New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo/no gun??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this has been brought up here before. In light of how things are always changing thought some current info on the subject would be in order?

I am planning an extended stay, couple of months maybe, in Mozambique this year to "hang out" with my PH in the camps. I may want to hunt a bit, but will not go thru the hassle of taking my own rifles. The PH has two brand new CZ's in 375 H & H and 300 H & H that will be available to me if needed/wanted.

So the question is, can I take ammo for these two without the guns in possesion? I will not be overnighting in RSA and all luggage will be checked straight thru from New Mexico to Biera, Mozambique. I am told there will be no problem on the Moz end, just wondering what the "actual" rules are now? Thanks.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Help!! Surely someone in this vast pool of knowledge that is AR, has some info on the question at hand??

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Larry-

If you are going through the Transit area at JNB, there should be no problem; simply claim and re-check baggage. You must enter the airport through the In Transit Passengers door after getting off the bus. I have never had any inspection issues upon arrival in Beira. What area of Moz will you be in? Have some of those great Moz shrimp for me.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Larry,

My suggestion is to ask your friend to buy the ammo for you, and have it there.

This would certainly stop any problems that might arise for travelling with ammo without a rifle.

From my understanding, different countries have different requirements, and these change very frequently.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike and Saeed for the replies.

Mike, I will be in the area around and in Coutada 10. The shrimp will be on the menu in Biera before heading into the bush for sure.

Last year my rifle and my friends rifle were in a Tuffpak together. That left me basically with ammo in my checked bag with no rifle to match up with me. So, can't see the difference in that situation and one where you just have ammo in your checked bag??

Anyone else have something on this?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took shotgun shells with me to Zim, overnighted in Joburg, no problem. I had rifles but no shotgun. Don't know if this helps.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
On one of my many trips to Africa we stayed, as usual, at Afton House. This very subject came up and Louis gave everyone a stern lecture about bringing ammo over without the proper rifle to match with it. He said that it was illegal to do so and warned all of us not to do it. Now, I don't know the exact rules, but based upon what Louis said and based upon Saeed's advice, I wouldn't take any ammo without a matching rifle traveling with me. Just my two cent's worth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG - I agree with you and Saeed if "overnighting" in JBerg and actually entering RSA it would probably not be a good idea.

I will be transferring to a flight to Biera within a few hours of landing in RSA and the bags will be checked straight through from Albuquerque to Biera. Just wondering if this scenerio was different than the one where you actually claim bags in JBerg, stay overnight and then recheck bags the next day? Thanks.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
On one of my many trips to Africa we stayed, as usual, at Afton House. This very subject came up and Louis gave everyone a stern lecture about bringing ammo over without the proper rifle to match with it. He said that it was illegal to do so and warned all of us not to do it. Now, I don't know the exact rules, but based upon what Louis said and based upon Saeed's advice, I wouldn't take any ammo without a matching rifle traveling with me. Just my two cent's worth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RSA now puts the ammo on your Import Permit and they do check it, some of the time. By inference, you can't have ammo without a permit.

If you are transiting through, your bags should be transferred without your having to touch them, unless you booked the two tickets separately. If that's the case, then you will have to claim and recheck your bags at JNB, and that's where you my get into a spot of bother.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I would presume that with a direct transit through SA and the appropriate Moz permit that you should have no problem.
"Should" and "presume" are interesting words when included with "Africa" though.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ,

Bags will be checked from Albuquerque straight thru to Biera, Moz same as last year. In Joberg we asked the guy at the transfer desk if our bags had indeed arrived on our inbound flight and if they were scheduled for the Biera flight. The answer was yes and yes, saw the bags go on the flight to Biera no problem. Never had to touch the bags after leaving Albuquerque.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
RSA now puts the ammo on your Import Permit and they do check it, some of the time. By inference, you can't have ammo without a permit.

If you are transiting through, your bags should be transferred without your having to touch them, unless you booked the two tickets separately. If that's the case, then you will have to claim and recheck your bags at JNB, and that's where you my get into a spot of bother.

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
In the for what it is worth colum --- on previous trips to address this issue I have requested and obtained a letter from the PH or outfitter that lists a rifle of the desired caliber for rent -- basically a lease agreement for the rifle/ caliber of amunition being transported ---- not sure if this is legal but worked for me.
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 933 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Check out this thread on this forum that happened in Zim.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...8121043/m/9801087821

and this was for a box of (50) projectiles, not loaded ammo.

I'm inclined to bring two or three hundred extra US dollars to cover ammo costs and not risk the problem.

Posts: 3281 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As stated earlier, on my last two trips to Zim, through SA and overnighting, I took shotgun shells and .22 ammo and did not have a weapon for each caliber. Listed the ammo on the SAPS and Zim paperwork, never got a hint of a problem by those checking the paperwork.??? Was I lucky?

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the comments. As stated I am NOT staying overnight in RSA and am not going to ZIM.

Matt - the thread you mention is not relevant that I can see to my issue. This was a problem with reloading components going to Zim. I am wondering about taking ammo only, no gun, checking bags straight through from home to final destination in Moz. Not a $$ issue on getting ammo in Moz, but one of availability.

My concern would be with US airlines, will be going throught Frankfurt. Frankfurt problem? On to Joberg continuing on to Biera, Moz.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Larry,
my concern would be the clearing of customs in Beira without the neccesary documents or import permits for the ammunition.
If you get nailed at customs without the required paperwork, the very least that could happen is that the ammo will be confiscated.
I suggest contacting Bahati or Freischutz on this forum in this regard before taking a chance.
my 2c

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a customs issue as well as a legal issue. If you have ammo and no matching firearm, the implication is obviously that you are "smuggling" ammo in for a friend. Also, in many African countries, it's illegal to possess ammo without a matching firearms permit. Think Mexico.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote