Find
Notify
Tools

ammo boxes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I reload all my own ammo.
Can I take my 375 H and H ammo to Joburg and on to Zimbabwe in plastic boxes that are specifically for ammo? I have heard that ammo needs to be in original boxes.

Thanks

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you can if it is in the plastic boxes that hold individual shell. I have traveled to Zimbabwe on 2 separate occasions with re loads carried in this method . Check with your airline and print off a copy of their reg and print off a copy of the TSA reg and have it with you if you have any trouble. Good luck with your hunt . If you can check straight through to Zimbabwe try to avoid getting your guns in Jo berg If you do get your gun you will have to fill out an SAPS 520 an entire new story

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
In theory you should be able to use the plastic boxes designed for ammo. I to reload my own ammo and have taken it on several overseas trips for hunts (Africa and New Zealand). Never knowing what type ticket agent one will encounter at the airport I have always taken my ammo in the more "classic" style of factory ammo boxes which I have scounged from my local range after other shooters toss them into the trash cans. I think (but can't prove) one of the issues with the plastic boxes is that even tho the ammo fits in the boxes well and is better for protection than factory paper/cardboard boxes, is that the ammo tends to move around in the plastic box and makes noise and that "noise' is what has the potential to freak out ticket agents/TSA folks. I know that doesn't make sense, but then neither does TSA or ticket agents make sense sometimes in their interpertation of their agency rules. If I can't find original boxes in the range trash cans for the calibers I'm taking, I just use whatever appropriate sized boxes and internal holders I can find and then just remark the outside of the boxes to match the calibers I'm taking. Also since these are handloads, my load data for the ammo goes inside the box on either a 3x5 card or a sticky label (home made or store bought) on the inside of the end flap. This avoids potential questions by agents on whether its "factory" or not. Seems silly to go to this extreme, but if it makes the flight process easier, what can it hurt. Just my 2 cents worth.
Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dfo6,

I tend to be very cautiuos when traveling with guns and ammo. I try to cover ever possible scenario I can think of and as bisonhunter1 does I also use factory booxes. It is not required to use factory boxes but if you have them why not use them and eliminate any question for some uninformed official.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
awhile back my attorney friend (yes i have one - just one) who was quite the target shooter, was going to a outstate match. his ammo was in plastic boxes and the ticket agent told him hit had to be in factory boxes. He called the supervisor and explain that the ammo was his handloads, therefore he was the manufacturer and therefore the boxes were indeed manufacturer boxes. The supervisor agreed with him. don't know if that would work today or not, but is indeed a fact

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Most custom loaded ammo that I have had loaded for me by others has my information printed on an outside label attached to the MTM box (or whatever box they tend to use)(i.e. My name, the caliber, bullet, powder charge/powder, date loaded, etc.) I would think that you could do the same for your own reloads and be just fine. Just get some self stick labels from your local stationary store, print the information on them and then attach them to the plastic boxes with your reloads. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just get some self stick labels from your local stationary store, print the information on them and then attach them to the plastic boxes with your reloads.

This is what I;d do and as a matter of fact have made some labels for a previously unknown ammo manufacturer (myself). Avery makes great 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheets that are thick and print well. I make 5-round flat boxes and the quality rivals the Kynoch and my labels look better than theirs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Federal Premium boxes (clear plastic with a slide in insert that holds the individual shells) are much more compact than the old Federal Premium boxes and most decidedly "factory." I'd consider using those for your handloads.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Anybody have any empty 404 Jeffery factory boxes they'd be willing to sell send to me, preferably Norma? Seriously. I'll pay all costs of course.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just did Namibia with ammo in both "factory" and plastic ammo boxes. No problem at all. I do however put those boxes in lockable handgun boxes inside my checked baggage, Have not had any problems this way at all in 2 years. Remember No TSA locks on ammo or gun cases.

One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
What type of lock is permissible ? Headed to south Africa in august .

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Most custom loaded ammo that I have had loaded for me by others has my information printed on an outside label attached to the MTM box (or whatever box they tend to use)(i.e. My name, the caliber, bullet, powder charge/powder, date loaded, etc.) I would think that you could do the same for your own reloads and be just fine. Just get some self stick labels from your local stationary store, print the information on them and then attach them to the plastic boxes with your reloads. Big Grin
tu2 This is exactly how my 300 RSAUM custom loaded ammunition was delivered by Nosler.

Purchase some of the peel and stick 2 labels per 8 1/2" x 11" sheet from an office supply store and generate your own custom labels....slap them on your plastic boxes and you're good to go.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote