THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Recommendations for Light Weight Luggage

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for Light Weight Luggage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It has been two years since I last flew internationally for a hunting trip. On my previous trips up to Canada and down to Argie, I was Platinum on Continental so my luggage allowance per bag was 75 pounds. This was really easy to meet, even with my HEAVY Cabelas Rolling Duffle. It weighs almost 19 pounds. Now with the 50 pound limit, I want to get a lighter weight piece of luggage for our Namibia trip this summer.

I was thinking about Filson Extra-Large Rolling Duffle. It only weighs about 10.5 pounds. Or maybe just regular duffle(w/o wheels) from Filson or Simms.

Any advice you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd keep the wheels on whatever I got.

www.sierratradingpost.com had a some wheeled duffels very cheap about 2 days ago.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TBD - If you want to look at non-rolling luggage, take a look at the stuff from Red Oyx. Some of the best designed bags I have seen. The sell direct, not in stores, check out their web site. I use a rolling duffel that weighs about 8 lbs, made by Briggs& Riley, it has been on 8 African trips now, coupled with a Tuff-Pak and a carry on bag. With the Tuff Pak it reduces the size of the duffel bag I need considerably. L.L. Bean makes a similar bag in several sizes. This combination is what I took to Namibia the last two years. Hope this helps and good luck.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have used Filson extra large duffles for a dozen years. First the regular bags, and as I got older, the wheeled models. Second to none and Filson has always stood behind their products. I have found that with the weight reduction to 50#, the large wheeled duffle would suffice.

Also, note that Filson uses brass zippers, not nylon, thus making them less susceptible to opening by unauthorized individuals.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Filson, no doubt about it! I own about a half dozen pieces of Filson luggage and love it! However, I don't know that you need the big duffle or the outfitter bag or anything giant like that (yes, I own both and actually them for storage far more than travel).
I have a rule about packing now. If I can't carry it easily, I am DEFINITELY packing too much. My new thing if I am traveling anywhere with laundry service is to pack three days worth of clothes and gear into a Filson Pullman to use as a carry-on and then my small/med Filson "carry-on bag" counts as my "personal item". Result...no big checked bags except for gun and ammo!

Just a thought.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
I have an US duffle bag - nothing fancy, simple, waterproof, light, expendable...:

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the Bean and Tuffpack combo for the last few years. I use a carryon and back pack. I use a CPAP maching thus need some extra room. The Bean rolling duffle is I think the lightest and roomiest. Went to Bean site large roling duffle 7440 cu in and $199 Filson large 5460 cu in $270, and no wheels.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
+1 Filson wheeled duffle. Virtually indestructible.

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some bags made in Boise called either Bob's bags or Buck's bags.

There are a cordura bag with a number of smaller bags inside. You can out the same items in a much smaller bag.

I have 3 of them. They are fantastic.

Posts: 11961 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Filson bags for my checked luggage for several years.

I have the extra large with wheels.

I really apreciate the wheels.

I have wheels on my guncase and back pack on my carry on so I can handle my luggage by myself when necessary.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have switched to the cheaper rolling duffles from Cabela's and others. I get about three trips out of them, then toss them. I have tried the expensive bags and they last longer but are heavier and seem to attract "visitors". I use the beat up cheaper bags and wrap them in plastic when I can.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we have been using the Bass Pro shops duffles for years and like them a lot, however, recently bought a couple of these lightweight luggage carts to lash to the bags to make carrying them through the airport easier. The cost of the bags and the carrier run about 100.00/combo

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the Filson bags and have several different sizes, etc. to be versatile. The rolling duffle is great and I can fit way too much in it. I'm also a big fan of the Eagle Creek packing cubes. Combine Filson with the cubes and you can't go wrong. By the way, I don't do "heavy" bags so they must not be too bad!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Filson rolling duffels are the best!

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 415sbaird:
Filson rolling duffels are the best!

A 1
AND THEY WILL FIX THEM FOR FREE FOR LIFE IF NECESSARY

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I used an Orvis rolling duffle. I bought it at one of the warehouse sales for about $35. It almost looks like it is made of some sort of rip-stop material and has held up great. It is a lot lighter than my Beretta canvas roller which has gone to Argentina a few times.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote