THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Anyone Lost Any Bags At Phoenix Airport?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Lost Any Bags At Phoenix Airport?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Two people suspected of stealing up to 1000 pieces of luggage from baggage claim carousels at Phoenix's airport have been arrested by police who found heaps of the stolen bags strewn throughout their home.

There were so many suitcases that Phoenix police could only give a rough estimate of their number as they pulled them out one by one and gathered them in the yard of Keith Wilson King and Stacy Lynne Legg-King's suburban residence.

"A piece of luggage here, a piece of luggage there, I would imagine gets stolen out of airports all the time," Phoenix police Detective James Holmes said. "This is a livelihood. There's a lot of luggage and there's a lot of victims."

King, 61, and Legg-King, 38, were arrested on Monday local time, and each was booked into jail on charges of theft of property and possession of stolen property. Legg-King also was arrested on suspicion of tampering with evidence. It was not immediately clear how the two are related.

Both denied requests to be interviewed, and it was unclear whether they had attorneys.

Holmes said investigators do not know how long the thefts have been happening, or whether more people were involved. All the luggage tags that would help identify the bags' owners were removed, he said.

Police first arrested King on a misdemeanour theft charge about three weeks ago when an officer saw him park at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, take a piece of luggage from one of the baggage claim carousels and get back into his car. He was released, and police began conducting surveillance on him.

Holmes said police followed King to the airport on Monday and watched him take a piece of luggage that wasn't his and return to his home with it. They found the hundreds of other bags after searching the house Tuesday.

The home was in complete disarray, Holmes said, with the luggage, clothing and other items including garbage scattered about.

"The amount of luggage being stored inside of the residence was almost surreal," Officer Kendall Goo wrote in a court document.

Deborah Ostreicher, a spokeswoman for the Phoenix airport, said airlines stopped checking passengers' baggage claim tickets there sometime in the last 10 years as a cost-cutting measure.

She said airport officials and airlines are working together to assess security at the airport and are talking about checking passengers' bag tags again.

"We're evaluating a lot of different possibilities," she said.

Meanwhile, she said passengers should avoid putting critical medications or expensive items in checked luggage, clearly mark their bags, and pick them up as soon as possible after landing.

Source: The New Zealand Herald

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems, with our liberal methods of dealing with criminals, the thieves, the guys that did this in J-berg have moved to the US>

When will public floggings be started up again?

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
Phoenix, San Antonio, Orlando and lots of other popular destinations have essentially zero security in the baggage area. The only thing you can do to protect your belongings is to make certain that you're there when the carousel starts -- if you're not, there's a good chance that you'll lose something.

That said, when traveling home from distant points, it's not uncommon to have to connect at one of the big hubs and find that my luggage didn't fly home with me, but came in an earlier flight. This is not ordinarily approblem with guns because they take special care of them, but I feel very fortunate to have never permaently lost one of my other bags.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Add Vegas to that list as well. One thing that I am going to do on the next flight to Africa is take hard sided luggage. It weighs a little more, but I looked at some Samsonite luggage yesterday at the outlet mall and found just exactly what I'm looking for. This type of wheeled hard sided luggage has a great handle, four wheels that turn on a dime, has a TSA approved combination lock, and NO ZIPPERS!

One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
I fly quite a bit each year and it always bothered me that there was no checking of the baggage claim tickets as one departs with their luggage. I specifically went to carry ons for this very reason. Wonder how many others have not been caught? Shame this happened but sounds like the airport will start checking bag tags again.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote