New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle without serial no.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have an old P F Sedgley I inherited. Was thinking to take it on a trip and realized it has no serial number visable. I can't remember if there was something under the stock when I took it apart when I first got it, but that wouldn't help much at the airport any way. What to do?

Posts: 1074 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a competent gunsmith to engrave one for you.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would also be my advice. Have one stamped on the receiver or engraved.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
It MUST have a serial number.
The number MUST be on a 4457 form.
As others have said, have a gunsmith engrave or stamp the number, any number on the barrel and action. Then, get the 4457 for international travel.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys. getting the 4457 was my concern. Just wasn't sure if the number was something I could just have done (create) at my whim.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
At you whim is fine--any number at all, but it must be engraved or stamped.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This happened to me on a trip to NZ. Had my birthday stamped on the receiver, everyone was happy at NZ customs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It can be a headache. I had a GEWEHR that had the serial number on the steel butt plate. My local guy did a very neat job of adding it to the action.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I recall, South Africa wants th s/n on both the action and the barrel.

Regards

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, going to have it put on the action this week, fiber optic front sight, work up some loads. If I can shoot peep sight adequately at 100 yards, then off across the pond we go!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they sure didn't look for one on the barrel on the Ruger No 1 I took over

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:

Regards

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Legally you can't just put the serial number on the gun. There are proper channels you have to go through.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
Legally you can't just put the serial number on the gun. There are proper channels you have to go through.

Peg, can you cite the statute addressing your statement? That would be a big change for those of us who have numbered personal property for years.

Thanks, Tom Van Diepen

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Regards
No.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:

Regards
No.

If the action and barrel both have serial numbers they do want them, especially when bringing more than one barrel for a rifle like the Blaser. If your barrel has no serial number then n/a is acceptable. If it has a serial number make sure you include it.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

So the authorities around the world keep registers on hand to check your firearm number against?
Just don't arrive at the border with two rifles having the same serial number that's all. Big Grin

Posts: 3869 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not in the States their are millions of pre 1968 arms with no serial numbers on them you can add one any time place you want to.

Let alone the many self manufactured guns out their.

Posts: 19407 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess we will have to agree to dis-agree. What happens if you pick a number that has already been chosen?
There are guide lines about putting serial numbers on firearms. Look it up.
I suggest you contact your local ATF office.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when I get home Thursday, I will let everybody know what the gunsmith suggested.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess we will have to agree to dis-agree. What happens if you pick a number that has already been chosen?

There are loads of firearms out there from mainstream manufacturers with the same serial numbers.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
As sheephunterab said, there are many, many replicating serial numbers out there on firearms. It's not unusual when LEO's run a serial number of a gun to have a half dozen pop up as stolen; different brands, different models, different calibers usually.

Pick a six digit number with your initials incorporated into it and have it professionally engraved. You are probably the only kid on the block with that type of firearm anyway.

Now, removing/defacing an existing serial number from a firearm and putting a new one on is an entirely different matter (very bad ju-ju)

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once had an old musket that was licensed under the regimental number stamped on it. Today, custom gunmakers offer custom serial numbers as part of the package, but one thing to bear in mind would be that in the 'States usually the receiver is the numbered component, and in some African countries the barrel is - but for visiting that shouldn't be a problem.

How does having a number affixed affect collectors' value if any?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess we will have to agree to dis-agree. What happens if you pick a number that has already been chosen? There are guide lines about putting serial numbers on firearms. Look it up.I suggest you contact your local ATF office.

As said there are a lot of duplicate serial numbers out. I would run into that when I was on the job when I would check a fire arm as stolen.

Make model caliber and some times owner applied numbers made the different.

Posts: 19407 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunsmith said "if you want to register the rifle you need to go through a process, otherwise, pick a number and we'll put it on the action"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own two Sakos with the same serial number. There are at least two more Sakos out there with that same number that I'm looking for.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are guide lines about putting serial numbers on firearms. Look it up.
I suggest you contact your local ATF office.

Peg,

You are just wrong on this. Do you think there is some great big book somewhere in the federal government that has all the serial numbers ever put on rifles, shotguns and pistols.

Custom gun makers use what ever they want for s/n. I've seen rifles with a bible versus s/n and couple others that used birthdays. Once in Namibia there was a hunter in front of us with S/N that was KC23MINN7. In case you are not a football fan, the score of the 1970 Superbowl was Kansas City 23 Minnesota 7. The hunter's father or grandfather was a player or coach that KC team. He had no problems getting his rifle into Namibia.

As long as there is a permanent identifier for a government official to put on a 4457, you will be fine.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One serial number on the action is required world wide. Many English guns have it on the trigger guard. Like all have said just have your gunsmith stamp one on it...Custom rifle builders do that all the time. I have them also lightly stamp it on the steel butt plate, so I don't have to take them out of the Tuff case..I have even printed them with a magic marker on the recoil pad and never had that questioned as long as it was the same as the form4457...If they ever ask I'll tell it is for your convience...

Pegleg, I have to disagree, and no I won't call ATF, why open a can of worms with them..BTW there are many duplications on firearms, so I ask you what difference would that make, the action in question is the only one that counts under any circumstances.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41907 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote