Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping ammo to Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can it be done?

I am contemplating a hunt where 11 pounds of ammo probably won't do it. I would like to ship some over.

Posts: 11964 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Larry:
Possible, yes.
Practical no. The export and import paperwork would be a nightmare. I've tried to get ammo to Australia and it was not worth the effort.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Can it be done?

I am contemplating a hunt where 11 pounds of ammo probably won't do it. I would like to ship some over.

Bring a wife, a girlfriend or both. Wink Use their 11 lbs allowance as well.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bring a standard caliber rifle and have your PH get it for you

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A shame really, as it makes travelling so much easier.

Years ago I used to ship both my rifles and ammo ahead to Zimbabwe.

Everything worked just fine, until South Africa started requiring a sort of import/export permit too!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66957 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

It's frightfully expensive but as Shotgun suggested I think your PH with enough lead time can arrange what you need.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Can it be done?

Hi Larry

I am not sure where you are traveling, however in checking with a few gun/sporting shops earlier this year, they carried some good selections of ammo. especially for most large rifles. They had Remington, Federal, Winchester, Barnes and some Nosler in stock. I was just looking to see what they had, this is what i saw 375 H&H and up to 500 NE. They had upwards of up to of 1 to 6 boxes.

Have you chatted with your PH to see if a store could order you in what you are specifically are looking for?

I would suggest that you then take the 11 pounds of ammo for your rifles that you would be having difficulty in finding and stop and pick up the ammo they have on hand for you.

By the way this is cheaper than taking a girlfriend along on the trip...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on where you are going, Larry. Southern Africa is not a huge problem just order up some ammo at a gunshop close to where you are going (google and call them) and then use your Temporary Import Permit when you pick it up. Or, as suggested, have the PH buy for you if he has the same caliber on license.

Shotgun ammo is too heavy to take much of, but I always bird hunt in Namibia. Unfortunately my outfitter uses #6 and 34 gram (about 1-/4 oz) loads that are really too heavy for my sxs double. So Rosenthals in Windhoek will order up some #7 in Eley 1-1/16th oz. loads (ca. 30 gram) from South Africa. Much friendlier to shoot and the dove/sandgrouse do not mind.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, judging from your DVDs, I would imagine you exhaust 11 lbs of ammo by day 3? :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You see Biebs - some else who believes in using ammo instead of preserving it.

I need 11 pounds just to back you up on a single moose.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, your new Alaskan Carbine is in :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

jumping

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Biebs

You know it is a Ma Duce 50 cal - why do you mock me with this light weight wannabe.

Last time I checked I closed the deal on your moose at 570 yards off hand.

At least give me a carbine in the large calibre thread not medium calibre.

If we go to Australia on a cull buff hunt I am going to have to ship ammo by the palate or more likely small 20 ft container to back you up :-)

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last time I checked I closed the deal on your moose at 570 yards off hand.

Must have been that Spruce tree you hit that fell over and killed him :-)