Tools

Zambia-Visa fees slashed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Visa fees slashed
By KAPALA CHISUNKA

From The Zambia Daily Mail

GOVERNMENT has fulfilled President Banda’s election campaign promise of reducing visa fees, in some cases by as much as 70 per cent.

The revised fees are from US$150 single entry to US$50 while double or multiple entry fees will now cost US$80 from US$340.

The new visa fees will only be effective upon the signing of a statutory instrument by the Minister of Home Affairs.

Minister of Tourism, Environment and Natural Resources Michael Kaingu said the development, which was arrived at after a Cabinet meeting a few days ago, was aimed at attracting tourists.

“Government has decided to reduce the visa fees because we have realised that the price costs posed as a hindrance to the development of the tourism sector,†Mr Kaingu said.

He said although the earlier decision to hike the visa fees was made to benefit the country, Government had acknowledged that high fees affected the growth of the tourism industry.

Mr Kaingu said unlike other African countries in the region, Zambia was considered as one of the most expensive tourist destinations.

He said the reduction of visa fees would result in more tourists visiting Zambia and staying longer, therefore, earning the country foreign exchange.

“The cheaper the entry fees, the longer our tourists will stay in Zambia because the current statistics indicate that tourists stay in the country for not more than six days,†he said.

Mr Kaingu appealed to operators in the tourism industry to assist in marketing the country through their products.

He said it was vital for operators to reduce their packages in line with the reduction of the visa fees.

Earlier, Zambia Tourism (ZTB) board chairperson Errol Hickey said Zambia targets to have over one million tourists visiting the country by the year 2010.

Mr Hickey said current statistics indicate that over 800,000 tourists had visited Zambia this year.

He said Government and ZTB intended to ensure that Zambia was turned into a one-stop-shop in terms of tourism so as to attract and make investment easily come to the country.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9377 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
I had forgotten they were raised so high. In 2006 they were still $25 or $30.

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We paid $135 pp in September.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I paid $100US in August for a 3 year visa....I guess he liked me. Big Grin

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary ol pal, I told them I knew you and they let me in on yours so you only have 2 years left
Sorry, but thats friendship
Steve

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote