New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atlanta Delta agents
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone ever had an agent in ATL ask for your South African firearms permit?

Heard of it this weekend, and wanted to ask, as I know Qatar wants to see one when boarding in Chicago, but never heard of it anywhere else.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3992 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I had a United agent ask for it at San Francisco. They also wanted a firearm permit for the UK since I was transiting through Heathrow.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12589 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a Delta Agent ask for it and I told her politely that I would be obtaining it on landing in Joburg at SAPS. I can't recall if I showed her my completed application or not, but she got the message. Unless you have completed it ahead of time and obtained a pre-approval through a service, all for your convenience, there is no way to have it issued in hand when boarding in the U.S. that I am aware of. In fact, SAPS still has to physically check the rifles and clear them upon your arrival, in order to verify serial numbers and such, and then sign and stamp everything. Those using a service usually have pre-approval VIP status at SAPS and the VIP Service will have your original pre-approved permit in their possession. Query: Are you stating that they want to see the completed application or an actual issued permit? It cannot be finally completed and issued until you arrive with the firearms at the SAPS office in Jo-burg.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not at Atlanta, but at DFW. I explained that the permit wouldn’t be received until arrival in Joburg, that worked for that particular agent on that particular day.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2813 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Orlando,yes. Several times.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]. Query: Are you stating that they want to see the completed application or an actual issued permit? It cannot be finally completed and issued until you arrive with the firearms at the SAPS office in Jo-burg.

When I went last time on Qatar thru Chicago, they asked, and I had a copy of the permit with me
that Air2000 had provided, and all was well.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3992 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had delta ask me that a couple times at MSP as well, but while it took a manager, (and them telling the agent it was on my head to deal with the foreign government) they did let me on the plane…

Posts: 10769 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote