Tools

IS Emirates becoming BA?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted
https://www.flyertalk.com/arti...-special-at-all.html

Emirates’ “Business Special” Isn’t Special at All

Emirates has “unbundled” their business class product, offering a lower price for fewer amenities in the forward cabin. But will this result in easier access for flyers? Or is this a preview of problems to come for flyers in the future?

As airlines sought to maximize profits by unbundling airfares, one section remained sacred. On the other side of the thin curtain – or aircraft level, as it were with jumbo jets – the seats still reclined all the way down and wine flowed freely from never-ending bottles. Meals were still served with a smile (most of the time), and entertainment wasn’t restricted to a personal screen.

Such was the liberty of flying in business class. And in some parts of the world, this luxury also came with certain benefits. At Emirates, flyers could be driven to the airport by a chauffeur, before they are welcomed into a world-class lounge for relaxation prior to departure. When it was time to go, passengers would depart for the exact seat they selected when they booked the flight.

Unfortunately, the end is beginning for premium cabin flyers – and it comes from the least likely of places. FlyerTalkers found the new Emirates “H” fare, speculating at first it could be a new version of premium economy. However, it turns out that the new fare is every flyer’s nightmare: an unbundled business class.

In exchange for a lower price, business class flyers can give up the liberties that come with the seat. This includes not selecting a seat before check-in, not getting that chauffeur to the airport and getting locked out from the lounge before takeoff. If you are a member of Emirates Skywards program, you will only earn points as if you were in premium economy. But If you have Skywards Platinum status, you can still get a “Business Special” and visit the lounge.

Most importantly, on a business lounge fare, passengers are not allowed to upgrade their seat. Even if you have status or the miles to make it to First Class, there’s no moving up allowed.

Emirates warned this could be a reality for future flyers. In a 2016 interview with Skift, airline chief executive Tim Clark said: “Maybe, if you’ve got business class seats going begging, that’s the easy way to go, rather than create a completely new product, which is going to upend the distribution systems, upend service delivery and upend the logistical management on the operational side.”

The comment seemed flippant at first: why would a luxury carrier devalue their own product by offering a discount? It potentially made no sense, as people pay for the full experience. Giving only a portion was not how Emirates attracted luxury flyers to their aircraft.

Yet, the writing was on the wall, and nearly three years later Emirates quietly introduced the product into their lineup. Not even America’s carriers, notorious for cutting perks in the name of profitability, have broken up their premium offerings. Of course, no American carrier also offers nearly any of the benefits of the “Middle East Three,” so that statement could be akin to comparing apples to figs.

On the FlyerTalk Forums, flyers seem upset about the changes – as well they should be. FlyerTalker Gig103 writes: “No lounge access on a business class ticket is as chintzy as British Airways charging for seat-assignments in business class. To me, some things are just expected based on the majority of airline business class products.” FlyerTalker JXTC agrees: “Not giving EK lounge access does seem a bit stingy.”

FlyerTalker thijsseh adds to the frustration: “All we need now is ‘no access to the on board lounge’ (on the A380) or ‘middle seat only’ (on the 777) as well as ‘limited choice of meal options’ and we have eclipsed BA. Bah!”

FlyerTalkers – as well as anyone who plans on flying a premium cabin in the future – should be upset about the changes. In many situations, it only takes one airline to set in motion a constant move of devaluations and degraded services. Remember last summer, when American carriers increased the price of checked luggage one after another? By the end of September, all carriers moved their prices to match each other, costing flyers more and bringing in big profits for the airlines.

On the converse, the argument could be made that the new benefits open up business class for flyers who were unable to access the cabin before. Clark made his target audience clear in the now infamous Skift interview: “Baby boomers, the aging population of Europe. No mortgages, money in the bank, spending the inheritance of the children, that kind of thing. But they would prefer to have a bed.” And for them – and other FlyerTalkers – this kind of product could make sense, resulting in fuller aircraft for Emirates and more money for the airline.

Regardless of the arguments to be had, the truth remains that Emirates has now opened a figurative Pandora’s Box on the business class product. Now, we wait for the dominoes to continue falling until they end up on our shores. Only time will tell as to who will be the next airline to devalue and unbundle their business class, much to the detriment of the passenger.

Posts: 754 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sounds like some people want the benefits of First and Business Class without having to pay for them.

Pay the full Business Class fair and get all the benefits.

Better still, fly First Class!

That old saying still has its meaning.

You get what you pay for.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
We are flying Emirates to Zambia in about a week.

Emirates is sending an SUV to pick us up at our house, and will take us back home in an SUV when we return.

Emirates also offered us a hotel room in Dubai for our overnight stay on the way to Lusaka.

That is amazing service.

Last week, when we flew down to Florida to hunt hogs with Larry Shores, we booked first class on Delta. We were seated in economy. I told them that we had bought first class tickets and they apologized - said they had mistakenly given our tickets away! They gave us vouchers for $100 each toward future Delta ticket prices.

Then, we had barely been in the air for two hours, and they announced there was "weather" in Atlanta, and that the plane's weather radar was malfunctioning.

We were diverted to Dulles in DC. No way to make our connection in Atlanta for the follow on flight to Florida.

Then we were re-booked on an American flight to Florida via Charlotte. We ended up in Florida over 7 hours late.

From door to door, we could almost have flown to Jo-burg in the same time.

The return trip was scarcely better. Of all of our first class seats, my wife only got one of them, on the return leg from Atlanta. And that was after two hours of sleep in an Atlanta hotel because of yet another missed connection.

Never will we fly Delta again. We are truly looking forward to Emirates!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Sounds like some people want the benefits of First and Business Class without having to pay for them.

Having made over 200 trips to Europe, Africa, Asia and other unfortunately Russia - you usually get what you pay except on Lufthansa.

I avoid United/Lufthansa due to the hassle on seats and the quality of the service. I have not been on Delta in a long time, but they were average.

Emirates, Turkish, Ethiopian, sometimes British Air, Singapore and Air New Zealand are my favorites. Honestly Emirates and Ethiopian are my favorites and I fly them whenever possible.

I also quit flying coach. My wife and I go on less trips and fly first if available and business if not. The flights just beat me up too bad to enjoy if not in at least business.

Save aggravation, avoid Disney cruises, save your money and enjoy business class!!!!

Posts: 10161 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I always figure, the front end of the airplane goes into the ground first. Better chance of survival in the back Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote