Find
Notify
Tools

Medical Coverage for RSA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted
What do you recommend for emergency Medical Coverage while hunting in South Africa? Med-Jet, Flying Doctor,Travel assist,NRA, or other?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I did a lot of research prior to my first trip and settled on Global Rescue. Their medevac procedures seem to be the very best including bringing you back home and they have a professional relationship with Johns Hopkins.

Several issues have been reported with MedJet medevac and TravelGuard. Do a search on this forum and they should pop up.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
I'll check into them.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Check the travelguard ad on the right of this page: http://www.shakariconnection.c...ravel-insurance.html where you'll be able to design the policy of your choice. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have used Global Rescue for years and have been quite happy with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did some research on this prior to SCI Reno and followed up at the Show on this very topic. When all was said and done I will be going with Global Rescue for my Sept. trip to Mozambique. If you don't want a whole years worth of coverage, and it does cover you Stateside a well, they have 7, 14 and 30 day coverage packages available. Haven't chosen my package yet. They have a website, www.GLOBALRESCUE.com, and had some really knowlegable folks in Reno.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use them as well. Keep in mind that their product is not medical insurance. It is for medical evacuation.

Generally US health policies do not cover you out of the country. You would be well advised to buy short term health insurance for travel out of the country. It is dirt cheap.

If you want to name, I will get my assistant to get me their website. I can't remember it in my old age.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LS - I am old too, so please pass along the Company name if you will on the health insurance. Thanks.

LS

quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I use them as well. Keep in mind that their product is not medical insurance. It is for medical evacuation.

Generally US health policies do not cover you out of the country. You would be well advised to buy short term health insurance for travel out of the country. It is dirt cheap.

If you want to name, I will get my assistant to get me their website. I can't remember it in my old age.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I have a Med Vac. policy from the NRA that I need to look at. Also I called my regular Ins. Co. and got a phone # that can be used outside the US to call them and found out what coverage I have out of country. I will also check with Global Rescue. But yes, please post where you got your short term coverage?
Larry S

One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Larry I agree that I would like to know where to buy the out-of-country medical insurance coverage....wonder it it's on Shakari's site? I will check.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

I have supplemented the medevac policy and oither insurance with trip insurance through TravelGuard for many trips; however, based on discussions here on the forums I changed to CSA Travel protection for the Sept trip. CSA covers up to $250K for emergency care and I believe that TG allows additional coverage.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be sure to follow up with your regular health insurance on coverage. Back in 2005 I had the bad luck to spend a few days in a hospital in RSA and my Blue Cross health insurance covered me less deductible. Of course I had to pay the bills out of pocket and file for reimbursement. The good side is that the 5 days in the hospital, doctors bills and all the meds were far less than what they would have cost in the US, total bill was only about $1800.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MultiNational Underwriters, LLC

www.worldtrips.com

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
I have a Med Vac. policy from the NRA that I need to look at. Also I called my regular Ins. Co. and got a phone # that can be used outside the US to call them and found out what coverage I have out of country. I will also check with Global Rescue. But yes, please post where you got your short term coverage?
Larry S

The evacuation policy the NRA sells states they will fly you out ONLY if medically necessary. So if you get the wrong RSA doc that sees the rich American in his hospital, he will likely deem your care there is adequate and you dont fly. MedJet and GR, IIRC, fly you if you WANT to be transferred, not just HAVE to be transfered. Big difference. Read the fine print.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote