THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Can I bring back a tanned Springbok hide on the plane to the US?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I bring back a tanned Springbok hide on the plane to the US?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted
One of my neighbors would like a Springbok hide. My father and I leave tomorrow for RSA and I'm wondering if I can buy one and bring it back on the aircraft with me. If so, what's the process? If not, I suppose I can find one and have it shipped back in the crate with my trophies.

Posts: 1245 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My opinion is "Yes".

They sell them at the airport so I can't see why not.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
In theory probably not unless it at least has a vet clearance certificate with it but in reality, you probably wouldn't have a problem...... esp if you bought it at the airport.

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
We often have people buy tanned skins an take them over with no problems. I've gone through a Agricultural search in Atlanta with 2 for my booth with no problems. Needs to be tanned though F.N.B!!

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
They sell them at the Out of AFrica gift shop at the airport in Joberg. Price is about $80 which I've been told is quite high by folks in Africa.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. That'll work just fine. My neighbors are South African and would like one for the wall.

Posts: 1245 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
They sell them at the Out of AFrica gift shop at the airport in Joberg. Price is about $80 which I've been told is quite high by folks in Africa.

It is expensive but it's not going to break the bank and if you bear in mind you don't pay any shipping costs doing it that way, it's probably still on the high side but not dramatically so.

That said, look at the skin carefully because they'll probably be from cull animals and skinning standards won't be as high as trophy skinning so holes etc will be more likely.

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
No idea how to spell this, but "...by-a-dankie" gents.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
After paying the dip and pack, shipping to US, US broker, shipping to taxidermist, tannery bill and shipping to you, that $80 springbok skin you pick up at the airport will be the cheapest african trophy in your house.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badger Matt:
No idea how to spell this, but "...by-a-dankie" gents.

Baie Dankie Smiler

U can get them at curio shops or taxidermists for R 350 - R 400 $40-$50 depending on Xchange rate R7-R10/$

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a zebra skin at Cambanos and Son (www.cambanos.com) and the only trouble I had bringing it into Canada was explaining to the {ahem} challenged Customs agent was the difference between tanned and raw skin. BTW, the same skin at Joberg airport was R22000. At Cambanos it was R9500. Don't pay the premium, last minute price at the airport.

Taxidermists will have them, too. I was offered for about R10000, but hadn't made up my mind at the time.

BTW, Cambano's will ship to you, as well, but my skin folded up neatly into my checked bag.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
African Game Tannery in Swartruggens, owned by George Bester can easily accommodate you.. I have bought both tanned capes and finished goods (beautiful soft gun cases made from Springbok capes) and brought them home. They do all the proper paperwork (vet cert, invoice, etc..) required to legally bring them home and his prices are very good.

Last time I was at his shop he had an arm chair made from Buffalo hide for sale - OMG!!! it was incredible!!

http://www.wildleather.co.za

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Wow, ten years ago a tanned springbok hide was R100 (less than $15) at the airport and almost free anywhere else.. I guess everything goes up. You should have no issues bringing a tanned springbok skin home.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:

$80 for a springbok is not high- it is highway robbery... i have bought a lot of tanned springbok hides from taxi.shops and brought them home to make pillows. never paid over $25....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13179 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
JDollar = I agree completely. As you know, I just returned from a hunt with Karl Stumpfe in Namibia. Their camp in Sobbe had springbuck hides on the floors as mats. Karl told me he pays about $25 apiece for them from a tannery in Winhock. Unfortunately, we're weren't any where near there or I would have bought two. I passed on the Out of Africa ripoff at the airport.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
African Game Tannery in Swartruggens, owned by George Bester can easily accommodate you.. I have bought both tanned capes and finished goods (beautiful soft gun cases made from Springbok capes) and brought them home. They do all the proper paperwork (vet cert, invoice, etc..) required to legally bring them home and his prices are very good.

Last time I was at his shop he had an arm chair made from Buffalo hide for sale - OMG!!! it was incredible!!

That is a great place. I was in their shop a little over a month ago. My buddy paid $25 each for tanned springbok hides and had no problems with customs. He did have all paperwork, vet certs, etc but they weren't necessary.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to gunBroker, look for worldwidewildlifeproducts, they have them and other animal skins already here for $50,

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
My PH gave me a nice springbok tanned skin.... I just rolled it up and stuck it in with my clothes.... I had a nice bundle of porcupine quills in there as well... no problem on either end....

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Staley Keck
posted Hide Post
You might want to check ebay, 45.00 all day long, then you avoid customs all together..

Posts: 79 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 06 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents:

Just met with US. Customs and USF&W here in Tampa this morning clearing last years trophies we shipped back with us as checked baggage. I've been doing this for the past several years.

Bringing back your own trophies from previous years hunts with you as extra baggage is actually pretty easy - even CITES Appendix II animals. I haven't actually done an Appendix I animal...yet.

I specifically asked both a US Customs and USF&W agent (they were there at the same time and part of the same conversation) the OP exact question about bringing back skins being offered for sale at O.R. Tambo.

Both said "yes" provided you do the exact same documentation process as is required for trophy hunted animals. i.e. Export permit, veterinary clearance, and USF&W import permit and items must be declared with US Customs at your initial US Port of Entry.

I asked if people try to bring them in without the correct paperwork - yes, and if caught the items are confiscated as a minimum with possible arrest depending on how many and what animals. If not caught and they get through they said don't ever try to sell any of it as "they" monitor Internet sites like Ebay and if the seller doesn't have export/import docs on file with USF&W and can't prove when and where they got it, "they" will confiscate it as a minimum with possible prosecution depending on the quantity and species.

Don't shoot the messenger - me. I am just relaying what I was told this very morning by a USF&W agent I have been working with bringing my personal stuff back for several years and a US Customs agent she has worked with for several years.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:

That is a great place. I was in their shop a little over a month ago. My buddy paid $25 each for tanned springbok hides and had no problems with customs. He did have all paperwork, vet certs, etc but they weren't necessary.

George is a great guy.. I hunted at his place in 2011 with my son - shot a huge brown hyena there. Did you see the bags he makes? When I stop by this Sept I'm gonna buy one or two..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote