New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying Qatar with bows
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a trip to Namibia coming up and a friend’s travel agent is insisting that we need a form 4457 for our bows. I have flown with archery gear many times and have never been required to have this form.
Can anyone give me any information about flying with archery equipment on Qatar airlines, especially as regards to the form 4457?

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The purpose of the 4457 from the US standpoint has nothing to do with firearms or other weapons, but it has been repurposed because other countries don't understand that we don't need a "permit" to own a firearm. The real purpose of the form is to prove that you left the country with an item so you don't have to pay a duty upon your return.

I doubt any US Customs agent would suspect that you flew to Namibia to buy archery equipment.
I haven't taken archery gear to Africa since 2007 and I know I didn't have a 4457, but things change in Africa. Don't know about Qatar, never flown them. You might try a travel agent that specializes in traveling with weapons.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I’d err on the side of caution and get the 4457, bows and arrows are on their list of restricted items. If you transit thru Doha (and I suspect you will), the are very, very particular.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
No sense taking unnecessary chances. Just get the 4457.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there was some sort of change in So Africa about bows but do not remember what it was. contact Jennifer at Travel Express and she will give you the info and she is great to deal with for your travel arrangements

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote