Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone travelled without listing their firearms on the 4457 form? Since the only reason for the forms is to establish ownership before travelling overseas, would there be any problems upon return to CONUS, providing, of course, that you really did not purchase the item overseas.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The form is also to prove to US customs that you owned them before you left the country and are returning with only what you left with. Dave

Posts: 269 | Location: South East Florida | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BC Also a lot of African countries think and use this form as proof of ownership and registration of your firearms. (even though this is not the case of course). I have had this form requested in Namibia, RSA and Mozambique in the past. My PH requested copies of this form containing the guns we are bringing to Moz. in August to pre purchase our gun permits for there.

I personally would not travel anywhere out of Country without this form. It could save a lot of hassels and is really simple to get.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by dave sorel:
The form is also to prove to US customs that you owned them before you left the country and are returning with only what you left with. Dave

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is really easy to get, I just got a new one yesterday. I walk over to the Federal building, shoot the shit with the customs and border patrol guy for a few minutes, he stamps it and I leave. It really is that easy.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last three times I returned to the US (once through each of Memphis, Houston & Detroit) with firearms the customs agent has requested to see my 4457. Prior to that (probably a dozen trips), I had the forms but nobody asked to see them. Maybe I have just caught the wrong agents over the past two years but I would guess they have stepped up enforcement.

And as Larry noted, everybody else wants them too. I just sent copies of mine to the Dutch police yesterday so I can transit through Amsterdam next month.

Richard

Posts: 41 | Location: Memphis, Tennessee | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
When I had my "issues" in Frankfurt. The Delta representative asked to see "your papers that say you are allowed to have a gun". Instead of telling him that I didn't need such papers, I showed him my 4457 and he was mollified.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, don't complain about the 4457. Bureaucrats in other countries take it as gospel, and it is simply to get from your local customs office.

Traveling without it would, at a minimum, put you in jeopardy of having your guns confiscated by one authority or another, including the U.S.
Customs service upon your return.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Bryan,

My experience echos the other posters here. After several years of dutifully having my 4457 form ready upon return to the States (and never being asked for it!), I was sure proud that I had it when we came back thru Dulles three weeks ago. The officer wasn't interested in seeing the guns per se, but he definitely wanted to see the form!

The forms can be helpful in other countries and (if asked for) could sure save a lot of explaining back here in the States.

If you can get by a US Customs office, I've never had the first problem getting one...in fact the folks have always been friendly and helpful, as well as more than a little curious about where I'm headed!

Best of luck,

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 603 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience in other countries is that they take the 4457 as gospel that you own the firearm. Even though I was traveling with a borrowed rifle I had a 4457 in my name so no questions asked.

The last time I came back to the states thru Dulles, like 218 Bee, the officals did not look at the rifles but they sure wanted to see the 4457. Even though I could of had any 4457 for any gun as they did not bother to match it to the rifle since they did not even look at the rifles. When I came back in thru Atlanta they did match the 4457 to the rifles.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't go without your 4457 form.In my three trips I have always been check leaving and returning. You can also list other "expenceive" items, eg. camers, scopes, etc. on the 4457 to show proof of ownership and to show you did not purchse them outsde of the USA. Best of luck. Have a great trip.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It isn't just for firearms. Anything you're taking that has a serial number should be listed - your camera(s), camera lenses, scopes, binoculars, watch (if it's expensive), rangefinder, GPS, etc.

The real purpose of the form is to insure you are trying to avoid paying custom fees.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the reason I was polling the collective wisdom here is I bought another firearm while we were in Dallas for DSC and put off going to Irving and acquiring another 4457. Now, it appears that when we head off across the pond we arrive in Dallas Friday evening and leave early Monday morning. Customs is closed during this time frame and I was wondering if I would have any difficulty coming back. I don't believe that customs will confiscate the firearm, however, any delay at Dulles will probably cause me to miss the connecting flight to Dallas

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They don't have a customs office in St. Thomas?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, of course, we have a customs office here. We, however, are not allowed to possess firearms except for one home self defense firearm, so, we store our firearms in Dallas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Customs is closed during this time frame

Are you sure they are closed, the customs office in Atlanta is open 7 days a week from 8am to 5pm.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
The purpose of the form in the US is proof of ownership. A sales receipt or transfer with serial number would serve the same purpose at US customs. Not the same in other countries. As has been pointed out some consider the form a permit or license.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, a receipt will serve as proof of ownership for return through U.S. Customs, but as stated above, it will not serve as proof of firearm "license" in African countries. Get a letter from your COP for this.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote