New
Find
Notify
Tools

Packing ammunition
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A question for those of you whose understanding of English is better than mine.
Later this week we´ll be of to Namibia again for hunting. Last time we didn´t bring our own rifles but we will this time.
The home page of Air Namibia states:
• Firearms and/or ammunition will be accepted provided they are packed in an appropriate carriage case.
• Firearms and ammunition are not allowed in hold luggage with general personal possessions.
• All firearms have to be packed separately from the ammunition and must be in a locked firearms case.
• The ammunition must be separate and in its own locked bag/container of not more than 5 kg (10 lbs).

I´ll be bringing 40 cartridges with me. Does the above mean that I will have to have these cartridges packed separately i/e I can not keep them in a locked container within my suitcase ? Please help me out...

Posts: 51 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 25 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like you need a separate case for your ammunition. I have a small Pelican I use just for that. It will lock. I normally pack it in with my clothes, etc. in my checked duffel but I have seen many posters that have stated that sometimes some airlines make you ship it separately.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always put them in a separate locked container inside of my suitcase with zero problems.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
I have always put them in a separate locked container inside of my suitcase with zero problems.

I normally do this also but on the way back from South Africa in 2013, SA made me take it out and check it separately.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:

I normally do this also but on the way back from South Africa in 2013, SA made me take it out and check it separately.

Each of the four times that I have traveled through Johanesburg (which I assume you will when connecting to Namibia), the SAP and airline have required the locked ammunition box to be removed from the suitcase and checked separately with its own tracking label.

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adventura,

Hunted Namibia in 2013. We took SAA to and from Windhoek with no problem's.
I think Namibia Air and SAA have the same rules.
Knowing this ahead of time, I purchased a Pelican 1200 case, which you can check separately. Very strong and sturdy case.
I packed this case inside my checked bag and had no issues with Delta on my way over or back
When we were checking in at Johannesburg SAA counter, I declared my ammo and started to get out my 1200 case to check separately. The driver, who took us to the airport, said they may not tell you to take it out and check it. He was right, it remained in my checked luggage. The same thing coming back from Windhoek.
What I'm saying is, be prepared to check your ammo separately but you may not have to.

Good hunting

Mauser K98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's good advice. Always be prepared to check it separately when dealing with SAA. In 13 Safaris, I've only had to check it separately with SAA one time. That was this year. I was prepared to do so with a separate Pelican case. tu2 I was required to do it at Joburg going to Windhoek on SAA (only going, not coming back as I was checked all the way back to Atlanta from Windhoek and was in transit in Joburg).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming you are flying through Frankfurt, Air Namibia goes direct to Windhoek - no stop in J'burg.

I have flown both ways and this is definitely easier than through J'burg. AN was good for me but I have heard tales of the plane simply not showing up.

There will be no issue in packing the ammo in your luggage in a separate locked case inside (cash box). Its less likely to go astray this way.

Do bear in mind that if you are flying through Frankfurt you will need to offload the guns and check back in again (no matter what your airline is telling you) - at a cost of €80 per weapon. MAke sure you leave enough time for this - 2 hours at the very minimum, 3 is better. This only on the way there - on the way back they will simply route it straight through.

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
On our two trips to Namibia we simply locked our ammo, in original packaging, inside pistol cases and placed those cases in our luggage. We've had no issues but if we did, it was a simple matter to pull it out and check it separately. Try keeping it inside your luggage first.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fly from Grande Prairie Alberta to Windhoek via Star Alliance. Drop my bags off in GP and pick them up in Windhoek, my ammo is in my checked luggage in a Pelican case. So for no problem. Flying within RSA I've had to take my ammo out of my checked luggage.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
What route do you take Spooksar? We did that on our first trip through Frankfurt when Air Namibia had a baggage agreement with Lufthansa but that has ended. On our last trip we went through Joberg but had to clear our guns/bags there before putting them back on SA to Windhoek. They were fine with ammo in luggage though.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote