Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended Books for iPad
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
I know that the trip from the states to Joberg or anywhere on the dark continent is very long.

I don't like carrying lots and lots of books so I overload my iPad with some iTunes books.

I know these are not Africa books but the books by Vince Flynn about Mitch Rapp and Brad Thor about Scot Horvath are a good read. Not Africa safari stuff but a great read none the less.

I can only watch so many movies on the plane and highly recommend both authors.

Justin

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I generally take one good book and a couple of cheap paperbacks -- Wilbur Smith or something similar. I leave the paperbacks in camp or with the PH.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Not everyone's cup of tea, but my favorite series is George R.R. Martins "A Song of Ice and Fire" better known by the first book title "A Game of Thrones" (also an HBO series now). Not Africa at all, but the books are long, detailed, and very enthralling - real page turners, IMHO. What I like most about them though is that the plot does not follow the predictable story line of hero beats villain and rescues the princess. There are many points of view working in the series and the author does not mind making the character you root for lose. There are several characters you will like in the beginning only to hate later, and others you hate to begin with that eventually grow on you. If you do decide to read the series, pay attention to the random facts and details that characters either point out, say, prophesize, or dream. Lots of seemingly unimportant details will come back in later books or elude to much deeper plots working that are never directly mentioned.

If "Game of Thrones" is not your cup of tea ... then I'm out of ideas.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i read the first 5 in the series on my Kindle but the final volume isn't available yet via Amazon. they are fun reads and all 5 would keep you busy for about a dozen round trips to Africa!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have also read all 5 - bought the first in hardback after watching the first season of the HBO series and then went through the next 4 on my iPad in about 3 months. I really liked them and am looking forward to the next volume. Wish he would hurry it along.

I have read everything by Stephen King, Ken Follett, Michael Crichton, Robert Ludlum, Alistair MacLean, Robin Cook, Ian Fleming and others.

If you haven't yet read UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand, do yourself a favor and read it now. Best book I've read in the past year, and it's a true story about an incredible American.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wish he would hurry it along.

You're telling me! He did pre-release one chapter of book six online if you haven't read that. Between his slow writing and HBO taking a year gap between seasons though ... they're really killing me.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
book 6 is available for sale in a hard copy version( i met a patient 4-5 months ago who was reading it when i went in his room to interview him). it just isn't out yet on e- media

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Jerry-

Book 6 The Winds of Winter has not been published. Current expected date is 2015! There is a book cover release and I believe GRRM has pre-published one chapter, which I refuse to read.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
that's weird. the book the patient was reading was by George Martin and the guy told me it was the sixth book in the series and just published- can't recall the title, though. oh well, i guess i will be waiting a while longer.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Jdollar, what color was the cover?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the slip cover was sort of tan with some sort of artist's drawing on it. wish i could remember the title but i definitely know the guy was a fan of the series and said it was the latest book in the series. he had read the other 5 and that it was just published.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Book 5 published 7/12/2011.

In October 2012 a "book" of drawings/maps/posters was published - about 20 pages.

GRRMARTIN has said he intends 1500 pages for book 6, of which he has completed approximately 500, but only the first 200 has been edited.

A simple google search will confirm all this and answer some questions. GRRMARTIN is notoriously behind, is getting old and is a physical wreck; he has many irons in the fire, including the HBO series. He intends a 7th book but we may be lucky to ever see book 6.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
GRRMARTIN is notoriously behind, is getting old and is a physical wreck; he has many irons in the fire, including the HBO series. He intends a 7th book but we may be lucky to ever see book 6.

I hope he will at least write down what is supposed to happen in the end (an outline of sorts) and, in the likely event he dies before he finishes the books, some other author can pick up where he left off.

Justin - we convince you to read the Game of Thrones series yet?!

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
It has been reported that GRRMARTIN has taken steps to prevent anyone from continuing his work after his death.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA