Notify
Tools

Review Ethopian Airlines
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The plane over is a 787 brand new.
That's where the good part ends.
There is absolutely no customer service in Dulles or Ethopia.
Every flight we seen was delayed, cancelled or over booked.
They have no communication skills if your plane is delayed you are on your own.
We could not get computer printed tickets with seat assignments everything was who ever had the most pull got seats.
It is the most unorganized airline I have ever seen.
Overall observation and recommendation
PLEASE STAY AWAY.
BACK TO SOUTH AFRICAN I GUESS.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to say it, but you expected exactly what?

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well since this airline is a Star Alliance member I would expect them to have some type of respect for the travelers.
I can understand mechanical failures but the lack of orginazation, customer service and just honest communication is not acceptable.
I have flown almost all th major airlines and have never felt so lost.
I have sent their customer service a letter asking for some consideration will let you know what comes about. Not expecting much if anything maybe just a response
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are flying them later this month LHR-JNB. So, given your experience, can you give me any tips. We are in Business. Might this help?
Anything?

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flew with them a few years ago from dulles to dar. Business class isn't bad and they treat you good. Don't be surprised if you get delayed a day as they don't seem to care about keeping flight schedules.

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DAL:
We are flying them later this month LHR-JNB. So, given your experience, can you give me any tips. We are in Business. Might this help?
Anything?

I flew them in 2011. Not the worst flight but they didn't seem all that familiar with travelers with firearms. If you are traveling with one, I would strongly suggest you have a copy of your firearms permit for JNB in advance if at all possible (I had to get Fairgame to email me mine while I was at the airport). Furthermore, they wanted to see it again AFTER I departed Zambia in Addis. They were friendly about it, just didn't know what the hell to do. I was within 5 minutes of missing my flight in Addis on my way home and was prepared to leave my rifle there when a supervisor showed up and gave the OK.

The only other thing I noticed about them that I haven't experienced with most other airlines was that they weigh and measure almost every carry on.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Nothing in this post inspires any confidence in them whatsoever. Sounds like third world at its best.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
typical third world sh---ole service. why would anyone knowingly subject themselves to this after reading this post.brings to mind a few old jokes about Ethiopia which i won't bother to repeat....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DAL:
Anything?

tips?? change your ticket

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I must say my experience was much different.

Not delta, but i also saved $2,500 on my tickets.

Like George said put a copy of your paperwork in your gun case. I was prepaired and it was no big deal. Opened my gun case got the security guy to verify the serial number matched my paper work and i was off.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
typical third world sh---ole service. why would anyone knowingly subject themselves to this after reading this post...

It wasn't that bad. Sure the plane had a little hair under the wings but I wouldn't call it sh--hole service.

I would considered flying them again but with a firearm gives me pause.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GUYS SERIOUSLY!!!

It's an ETHIOPIAN airline. More than one highly experienced airline captain has been on here warning against using any 3rd world African airline. I don't care what they tell you, in places like Ethiopia you can get lots of maintenance inspections and pilot qualifications/ medicals "taken care of" with the liberal application of cash into the correct hands of the correct "officials".

Would you go to Ethiopia to have a hip replacement done if it saved you a couple of grand?

People never fail to amaze me. We demand the highest safety standards, customer service, on time schedule and hassle free travel. But all that flies out the window if you can find a ticket for a few bucks less.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks let's be realistic - Ethiopian, Egypt Air and Turkish are probably the cheapest carriers on the market today (Turkish however stands apart) and as the old saying goes: "Buy cheap get cheap".

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Oddly, EAL international used to be highly thought of. Knew Captain Tew, an American who flew for them in the 60's and on -- lived with his family in Addis and came to church at our mission HQ. It was his flight that first dealt severely with hijacker, on an EAL jet...

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elk,

Did you get a response to your inquiry? I doubt it, but we'd be interested in hearing. Sorry to be so cavalier about your predicament, as I can only imagine what you endured, but I would never fly international on an African airline, given a choice. I'm going to be forced to fly an African airline later this year within the country, but there is no choice other than a private charter that is cost-prohibitive. I do hear good things about Namibian Air, but have not flown them.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote