New
Find
Notify
Tools

Courteneys in Jo-Berg...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So, whereabouts in Jo-Berg does one find Courteney boots? Any idea of price these days?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
When flying through JB in 2006 I contacted PowderKeg up front. I was in transit to Port Elisabeth and one of their employees showed up at the airport with several pairs in different sizes. I picked my pair and went PG hunting. Great service! Smiler
Can't remember the exact price.. Think it was around 1700-1800 Rand.

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have purchased all manner of things including Courtney's from PowderKeg. Even have them do my "tourist" itineraries when I'm just driving across country (wanting to stay in out-of-the way back-country inns). Have also had them book several hunts with local PHs.

Always excellent service.

One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
I've gotten 2 pair of boots and one pair of shoes from M. Gordon

M. Gordon Footwear
Shop 54,
Boulders Centre
Tel: (27-11) 315 2277,
Fax: (27-11) 805 2735
email: info@gordonfootwear.co.za

They have a good stockage and the up side is that they are in a nice shopping mall, so if your SO is traveling with you, there is something to distract her too.

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a pair of Selous by Courteney are going to run me close to $300 USD.
The price we have to pay to dress the part...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I/SS: Should have bought them while you were at SCI. They were down to $250 by Saturday.

114-R10David

Posts: 1751 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I think they are about $200 at Powder Keg- which is about an hour drive from the airport.

They usually have quite a selection, including some made from buff & ele, and a lower cut lace up for around camp.

They also have lots of clothing and other cool hunting related things, and usually 10 or 12 unusual rifles as well.

Spend some time there, they are very friendly, and chances are they will have about every kid of rifle imaginable in back and will pull it out for you.

Dr. Porteiger has some of his collection on the wall, and he is interesting to speak with. A good place to spend a few hours and a few dollars.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Looks like a pair of Selous by Courteney are going to run me close to $300 USD.
The price we have to pay to dress the part...

Rich

Where did yhou get the $300 quote? Always less expensive that Westly Richards, at least as of last year, and you get to try on all different sizes materials.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
their website in SA. Westley Richards US, in Bozeman, Montana, last showed nearly $400 US.

I want a pair made of Cape Buffalo hide and they consider that the same price as gold these days.

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of being Tarred and Feathered, I have found that Russells PH boots are way more comfortable than Courtneys....

Also I have found the Russells to be MUCH quieter thatn any other bood I have ever worn...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just checked. www.westleyrichards.com.

$385 plus shipping from Bozeman to the Boise area.

I bought a nice pair of Danners on sale for less than a hundred dollars. 8" high tops. I am breaking them in as I type.

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich
The Danner are hard to beat.

I wore Danners for work boots for over 20 years, And I use them for NA hunting boots in cold weather as well[ Ft Lewis or Canadiens ].

However the Russell PH's are much quieter.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Wow RIch i can't believe they are getting $385 for those. I really think they are around $200 in the shops in Africa, maybe less.

I do have a pair of buff skins, don't feel too bad, they are pretty stiff and end up hurting my upper ankles. The best I think are the impala (?) skinned ones, very soft.

I don't have any experience with Danners or the Russells unfortunately, so I can't offer my 2 cents re comparison..

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
At the risk of being Tarred and Feathered, I have found that Russells PH boots are way more comfortable than Courtneys....

Also I have found the Russells to be MUCH quieter thatn any other bood I have ever worn...

You would never be Tarred an Feathered for finding one boot fits better than the other brand.
Courteney's just don't suit everyone's foot shape.
And a word of warning, Courteney sizes DO vary from up to a hole size.
They may also not be made in Zim anymore??

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
And a word of warning, Courteney sizes DO vary from up to a hole size.
They may also not be made in Zim anymore??

I'll second that.. I ordered a pair in my regular size that didn't fit at all.. When trying them on in JB later a bought a pair that was just a tad bigger sizewise, but that's more than big enough. Important that you try them on.

Never tried the Russells, but I really like my Courtneys.. Silent stalkers, IMHO.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
404 - The last pair of Courteneys in elephant hide I saw were at an outdoor show in New Mexico in the US Fish and Wildlife booth shown as confiscated merchandise. Don't think it's legal to import ele boots now days?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by 404WJJeffery:
I think they are about $200 at Powder Keg- which is about an hour drive from the airport.

They usually have quite a selection, including some made from buff & ele, and a lower cut lace up for around camp.

They also have lots of clothing and other cool hunting related things, and usually 10 or 12 unusual rifles as well.

Spend some time there, they are very friendly, and chances are they will have about every kid of rifle imaginable in back and will pull it out for you.

Dr. Porteiger has some of his collection on the wall, and he is interesting to speak with. A good place to spend a few hours and a few dollars.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I didn't have time to go by the Powder keg on my trip, but I emailed them and was able to have KwikTan pick up a pair and include it in my trophy shipment. I think they were about $170 US (it was about 10 ZAR: $1 USD at the time). I wanted the Selous, but Powder keg said they were only special order. i wound up with the Safari model (I think). They were a little big, but a nice insole helped a ton...I love them...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
Contact Greg Steyn at M Gordon Footwear. They are the correct South African agents and he will take care of your needs!

info@gordonfootwear.co.za

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Russell PH for a couple years now and find them very comfortable. My feet never could get used to the Courtneys. I also have worn Danners at work for 25 years and find them hard to beat.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
I never understood the Courteney boot thing. Why pay the ridiculious prices when Danner is twice the boot at half the cost???????? To each his own, I guess.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
404 - The last pair of Courteneys in elephant hide I saw were at an outdoor show in New Mexico in the US Fish and Wildlife booth shown as confiscated merchandise. Don't think it's legal to import ele boots now days?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Yes, Larry, can't bring the ele boots here- I got the buff.....

Josie Wales 1866

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair at a booth at SCI one year and ended up giving them away because they hurt my feet so bad. Is there a specific model that can compete with russell's in the comfort dept?

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of Courney Safari boots a month back at M Gordon Footwear.

I was specifically looking for a "veld-schoen" type low boot for hunting WITHOUT socks. I have never hunted sockless but I am tired of the old grass-seed problems etc.

Greg advised this product and it has buffalo uppers, impala toungue and padding around the ankle, and giraffe inner sole.

The first few days certainly was a bit sore in places especially the top of my foot and the side of my ankles, but I very soon toughened up. They are now absolutely comfy for all day wear, every day!

I had to wear socks the other day and it was like punishment!
Also, there is no sweatines and my feet are far less tired at the end of a normal day than with the various Hi-tec, Caterpillar and general walking shoes I have used.

I think that often people go for the Selous because it is supposedly their "top-of-range" model, but it might not always really be the best choice for the purpose?

I am really looking forward to some hard Kalahari walk-n-stalk hunting this year.....

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be in New London this spring, does anyone know if they are possible to buy there?

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone correct me, I wear a 10 yr old pair of elephant Courtneys to Africa, hunt, return and the US customs confiscates them?????

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i have been doing exactly that for 9 years. bought a pair of elephant hide safari model in Vic Falls and wore them home. since then i have worn them back and forth to Africa 7 times with no problems. in fact when i came back last Sept. i was pulled out of line for secondary inspection and the customs guy made me take off my boots so he could scrub them down with a brush and disinfectant. he commented in what a beautiful grain the leather had!! i thanked him and went on through. i do know that in the Atlanta airport there are a number of display cases containing products confiscated by USFWS and 1 of the items is a pair of elephant Courtenay's exactly like mine!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13233 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Palos:
I bought a pair of Courney Safari boots a month back at M Gordon Footwear.

I was specifically looking for a "veld-schoen" type low boot for hunting WITHOUT socks. I have never hunted sockless but I am tired of the old grass-seed problems etc.

Greg advised this product and it has buffalo uppers, impala toungue and padding around the ankle, and giraffe inner sole.

The first few days certainly was a bit sore in places especially the top of my foot and the side of my ankles, but I very soon toughened up. They are now absolutely comfy for all day wear, every day!

I had to wear socks the other day and it was like punishment!
Also, there is no sweatines and my feet are far less tired at the end of a normal day than with the various Hi-tec, Caterpillar and general walking shoes I have used.

I think that often people go for the Selous because it is supposedly their "top-of-range" model, but it might not always really be the best choice for the purpose?

I am really looking forward to some hard Kalahari walk-n-stalk hunting this year.....

I believe congratulations are in order for new CHASA Vice-Chair. Well done. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote