advise, it's highly appreciated.

I would like to stay as close to the battlefields as possible. What about towns like Colstrip, Forsyth and Rosebud? Are those towns pretty or not so? Are there any B & Bs one can recommend? Who is familiar with 'Lakeview B & B' near Colstrip?

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
The Beartooth Highway south of Billings is not to be missed. Incredible!

You might not be able to traverse all of it into Wyoming but it is well worth seeing even if you can't drive the entire length.

It's been a tough winter so May might be slightly early for the entire Highway to be open.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I live in Northern Wyoming, close to many of the sights you want to see. I would
recommend checking "The Lodge at Diamond Cross". They offer a tour based
on many of the battlefields & Native American culture. It's a beautiful 150,000
acre working ranch in the middle of some very historic country. I think 3-4 days
there would be about perfect. Maybe spend 3-4 days before at Cody & Yellowstone,
and 3-4 days after at Mt. Rushmore & the Black Hills in South Dakota would
be perfect. You should have a great trip! I will try to put a link to the Diamond Cross
Ranch below.
http://thelodgeatdiamondcross....uest-ranch/packages/

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1+ for the Beartooth Highway.

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the museums in the smaller towns you pass through. (Almost all have one)

And I try to only use the top half of my fuel tank; stations can be pretty widely spaced.

+1 for Highway 212. Stop in Alzada, MT at the Stoneville Saloon.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 818 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
Sunshine,

You asked about Rosebud. I was born and raised there many years ago and was there a couple of years ago for some elk hunting.
The counrty around Rosebud is very nice but the town itself is not pretty. It is a rundown reservation town. There is a nice Indian Museum in Saint Francis close to Rosebud. In all honesty I think you would enjoy the Black Hills more.
Randy

Posts: 386 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of great infos, thank you!

Who knows the following lodges/guesthouses?

Lakeview Bed & Breakfast, Colstrip
http://www.lakeviewbnb.com

Oakwood Lodge, Broadus
http://visitmt.com/categories/...ecordID=929&SiteID=1 ?

Hisega Lodge near Rapid City
http://www.hisegalodge.net.

Any comments?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is the heck would you want to go to Hardin?
rotflmo

Good luck with your plans

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Sunshine,

If you go to Rapid City and Mount Rushmore you need to visit the Crazy Horse Monument which is nearby. I enjoyed it more than Mount Rushmore.

I live in Cody, Wyoming that is only 50 miles out the East gate of Yellowstone Park. I have some knowledge of the area between Yellowstone and Rapid City so if you'd like to e-mail me please feel free to do so.

Mark

And in Mark's pretty little town is the Buffalo Bill museum that I think is well worth the visit.

Mark, I used to live in Pocatello, Idaho and spent a lot of time in Yellowstone. If I remember correctly, the park isn't open to car traffic until Memorial Day weekend. If that's the case, Sunshine could end up there a bit too early.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just returned from my visit to Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska and Wyoming. I was absolutely fantastic!!! Stunning scenery, very very friendly people. Felt at home immediately. Could be living there without any doubt. Most things were way better than expected, except the speed limits! Driving as fast as a snail is just too difficult.