THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Question? Firearms Travel on Air France

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question? Firearms Travel on Air France
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted
I am working out the flight arrangements for my upcoming safari in 2009 and at the same time trying to use AMEX points to at least cover the airfare from Dulles to JNB. Right now the only carrier that will accomodate the dates that I need while using upgradable miles is AirFrance through Paris Degal. I was hoping that one of the members on the forum has had experiance with this route recently and can provide some information on the requirements for traveling with firearms and the overall satisfaction with the airlines. I have been to the website and spoken with a ticket agent and there is enough ambiguity to raise the antenna...

Thanks for the help

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Air France only one time (may 08) and I will be using them agin in 2 weeks. I fly Seattle to Paris CDG then to Douala. I use Gracy but I can say you need to pre-arrange your guns/case and ammo/case so it is on your ticket record. Their web site explains what they need for guns and ammmo.

I have only done one hunt with them so my experience is of no value really. Personally I had no complaints. France is a breeze with guns especially compared to South Africa and the USA for foreigners who come here with guns.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I flew from New York to Charles DeGaulle on Air France in July and then with Air France on to Joburg. On the way home it was Air France from JoBurg to Paris and on to Detroit. No problems whatsoever. Very friendly and helpful. I will say this, you need to have your airline agent make sure that the gun permits with Air France are completed before you leave and permission has been given for you to carry your rifles and ammo on the airline. I used Shawn Kennedy of Gracy for this and she had everything arranged ahead of time and out of the way. I would definitely fly with Air France again, without any hesitation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As UEG said.
I have used them twice from Oslo via Paris to Johannesburg and back home with no problems at all.
Calling their service desk might bring up some strange answers about traveling with guns though Eeker

Informing the ticket office that you are bringing sporting firearms, they will ask for gun type, caliber, size and weigt on the gun case, amount of ammo and that´s about it.

Give them ample time ( at least a forthnight before traveling) and they will confirm back that all is ok.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
What everyone said is exactly right.

Your boarding passes will actually have the word "WEAPON" printed on them. Do get Air France's approval at least two weeks in advance. It takes them about a week to 10 days to grant it. Do not carry ammunition in the same case or duffel bag as the rifles.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HB,

Charles DeGaulle airport is a little bit of goat rope but if you follow the signs you'll be fine. Air France is very easy to deal with as far as weapons are concerned.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12877 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that Air France is gun friendly as I just booked my next trip with them.I will get started on the permitting issue right away.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, On hold with Air France now to register everything... Just good to be able to use frequent flyer miles for a change

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote