Find
Notify
Tools

Leaving with a rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
For the first time in many years I will be leaving the USA with a rifle (instead of leaving from France). Other than the 4457 Customs form, do I need to fill out any other paperwork before leaving with a rifle (in 404 Jeffery)?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
No, that is it and even that is not required to leave, but you do need it to bring the rifle back into the US.

Mike

Posts: 21253 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 4457 or a bill of sale is sufficient..African customs likes the 4457 I suspect because it looks like an official document, and we tend to use them for other than they were ment for, but hey I have no problem with that if it circumvents a little red tape. That said I traveled for years with a bill of sale for my guns.

A 4457 is not required, it is only a good way to show that you owned the gun when you left the USA and did not purchase that gun in the destination country..It is good for that gun for a lifetime...

If you are a world traveler and travel often I suggest you get all your guns on "one" form 4457 as its good for a lifetime..but if like me your always buying and selling or trading your guns, that probably won't work...I think I have all my keepers on one form at least for awhile.

BTW, the U.S. Customs form 4457 is not only for guns, its for anything of value such as scopes, cameras, binoculars, jewlery, and what not. Customs officials in the US are pretty leniant as they can look about anything and tell if it used and if it was probably purchased in the USA or is being smuggled into the USA...18 USC 545 is a general smuggling charge and you can do prison time for some rather minor discrepencies, so be carefull, use proper forms and read the law before you travel abroad is good advise.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I got a stupid Delta checkin clerk that was insisting I needed to show here my permit to take my rifles into RSA. I was leaving from Atlanta and informed her that my RSA permit would not be issued until I arrive in RSA. She was a real pain in the ass but I had the SAPS form filled out and showed her that and she actually thought that was a permit.

But like has been said all ready you actually do not need anything to take a rifle out of the US if you are a US citzen but the 4457 is needed to bring it back in.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you dont need anything else even if you are NOT a us citizen, I have traveled from the US to canada back and forth several times with nothing more than a 4457, both by land and air, I was not asked for anything else, I am a Mexican citizen but have several guns in the USA...

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wink,
Just leave that rifle here in the States with me... I promise not to let Mike or Forrest shoot or coon finger it! I will also only let my grandmother only drive it on Sundays.... Wink

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Wink,
Just leave that rifle here in the States with me... I promise not to let Mike or Forrest shoot or coon finger it! I will also only let my grandmother only drive it on Sundays.... Wink

All things considered, I think I'll take it with me. I'm glad to see that paperwork for this hasn't yet become a nightmare.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
All things considered, I think I'll take it with me.

Remind me to never drink and post again! I think I needed to use the word "only" only one more time in that sentence.

Oh well, beautiful rifle Wink, hope she sees action soon.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
A few years ago I got a stupid Delta checkin clerk that was insisting I needed to show here my permit to take my rifles into RSA...

I had exactly the same problem with US Air on my first leg to Zambia. I showed her both the regs and completed form (but not yet approved) that my permit would be waiting for me in Lusaka. It sufficed. When transferring to Air Ethiopia in Washington I was told by a gate agent that someone would likely need to see the Zambia permit before my rifle was put on the plane. Ultimately they put in on without question, but it caused a brief panic on my part. Then coming home they insisted on seeing my Zambian permit before tranferring my gun case in Addis Ababa after I had already left Zambia (at which point it was useless).

In all my prior trips I've never been asked for a pre-arranged firearms permit but for some reason I got hit three times in one trip.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote