New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heart attack and travel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some of you may have read elsewhere or have already heard. Monday morning while working out at the gym i had a heart attack. Fortunately the gym is on the same campus as hospital. Which is good, by the time i drove two parking lots over i was in serious pain. Turned out to be 100% occlusion of the LAD widow maker one. For a stent in quickly and appears to be no permanent damage down stream. Dr said a small section of back wall is not moving as vigorously as muscle around it, but that muscle is likely stunned as it is not showing dead muscle. I am 56 in good shape eat well and don’t smoke and drink lightly. I workout several days a week, in fact have been training hard for 3 months for the “Murph challenge”. You just never know.
I leave in 9 weeks for a month in Zambia. Any advice from those who have been down this road?

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:
Some of you may have read elsewhere or have already heard. Monday morning while working out at the gym i had a heart attack. Fortunately the gym is on the same campus as hospital. Which is good, by the time i drove two parking lots over i was in serious pain. Turned out to be 100% occlusion of the LAD widow maker one. For a stent in quickly and appears to be no permanent damage down stream. Dr said a small section of back wall is not moving as vigorously as muscle around it, but that muscle is likely stunned as it is not showing dead muscle. I am 56 in good shape eat well and don’t smoke and drink lightly. I workout several days a week, in fact have been training hard for 3 months for the “Murph challenge”. You just never know.
I leave in 9 weeks for a month in Zambia. Any advice from those who have been down this road?

Make sure your doctors approve the trip.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just remember how precious life can be and go enjoy -worry isn't going to do anything good

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I would consult your doctor. Any advise the forum give you is guessing, your Dr. knows your condition.

My Dr. let me keep my drivers license (some are not so lucky) i could not drive for two weeks, however, no air travel. Many in the cardio rehab gym were in the same boat. After 8 months i was cleared for air travel and last years South African African hunt was out as i could not make it (heck i was lucky to walk out of the hospital). So in January, I was able to book flights at the DSC convention. Last years trip Changed so I am going to Namibia this year.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1578 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Although I made it to RSA post-heart surgery (double bypass), the meds kept it from being a pure success for me. Pamela, on the other hand, had a ball shooting five animals! That widowmaker was 30% blocked and the other two 100% blocked. Traveling was very hard, again the remaining meds. On the returning leg to refuel in Dakar, for six hours I know I didn't sit still, trying to get comfortable. Can you do business class? Cannot face thinking about the plane flight again, though an upcoming trip to England may change my mind..

Two weeks after returning, I finished with beta-blocker weaning and time sped back up. (There's more here.)

No heart attack because it was caught at nuclear stress test --> heart cath attempt.

Posts: 4859 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brent
The heart attack should have told you that life is too short and precious to waste. Whether you have another here or on a hunt makes no difference so go and have a great hunt. Or you can just let me go in your stead............. Big Grin

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys. The dr has cleared me to travel and shoot big guns. I only received one stint, no open heart, which would be a ga,e changer for sure
I am on crestor, lopressor and plavix. So far so good. I will begin cardiac rehab next week. At this point I am taking it easy and moving slow.
And yes life is short, so for me it is always cowboy up and eyes forward. I refuse to live in fear and feel fragile. moderation and paying attention.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you'll still want to be wary of flying long distances.
it stresses your heart if you can't get up and move or stretch out.
being stuck in a seat for a few hours in a pressurized cabin can cause issues.

Posts: 4982 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
just remember how precious life can be and go enjoy -worry isn't going to do anything good

Exactly!

My friend Walter has had multiple heart attacks, had quadruple by pass operation, and God only knows how many other bits and pieces done to his heart.

He travel regularly to South America on long flights, and has been going on safari with is for so many years.

He is still going strong, and getting ready for yet another hunt later this year.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67036 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago one of my long time
friends. A city cop, ran three miles
everyday. and gym 5 days a week.

Out for his run one morning. Someone
driving by saw him laying in the road
DEAD of a H/A!!

Healthier than most horses.
Re: Eddie Rhodes/Pueblo Police officer.

Live it up while your here. Best wishes
and good luck on your hunt too.

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5947 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
As you say, you eat and drink sensibly, don't smoke and are fit but your heart still gave out. I certainly wouldn't be risking a flight and safari at this early stage no matter how 'well' you may feel. Medical insurance would not likely cover you and what sort of medical care could you expect in Zambia if it all turns to custard.

You can go and be damned, I would sooner stay alive and be damned until some more water has gone under the bridge before venturing off for a month in Africa.

"Dr said a small section of back wall is not moving as vigorously as muscle around it, but that muscle is likely stunned as it is not showing dead muscle".

Isn't this just a hint not all is well just yet?

I do wish you a full recovery and if you choose to go to Zambia, I hope all does go well.

Posts: 3861 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Lopressor (metaprolol) makes your eyes do this.

Usually my eyes look like this (after beta-blocker gone.)

]

Posts: 4859 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
You might ask your doctor if it would be a good idea to take along some nitro pills. My first safari, My DR. thought that with my family history of heart disease that it would be cheap insurance, luckily never needed it.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote