THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Gun cases for domestic travel / Gun boots

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun cases for domestic travel / Gun boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have any of you tried using a ATV type gun boot for domestic air travel (USA)? They are lockable! Any issues with the TSA?
Thought about using one on a upcoming hunt.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eezridr - I haven't tried one but would also be hesitant to do so. The ones I have seen are OK for there intended purpose on a ATV, but don't think they provided enough protection for airline travel. The baggage handlers would have a field day in my estimation. As far as if TSA would let them go, don't know, most likely depends on the mood of the person that day. I use a Tuff Pak for all flights when firearms are involved, period.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EZ,

I think considering that these cases come apart in the middle and that is the weak point I think your ifle could be seriously damaged.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Not a good idea on so many levels.

TuffPak tu2

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several of those Gun Boots.

I like them for car travel as they take up a lot less space than other hardcases. They can be locked with a big pad lock and also with a chain or a cable locked to the inside of your vehicle, for a little enhanced security.

But...
I would not fly with one as they scream GUN.

So I would think they would be more apt to be stolen or mishandled.

When I fly I use the Tuff Pak.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use one, I've seen at two different airport baggage claim areas the remains of these ATV type cases swathed in packing and duct tape after being "handled with care" by baggage handlers.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2765 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always feel the best case is a shotgun take-down case. You can get very sturdy ones and they lock properly. Declare it in the USA and then place (hide) it in a duffel or rolling bag. The baggage handlers see nothing indicating a gun, so do not have the chance to "lose" it as often. I get my guns 50% more of the time this way, especially through Europe. A 34" case will fit most guns when they are dismantled.
camshaft

Posts: 345 | Location: Cameroun, South Africa | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote