Find
Notify
Tools

Certified copy of Passport
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted
Acording the the rules on the SAPS520 form, I need a certified copy of my passport and 4457 form. Has anyone actually got these, if so how did you go about getting them?

I assume I'll have to get the PP copy from the State Department, but what about the 4457 form?

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had any certified copies in my three times going thru SAPS.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take it to your local bank. They'll handle it for you in just a couple of minutes.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
My understanding is a bank could only certify it for US and Canadian applications.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hire one of the companies to do it for you, they have very easy instructions. You just send notorized copies of passport, letter from outfitter, 4457, etc. to get the gun permit in advance.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. The first two times I experienced the SA Police at the Johannesburg airport was by presenting the form SAPS 520 and the customs form 4457 upon arrival. Both times were lengthy drawn out affairs. The first time an officer asked for money, coffee, etc. to grease the process.

The third time I hired a company to take care of the rifle permits - http://www.aftonguesthouse.com/meet%20and%20assist.htm . We always stay with Louis and Annelise of The Afton House and they offer this service. I got a bank to notarize a color photocopy of my husband's passport and a copy of his customs form 4457 proving he owned the rifles. Then I sent these along with the SAPS 520, copy of the letter of invitation to hunt, and a copy of our itinerary which provided dates of country entry and exit and I sent it all to Louis many weeks in advance. When we arrived in Jo'burg, Louis had us out of there in record time.

There are several services. I've heard people say they http://www.riflepermits.com/ is a good service but I have no personal experience with them.

quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:
Hire one of the companies to do it for you, they have very easy instructions. You just send notorized copies of passport, letter from outfitter, 4457, etc. to get the gun permit in advance.

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to give someone $100+ to do something I can do myself. The onlything they'll do for me is give the info to the police, I still have to gather all the information, plus have to send it to them. Seems like about the same amount of time I'll be out.

If all they need is a notorized copy I can get the gal that sits next to me to do it.

The last time I went I didn't have a certified copy of anything, just a plain ol photo copy, wasn't an issue.

I was only imposed upon for a bribe/handout when I checked my rifles in last time.

One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
It's certainly a personal choice. My choice is to pay a hundred dollars to guarantee a smooth transition out of the airport, rather than to save the money and wonder what yaa-hoo will be in charge of the police office when we land.

If we are going to spend a crap-load of hard earned money on a hunting trip to Africa, I vote for a adding a little more to the pile to ensure the trip is not marred with hassles.

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
I'm not going to give someone $100+ to do something I can do myself. The onlything they'll do for me is give the info to the police, I still have to gather all the information, plus have to send it to them. Seems like about the same amount of time I'll be out.

If all they need is a notorized copy I can get the gal that sits next to me to do it.

The last time I went I didn't have a certified copy of anything, just a plain ol photo copy, wasn't an issue.

I was only imposed upon for a bribe/handout when I checked my rifles in last time.

I agree with you, I have all ways done it myself and the longest it took was about 30 minutes.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
quote:

I agree with you, I have all ways done it myself and the longest it took was about 30 minutes.

I am spending 20-30k this year in Africa shooting animals. $100 does not sound like too much to have a pre issued permit, someone walk you through customs and then take me for my overnight stay.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
quote:

I am spending 20-30k this year in Africa shooting animals. $100 does not sound like too much to have a pre issued permit, someone walk you through customs and then take me for my overnight stay.

No offense meant, its just that I have been thru it three times and it is no big deal just gov't red tape. Its actually very easy to do it all yourself and I have enough people in the world with thier hand out wanting my money no need to add to it.

Last year a person on the same plane as I was on had hired a service, do not know which one, and I made thru the SAPS office and he was still waiting. I do not know if there were any specific problems but it just makes me think hiring a service does not give you any preference over anyone else.

Also, I spend the same kind of money you spend when I goto Africa. I would spend more but I just can't seem to win the lottery.

Good Hunting,