Find
Notify
Tools

Transit through J'berg
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys,

What is required for SA if transiting through on the way to Windhoek without over nighting in j'berg?

Will be Qantas to J'berg and then SAA to Namibia.

Thanks all,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
You should only require crossed fingers...

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I flew to Windhoek via Johannesburg last, I just checked my rifles all the way through. In Jo'burg I did not see nor pick them up and take them through SA Customs. Lo and behold, in Windhoek the rifles showed up safe and sound.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
A boarding pass, tags on your bags directing them to your final destination, and a little luck.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

It is very tempting to check your guns all the way through when changing carriers and transiting JNB to Windhoek. The thing to consider is that if you receive your guns and luggage in JNB and check it on to the next flight you know where you stuff is and if it doesn't show up in Windhoek you'll know what flight it got fouled up on. This is somewhat of a hassle but it would be my recommendation.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12885 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
You can check your guns all the way through -- many do and most have no problem.

On the other hand, I always travel a day early with the plan to overnight in Jo'burg, which includes retrieving my guns and rechecking them to my final destination -- and the requirement to get the required firearms license for the overnight stay. I do it that way to ensure that I have my guns with me for the final leg -- if there's an issue, I would rather deal with it in Jo'burg than in any location I've ever hunted.

So far, the guns have always arrived without issue in Jo'burg and many would say that I'm going through a lot of wasted effort -- but it gives me peace of mind, so I'll just keep on doing it.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
When I flew to Windhoek via Johannesburg last, I just checked my rifles all the way through. In Jo'burg I did not see nor pick them up and take them through SA Customs. Lo and behold, in Windhoek the rifles showed up safe and sound.

- mike

mho,

Do you pass thru passport control when you do this or go another route I have heard called something like "In Transit"? Thanks in advance!

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think we had to pass through SA passport control.

Mind you, the Jo'burg airport does not register as as one of the most efficiently organized airports I have been through. They may have improved this, but I remember we had to stand in line forever and ever for a security check.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to do very little.

There is an international transfers desk. One doesn't have to go through passport control or customs (unless you only checked your bags to Jo'berg) to get to the IT desk. One goes to the IT desk, obtain your boarding pass for the next flight, go through security and you are done. You just have to find your gate. It is pretty simple.

Posts: 12000 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Thanks mho and Larry, this is what I will be doing.

Larry, where is that IT desk...is it adjacent to passport control or a little before it? Does it have its own separate walkway after deplaning? Thanks!

Benefactor Member NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Follow the signs, you can't miss it. It is easy. As I recall, all passengers went the same way for a short distance. At some point, the international transfer passengers were routed another way. Watch for the signs. The signs are not massive but not tiny. One does have to pay attention. They are yellow and black if I recall correctly. Also, if I recall correctly, one has to show their passport shortly before entering the IT area. I seem to recall there are 3 officers there checking passports.

If you get to passport control, you have gone the wrong way.

Each airline has their own desk in the IT area. The problems which you can encounter are as follows: (a) You may be asked for the credit card you purchased your ticket with. (b) If your airline doesn't have a flight for several hours, there may not be an agent there to give you the appropriate boarding pass. If that happens, one can go through security and get a day room in the hotel.

Posts: 12000 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
...(b) If your airline doesn't have a flight for several hours, there may not be an agent there to give you the appropriate boarding pass. If that happens, one can go through security and get a day room in the hotel.

...or you can continue onto the International Concourse and have a bite at one of the restaurants and then return to the airline IT desk area once an agent is there to assist you.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Thanks all so much! Terrifc info!!

Benefactor Member NRA