Find
Notify
Tools

CPAP on flight to africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
Has anyone used a CPAP machine aboard a flight to Africa? If so did you use a batery backup or where you able to plug right into the aircraft power supply? Likewise did you need power adapters.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Singleshot,

I was able to plug my CPAP ditectly into the outlet on my last flight. I did need a combo of adapter plugs but it all worked out nicely. I have two batteries and just keep one charging in the Cruiser at all times. Slick!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, interested in your battery setup. I have a large battery unit that has 120v outlets, but I couldn't imagine hauling that all the way to Africa - it weighs at least 30 lbs!! Two of them would put me into extra weight charges that would probably be more than the cost of the units themelves.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana,

I bought the whole rig from CPAP and it all fits in the CPAP case. Not an inconvenient rig at all. Just call CPAP and they will send you the whole rig appropriate for your machine.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Singleshot,

I was able to plug my CPAP ditectly into the outlet on my last flight. I did need a combo of adapter plugs but it all worked out nicely. I have two batteries and just keep one charging in the Cruiser at all times. Slick!

Mark,
Did the CPAP count as your carryon or were you still allowed the normal carryon?

Thanks

Mark

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AfrcanHunter.

The CPAP is considered my one personal item. Actually when I travel where I know the batteries won't be necessary I stash quite a bit of stuff in the CPAP case allowing my carry-on to be quite small.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Mark, has the CPAP limited your ability to hunt anywhere or is that where the batteries come in to play?

I was reading on another forum that the CPAP is a medical device so it doesn't count against the number of bags you can carryon.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I am really glad to see this post. Because of sleep apnea (which I refused to believe was a problem for macho me), I showed up at a VA clinic with a pulse of 40, blood oxygenation of 85 and atrial flutter. I was in the toilet.

With great medical care (including a heart ablation and a pacemaker (though not dependent thereupon), I have no flutter, have a normal pulse of 65, blood pressure of 125/77 or so, blood oxygenation of 99+ and can walk 3.5 m.p.h. for three hours and still shoot an elephant or three.

What I'm saying is that sleep apnea can kill you. It's that simple. Thank the good Lord that I finally did something about it, and in time.

Don't put yourself at the risk I did.

I use a BiPAP which has varied pressure instead of a constant flow. It uses a bit more power than a simple CPAP, btw. I've taken mine to Africa a dozen times and find absolutely no problems in the transport or usage there or en route. If you're VA eligable, ask the folks there. Mine cost a whopping $50 co-pay.

In most of the African countries in which I hunt, the reliability of the grid isn't great, so I send a few bucks to my P.H. before I go to make sure he has a high amp hour marine battery available for me. Every CPAP or BiPAP of which I'm aware has a cheap conversion adaptor from A/C to D/C and since most are 220 volts (just modified to U.S. grids), the conversion to African power is easy. In the bush, the support guys just trade the battery from the Cruiser (after putting around all day and charging) for the one in my tent or chalet.

As a back up and for the plane, I have a lithium battery (after market and about $300) that weighs only 3 lbs that I can slip right in the BiPAP case (which, as above stated by Mark) is "personal/medical" carry on and an accepted bag addition to the normal carry on). Lots of stuff (as Mark also said above) can get in that bag, too. It's almost as good as having two carry ons.

Not being in First/Business Class guy (I go twice a year and therefore can't afford the big bucks), on the plane, I sleep comfortably without A/C power available, using the battery (important for us peons in steerage instead of the posh "up front" with "plug-ins"... although some steerage seats have them!). Even with the 16 hour flight, it is no problem. My lithium battery lasts 20 hours at my settings of 12/7. I charge it again at Afton House (using A/C power with adaptor for the machine that night) and I'm ready to go/return... or I could just charge the lithium each day with the cigarette lighter in the Cruiser, but I usually the marine battery switch off from the vehicle which is more reasuring. Belt and suspenders, I guess.

If anyone is not going to Africa because they need sleep apnea devices they just haven't figured out the options. It just isn't a problem if you plan.

I use one on the plane, at camp, in Jo'burg... heck, here at home, I have a second machine in my truck just in case I don't get back to Casa JudgeG some evenings Big Grin... and the lithium battery works just great if I go on an weekend canoe trip! Actually, I've found that the lithium battery will work at my usage for 2.5 nights of 7-8 hour usage @ night. It also can be used as a back up for my laptop computer.

My sleep apnea machine has changed my life (and saved it). Some folks will reject usage because it is uncomfortable, but the disease will eat up your heart. Learn to use it. I find that I never snore anymore (which is a great boon to your love life another Big Grin), I am refreshed every morning when I awake and just a more pleasant person with the good night's sleep that it gives me.

Folks, if your wife and/or your girlfriend ( Big Grin the last happy face) complains about your snoring or you have sleep interuptions because of sleep apnea, get checked. It could save your life and certainly make it much more pleasant for those who sleep close to you.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG
Thanks for the excellent public service message.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
JudgeG.

A sleep test showed I awoke gasping for air 80 times per hour while asleep. After 20 minutes of instruction, I was sent home with a machine and a mask that covered my entire face.

I faithfully tried using that damned thing every night for two weeks before returning it to the provider. After just a few minutes of wearing the mask a feeling of panic would come over me and I would rip it off. I would be drenched with sweat and my pillow would be wet. I never once could relax enough to get to sleep with that thing on my face.

You are correct. Apnea is terrible. I have had the ablation and now wear a pacemaker. I'm also in constant atrial fibrillation, and have an oxygenation problem, and constant weight gain. I am constantly fatigued. I wish I could use a CPAP, but it is not mere discomfort that keeps me from doing so.

Unless you suffer from extreme claustrophobia as I do, you will never know how terrified that mask can make you feel.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Mark, Judge G, African Hunter, thanks for the advice on the CPAP Machines and batteries.

I also checked SeatGuru that will show you which seats aboard the plane have power

Seat Guru

Bill, I know a lot of people can't get use to the mask. I wish there was another solution.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I doubt I could use a full mask myself, however, there are "nose pillow" models that don't cover anything but the nostrils. I use one like this: "non-claustrophobic" mask?

Here is just a couple of the battery options:

CPAP/BiPAP Battery options

Other source for battery for cpap

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been on CPAP for 11 years, and have used all kinds of different masks. I'm not claustrophobic, though.

I picked up this unit about 3 months ago. It is, bar none, the lightest, most comfortable, easily adjusted, quietest, best sealing (hate those air leaks) and easiest to use mask I've ever had: http://www.cpap.com/productpag...p-mask-headgear.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen :

I also suffer from sleep apnea. I have taken a slightly different and far easier approach to dealing with thus condition. There are mouth pieces that are made to fit the individual and they accomplish the same thing. They weigh ounces and are smaller than an apple. It works for me.

Posts: 11975 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carried my CPAP maching to Afrca twice and because of good people over there had no problem. The battery I bought from Battery geek blew up the first night in Zim and they got three yes 3 12 volt batteries and hooked them up and they lasted the night. I now use PROVENT/SR which are s special nose plug not reusable. They are great and very compact. You need a prescription and the only place you can get them is thru Liberty medical. They really beat the Hell out of carrying the CPAP machine. I never used mine while in flight as I don't have a problem while sleeping sitting up.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
An ad for a dental device

Obstructive Sleep Apnea is a complex disease and not all folks can use dental devices (I, for one can not and most BiPAP users can't either), but if it works for you, simpler is better!

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
A sleep test showed I awoke gasping for air 80 times per hour while asleep

127 "episodes" for me.

This is a great thread, very informative

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I've used mine traveling to/from New Zealand.

In camp it's not a problem recharging the batteries as you can get a 12V car adapter if y'aint got a generator. Now out in a tent is a different story.

I bought a portable 12V solar panel, but it doesn't have the amps to go through the 12V adapter. I've been tempted to cut the adapter off and go straight through to the battery, just haven't had the balls to do so. I doubt it'd put up enough amperage to ruin the batteries, hell don't know if it'll even charge em.

http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machi...aign=CPAP%2BMachines

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Solar charger that (it is claimed) will charge a CPAP battery sufficently for 2 nights with 8 hours of sunlight)

Also, I discovered that you can rent CPAP batteries or the solar panel instead of buying it from Battery Geek.

As he related, Ed had a problem with a portable battery from Battery Geek. I suggest that you rent one (or a solar panel) before you buy a new one (and go to wherever) to make sure the same thing doesn't happen.

My trips have been seamless, but I did a bunch of research on what types of adapters for my machine were necessary, etc. (There is something about "sine" conversions.) To avoid any problem, I had to buy a $50 do-dad for mine to get an after market lithium battery to work and charge properly, but it was worth it, for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge - Thanks for bringing this very important subject to the forefront. I have been using my CPAP for just over a year now and it's truly been a sensational improvement for my quality of life to say the least.

I have not traveled out of Country with mine yet, but am just starting to look into various options for using it in these circumstances. Locally I can get by for a night or two without the machine, it seems, but don't want to extend past that point. I am going to check with my Doc and see what/who/where he suggests to get set up for this off the grid useage. All your tips and suggestions have been great as well and looking forward to hearing more about this from others here on AR about this problem/solution. Thanks again.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a ResMed S9, and found that there is a brand name, lightweight (2 lb.) battery pack available in the UK: http://www.resmed.com/uk/produ...n-ii.html?nc=dealers

but according to my supplier, this is not yet available in Canada or the US. Apparently needs to go through safety standards testing or some such...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would strongly suggest anyone going to the bush, try the PROVENT/SR. My doctor was concerned so I got a sample pack and used a home test to see if the product worked. I didn't have to go to the hospital for an overnight test as they had a good base line for me. I used the plugs and was attached to a finger clip for the night and then they read the results and he said OK. It may not work for everyone but a little packet of plugs is sure easier than packing the CPAP, batery etc to the bush. I even use them in the states when I travel, used them in Dallas in Jan. They are to sell for $150 for 30 day supply i e 30 packets, but the last time I talked with Liberty they were saying $50 for 30. When one considers all the costs of safari that is peanuts.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOJ - Thanks and I'll ask my doc about these and see what procedure is required for me to give them a test. Does sound a lot eaiser if it will work for me.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
I would strongly suggest anyone going to the bush, try the PROVENT/SR. My doctor was concerned so I got a sample pack and used a home test to see if the product worked. I didn't have to go to the hospital for an overnight test as they had a good base line for me. I used the plugs and was attached to a finger clip for the night and then they read the results and he said OK. It may not work for everyone but a little packet of plugs is sure easier than packing the CPAP, batery etc to the bush. I even use them in the states when I travel, used them in Dallas in Jan. They are to sell for $150 for 30 day supply i e 30 packets, but the last time I talked with Liberty they were saying $50 for 30. When one considers all the costs of safari that is peanuts.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
I am also a member of the CPAP club --- have been for almost a year -- full face mask (covers mouth and nose) for me as I have a tendency to breathe through my mouth -- tried the nose only rigs but could not seem to have a romance with them.
Down side of this is that I gave up on trying to sort out the battery issue and went without anything on a couple of trips -- not sure this was the best approach but still here and kicking. I like the Provent SR plug idea and will look into those as I usually wind up spending considerable time a long ways from any power sources during big game season.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on Provent. I'll try them. I've never traveled by air with my CPAP with the doctors okay, but I always sleep a million times better using it (and so does everyone else in camp)

What a great thread - I never knew there was so many of us

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
PROVENT/SR

Thanks Die Ou Jagter! Doc cleared me hot to use these Provent contraptions and I ordered a 30 day sample pack last night.

It'll be nice to not pull a deep cycle battery out of the boat for an inverter to attend a yearly camp/drunkfest that coincides with the eastern green drake hatch in eastern TN.

Posts: 72 | Location: Annapolis MD | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
boon, what was the charge? By the way big brother won't pony up for these, but then one must walk the walk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
boon, that is interesting as when I looked into this about a year ago the product was available by prescription only not over the counter.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Ed:

I think ezCPAP does require a prescription.

Hoping to get a sample of the nostril inserts, I went to the provided site and went through the order process.

One is directed through the whole sales routine with placing items in cart, supplying credit card info, etc., then, after confirming shipping info and charges, a note tells you they won't ship (or charge the card) if you need a 'script to buy and an 800 number was supplied for questions.

A telephone call to the merchant re: requirements confirmed that Provent can't be sold with OTC.

Drats!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG is correct. I faxed my presciption to them and USPS should deliver nlt early next week.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Looks promising for folks who can't wear a mask!

CPAP/BiPAP mask alternative.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

I bought that model and tried it. I found it to not be of any great advantage and the hose material got fatigued and leaked quite easily. I'm back to the nasal cannulas with the head harness.

I could not agree with you more that the CPAP is life changing. They were giving me meds for a couple of things when all I really needed was a good night's sleep.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com