Find
Notify
Tools

Capetown
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted
Heading to SA on May 28th. Delta from Atlanta to JNB and was thinking about flying down to Cape Town the next day. Anybody have any family oriented tour operators/guides they can recommend? Any to stay away from? Any must do things?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
If the weather allows, make time to take the cable car to the top of Table Mountain.

If you are interested in and enjoy wine, the wine lands are beautiful but I think to get the most out of it you would require more than a full day. Best have a guide for this. Most areas are 45 minutes to an hour from the city. There is lots of great mountain scenery along the way.

A drive along the coast is nice as well. You can go see the penguins. Kids would probably like that if you are bringing them.

The Cape of Good Hope/Table Mountain Nature Reserve is neat to see. Kind of a bleak/windy landscape but the walk up to the Cape of Good Hope overlook is worth doing. Watch out for the cheeky baboons.

I can recommend Leslie Cox with Amber tours. Especially for the wine tours but I am sure she can put together anything you like. She can recommend excellent places to eat as well.

Great City. Lots to do and see there...but would be a challenge to cram it all into one day. 3-4 would be better. If you have limited time, the cable car to the top of Table MT. is your must do thing.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam

All that Grafton says above is good info.

See also these tour people that were recommended by my hotel [The Commodore, near the V&A Wharf].

www.cape-escape-tours.co.za

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have visited Cape Town three times after safari's. Usually spend 4 days to a week. I have used Somac tours twice both were great. Also used a hotel recommended operator, he also was good. If gems happen to interest you go to the Diamond exchange it's quite a place. There is much to see, eat and drink in the area. My wife loves it, especially the Diamomnd exchange. Cape Town is safer than most places. If you stay near the V&A water front you can see a lot on foot and never feel uneasy. We stay at the Portswood Hotel, it's the sister to the Commodore. I would recommend it..........Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tapper2:
I have visited Cape Town three times after safari's. Usually spend 4 days to a week. I have used Somac tours twice both were great. Also used a hotel recommended operator, he also was good. If gems happen to interest you go to the Diamond exchange it's quite a place. There is much to see, eat and drink in the area. My wife loves it, especially the Diamomnd exchange. Cape Town is safer than most places. If you stay near the V&A water front you can see a lot on foot and never feel uneasy. We stay at the Portswood Hotel, it's the sister to the Commodore. I would recommend it..........Tom

what about cage diving with great whites?

" Knowledge without experience is just information. "

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Man, Capetown is a must do!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16521 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Cape Town is awesome. We also always go there on any trip to Africa.

If Table Mountain is clear of cloud and fog, GO RIGHT THEN. Do not wait for another day as it may not be as clear. Franshoek is better for winerys than Stellenbosck these days. We stay in Camps Bay and hire a car. Most car hire companys will deliver and pick up.

Good value restaurants along Camps Bay Beach.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cape town is very beautiful and well worth the trip. I second Leslie cox with amber tours. She is very nice and very knowledgable of the area.

Posts: 18 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go watch rugby in Stellenbosch.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1108 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
table mountain is a must. bring binocs, while hiking the trails , pay attention and see some tahr.

there is a museum and aquarium that is family friendly and a nice diversion.

waterfront has good grub and shopping.

addo park is just up the road as well as shamwari.

i did visit a private game park from town but can't remember the name offhand. nice for pics and grub. game meats represented.

wine tastings are abundant in the area. chocolates are well represented.

used to be an amusement park but don't know if it's in use now.

never did the shark cage, but will next trip.

world class city,have fun !

If u want missing trophies,stolen trophies,crap mounts or replacement minature trophies .....use KARL HUMAN TAXIDERMY in east london, south africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
forgot to add , if your so inclined you can take a boat out to robbins island and take a tour. i found it interesting and bought a book of poetry from an old inmate who now functioned as a guide.

southernmost point in africa is nearby and set up as a park. don't feed the baboons ! Eeker they won't let u get away easy.

If u want missing trophies,stolen trophies,crap mounts or replacement minature trophies .....use KARL HUMAN TAXIDERMY in east london, south africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just came through Cape Town earlier this week and hired a driver/tour guide for two days. Jack Pretorius is as good as it gets!! He is a retired firefighter, so knows his stuff and is very professional.
Btw, on the way back from Table Mountain, we drove down the street the skateboarder was clocked at 110 kph the week before. See the video, its a blast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt_ZL6rWHLA
JACK PRETORIUS of Tumbleweed Tours jack@tumbleweedtours.co.za
His cell is (+27) 076 400 9807

Recommended by David and Lori Little

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
http://www.capetownhuntingsafaris.co.za/

Outfitters/guides Joe and Nicole da Silva are my friends. They offer one-day bird hunts within an hour of the city as well as tours of the area at reasonable prices. They can arrange anything you want to do.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote