THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Renting Cell phone for use in South Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Renting Cell phone for use in South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted
Hi Folks,

Need some help -- work is requiring me to rent a phone for my upcoming trip to South Africa and provide the number far in advance of departure -- cannot use Skype or other web-based comms, or my own phone.

Has anyone done this? Any good companies / packages to work with? Any chance to get the phone prior to travel?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The best way is to ask your PH to get one for you and give you the number before you leave home.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67611 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Verison sent me a cell phone to use in Africa. The phone I had at the time was not usable out of the US. The only charge was the minutes I used and postage to send it back when I returned. I do not recall what the rate for minutes was, but it was not out of line. It worked in South Africa and Zambia, except when way out in the bush.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Hi Arrow

I have used my Verizon phone in South Africa and Tanzania, my sister has uses her AT&T phone in South Africa. In the bush in Tanzania it was spotty and it did not have coverage. Both our phones did not work in Zimbabwe. Heck it did not work last year in Scotland after i was told i would have coverage, i did not obtain a international number to report issues on that trip. I was assured i was covered.

There is usually a up charge for the days you activate your international call coverage. A few dollars a day, however if you make any calls, the reduced minute rate covers this.

If all else fails obtain a satellite phone, they work great. (some are better than others)

What i have done is contact my carrier and ask about a plan to cover me while i am over seas and the countries i will be in and that the plan is workable. My cell phone is an international model and it has worked for me in many country's. Make sure you have them e mail you calling plan information and a international contact number if you experience difficulties.

quote:
Originally posted by Arrow Slinger:
Hi Folks,

Need some help -- work is requiring me to rent a phone for my upcoming trip to South Africa and provide the number far in advance of departure -- cannot use Skype or other web-based comms, or my own phone.

Has anyone done this? Any good companies / packages to work with? Any chance to get the phone prior to travel?

Thanks in advance

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1602 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote