THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    anything new about traveling with a Tuff pak

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anything new about traveling with a Tuff pak
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's been awhile since I last made the trip, planning on flying Delta from Atlanta to Jo-Berg in September. Has anything changed with the use of a Tuff Pak? Do they now want ammo w/ the gun or separate piece of checked luggage. Just trying to avoid any surprises (as best that I can )

Thanks

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year, the ammo had to be in a separate checked bag. And I took my Tuffpak

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1118 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
I used a bright yellow Pelican case for my ammunition and checked it as separate bag. Even though it's kind of small compared to suitcases, etc., this made it easy to spot and had my name in permanent marker on the outside. I use TSA locks, and not padlock that only I have the key to.

You don't need this for every leg of the flight, but for departing South Africa you do, and I found it easier to just do it this way.

As far as the Tuffpak, there's been no issues. Mine has the old style vending machine kind of lock, not TSA, and there's been no problems.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ammo has to be packed separately coming back from RSA, in a locked bag. Going over it can be packed with the firearm as far as JNB. Last time thru JNB they were not even looking at ammo.

I will add that tuffpaks are heavy and with the 50lb limit, you can't fully utilize the tuffpak and stay under that limit. In the past, the airlines have overlooked this. This year, Delta is charging excess weight.

Another strange thing ... no TSA. They just loaded my tuffpak on the belt along with the other bags after I put the orange tag inside. This was at DFW. My buddy originated at PDX and they made him do the secondary TSA search.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Took my Tuff Pak to Namibia and Botswana last year. Transit through South Africa coming and going. Zero questions, zero issues, zero concerns. So much better than a metal case IMO.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for everyone's input. One last question, for locks on the TuffPak, I want to use traditional padlocks not TSA versions correct?

Thanks again

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Correct. By the way, my last trip to Africa last year I packed two double rifles in their soft cases, -all in a Tuff Sak along with my fanny pack which included knives and other items that you cannot safely pack in your other carry on for fear of theft. All of it reained well under 50 lbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks again all and good hunting,

Jim