New
Find
Notify
Tools

To Yoaunda Cameroun?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am traveling to a hunt in Cameroon in February. Anybody been to the airport there?? Wondering what I am in for? Any advice?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mominer,

I have not been through the airport in Yaounde, but I did fly into Douala and then take a bus to Yaounde, spent the night there, and then took a train north the next day. The airport in Douala was reasonably easy, but I did not have a gun and had someone to "help" me through customs. Hopefully your outfitter will have the same setup in Yaounde.

My general impression of Cameroon though is that everyone is looking for their slice of the pie, more so than other African countries I've traveled to. The people are also slightly more agressive in their tactics. Having said that, I liked it and I'm going back in March. Just make sure your outfitter will be there to meet you and you should have no problems. If I remember correctly, they also checked my yellow fever vaccination at the airport, so make sure you have that documentation with you.
Good luck!

Posts: 42 | Location: Texas & Kuwait | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Been there once to catch a Cam Airlines plane that was 20 hours late. As I remember it, we left the motel when the plane finally arrived. We drove very close to the plane before we got out of the car. We were told that our bags were already on the plane and we boarded without showing ID, without any tickets, and without any security screenings. I don't think we even entered a building before we boarded. It was wierd. I was surprised when the bags actually showed up in Doala. I figured they were gone forever.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've been through the Yaounde airport many times, but never with a firearm. No problems to speak of, since my suitcase is usually filled with old clothes, and I gladly open it for them.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Been to Cameroon on hunts twice. The last time my guns arrived a few days after me, but was sent on to camp by the outfitters man in the airport. When I was on my way home it turned out that the guns lacked several import stamps. Within a few minutes it seemed as though every official including the police knew. I had to deal out 100$ bills as fast as I have ever done in my whole life. It was very unpleasant.
Good hunting
CF

Posts: 489 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that they will hit you up for bribes in that airport .. History can repeat ... Roll Eyes Frowner

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's Africa. The outstretched palm is the continental symbol.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote