THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Travel with Guns.......Thumbs Down!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel with Guns.......Thumbs Down!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I use Steve for all travel--both international and domestic. Wouldn't use anyone else. Was with Gracy and departed due to poor service. Sorry the initial poster here had a bad experience. We've all had them but I give a few chances before I move on. I take several flights per year out of AK and if all is added up, Gracy missed lots of my business but also those I referred elsewhere.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
We had a group of ten going to Victoria Falls last June. They were originating from several locations around the United States. One of the couples missed their connecting flight to New York. Steve was on the phone immediately with myself as well as the parties who missed the flight and sorted out alternative flights that got them to New York on time. He also called the rest of the party in order to let them know what was happening and that it had been taken care of. Can't ask for much more than that.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my latest airline booking I contacted thru email Steve, travel with Guns, Doug at Gracy (who I have always used before) and Kathi at Wild
Doug got back to me immediately
My PH had to send Steve an email to contact me after I bitched to him that his favorite travel agency had not gotten back to me and Kathi/Wild never returned my email or bothered to call

I ended up going with Travel with Guns as somehow they were about 3 hundred less and Pette wanted me to use them. However, customer service I have experienced with Gracy is far better than I have experienced with Travel With Guns. In the future I will continue to use Gracy and to hell with the couple hundred in savings. YMMV, just sayin'

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve's always done great by me. Above and beyond.

Posts: 10010 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunting the Box H:
quote:
Because I don't think I should have to chase down someone in a service industry to take my money.

Did you ever stop to think it may just have been a communication problem.

It does not matter, he is the customer. It is his money, if the company wants it, they need to perform to his expectations no matter if it is a communication problem or if there is not enough staff to do the job. My guess is that if 1 person taking off for a family emergency screws up the work flow for a couple weeks, it is probably not someone I want to trust with my vacation. The money is the easy part.... its the time off that you can not replace.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think you judge someone by the body of their work not an isolated incident or two. Steve offered an explanation and an apology. That is enough for me judged against a history of solid performance.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One could not ask for ,or receive better service than I have had from Steve Turner. If the "complainers" are so hard- ass that they cannot accept or understand the anomaly of a RARE glitch in service,then I would hate to be associated with them in ANY context ! These individuals are simply too demanding. I suppose that they never had a communication problem in their own lives and must therefor be holy enough to walk on water ! Better for TWG that they have chosen to "vote with their feet" and take their business elsewhere.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Consistent good service is hard to find, but in a good company is always the goal.

Part of the problem is training and policing by the founder or management in general of the work of new personnel.

The principal or manager of the company cannot do everything, cannot be on every call and follow through on every commitment personally.

That is why, when bad service is encountered, it is always a good idea to call the boss, and make a report of what happened. If the company is truly a good one, such a call will be repaid with good service.

Of course, if the bad service experience is repeated, then it's time to re-assess whether it may be time to change companies.

I have had excellent service from Steve Turner at TWG, and would certainly be inclined to give him at least a second chance in a case like this one.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Steve twice - once for South Africa (Cape tour and shark diving)/Botswana and once for Burkina Faso.

Had great service and would use him again. I am sorry that he had some issues but he came and explained it well in my opinion on this thread. I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

I have travelled a fair bit internationally and I self booked my first two trips to Zim. In my view the service charge for using TWG or another specialized hunting travel agency is well justified.

Traveling with guns is complicated and professional travel help is well worth it.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Used TWG once and was pleased.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been very pleased with the service I got from TWG .

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Steve has always done alright by me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually do Africa twice a year, and always use Steve, as well as do the folks who are traveling with me or meeting up with me in Jo'berg.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used all of the above and Steve is the best of the lot! Some people wouldn't be happy if you hung them with a brand new rope.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used TRG for the first time this trip to Namibia (May 17-June 7. I have made 7 such trips now, one via Joberg and five more via Atl to Frk with Delta and onward to Whk on Air Namibia. The first 6 trips were essentially trouble free, despite others reporting problems with AN. This last trip was far and away the worst travel experience that I have ever experienced, truly the "trip from hell"!! most of the problems with Airlines (US Airlines,and SAA ) were due to bad advice from TRG staff and failure to keep up with changes/updates that we SHOULD have been advised of in advance...Baggage transfers were a disaster !! I will report in full on a new post in a day or two.Suffice it to say that I am thoroughly disenchanted with TRG,despite their reputation!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stopckmaker:
I used TRG for the first time this trip to Namibia (May 17-June 7. I have made 7 such trips now, one via Joberg and five more via Atl to Frk with Delta and onward to Whk on Air Namibia. The first 6 trips were essentially trouble free, despite others reporting problems with AN. This last trip was far and away the worst travel experience that I have ever experienced, truly the "trip from hell"!! most of the problems with Airlines (US Airlines,and SAA ) were due to bad advice from TRG staff and failure to keep up with changes/updates that we SHOULD have been advised of in advance...Baggage transfers were a disaster !! I will report in full on a new post in a day or two.Suffice it to say that I am thoroughly disenchanted with TRG,despite their reputation!

BY "TRG", do you mean TWG, "Travel with Guns"?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I have used Steve a few times.
He has always done what he said and responded to my needs.
Could not ask for better service. Usually one email or phone call is all it takes.

I also have used other agents that some on AR think are the best. I did not have good service at all. Actually cost me a day of hunting and several hundreds of dollars.

For now i will stick with TWG.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve took great care of me in 2012 and 2013. I'm taking a year off in 2014, but he'll be my first call for travel arrangements in 2015 (booked).

Posts: 10010 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I made my last post (s)I was still seething about travel problems;some of which I laid on TWG. Act in haste and repent at leisure...
After a long talk with Steve Turner Monday AM is it now clear that the culprit is US Airlines :
> 30 minutes to FINALLY figure out how to check bags through to Windhoek,
>Arbitrary seat assignments on SSA contrary to seats reserved,paid for and confirmed last Sept !
SAA had no record in computer of return flights onward from JFK, so no way to check bags to final destination (Albuq.)
>Forced to claim bags/guns in NY. Only after trying 3 times to convince SAA of reservations with US Air was SAA FINALLY able to pull up record of remaining flights (this despite showing E ticket to baggage recheck people),
> SAA entered wrong flight # from e-ticket on claim tags so 2 duffels went astray,(Flight 3 had changed but unknown to us ),
>FINALLY ,after schlepping guncase to Terminal 8 got guns cleared and rechecked.
>US Air allowed excess cabin/carry-on bags aboard 2-3 per passenger AND oversize. We were then forced to check our unlocked carry-ons with cameras and binoculars-about $4000 worth-
for transport in the hold !
>In Phx. therewas about a MILE walk between arrival and departure gates,which was a long hike after being up , and either flying or going through security checks and long concourses for 36 hours !
>The 4-hour flight to Phx.spanned the noon hour but but cheap-ass US AIR provided no lunch or even complimentary snack on the long flight !
> Bottom line: Though this was the trip from hell,TWG actually did pretty well,but advised US Air (3 transfers,4 hops)which was a problem
with baggage . Often airlines will not check bags through if more than two transfers. If I ever fly through NY/JFK again it will be with Jet Blue NOT US Air.
ADVISE STAYING AWAY FROM US AIR/ AMERICAN AL.
They are a bad partner,a code sharing arrangement not withstanding.
They are incompetent,inconsiderate, and indifferent to the ease of travel and comfort of their passengers.In addition AAL will not carry guns and when the merger is complete that will likely apply to US Air as well...
I will remain a client of TWG. MY earlier complaint was unwarranted...I apologize !

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
My party just had a minor snafu with an upcoming trip. A few emails to Steve and a couple phone calls on his end and things were all cleared up.

In the end, came out smelling like a rose due to Steve's help!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve's always done great by me. The airlines, not so much

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Im 10k away and my return flight for Tuesday is a mess......thanks Fred

I emailed Steve to fix the mess.

I will keep all here informed on the outcome. Crossed fingers and prayers.

Ted

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Im 10k away and my return flight for Tuesday is a mess......thanks Fred

I emailed Steve to fix the mess.

I will keep all here informed on the outcome. Crossed fingers and prayers.

Ted

quote:
The world is full of demanding people.

Like I stated above......no complaints here

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Gato.....I'm not a demanding person in the slightest

I have NO cell service in RSA so Steve is helping me.

But thanks anyway

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gato.....I'm not a demanding person in the slightest

I have NO cell service in RSA so Steve is helping me.

But thanks anyway

Ted,

I hope everything works out for you without too much hassle.

May I ask that you post all the details of the problems you have encountered, so other might be able to avoid them in the future?

Thank you very much.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66943 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It was not TWG's fault

I was using them for help as I was in an area my phone was usless and as we hit East London Airport and was able to use wifi I called TWG's for help

My wife and I had Coach Comfort bulkhead isle 29G 29 H just behind buisness class and Delta moved me back one row and then moved my wife yet another row farther away and 3 seats over.....we couldn't see or talk to each other.

Delta told me "sorry" or basically your SOL

What next?

We made it back safe and sound and had an awesome time and will definitely be back....piss!!!! was it ever fantastic!!!!!!

A note...... I was rewarded by getting to sit next to a guy from Atlanta "Steven Strassberg" he is strongly anti hunting and a big time leftist....nice 16 hours hmmmm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted,

Sorry for your troubles. It is refreshing to hear that you don't think being seated away from your wife is a good thing!.

As for the greenie, I'd show him a lot of pictures on my tablet of dead animals until he no longer wanted to engage me in converstion.

Frankly, that probably wouldn't be necessary. No one ever engages me in conversation on planes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good enough experience with TWG to use again. I had experienced some rudeness at Gracey so move on to TWG and an agency in Phoenix which I am not sure is still in business. Interesting experiences with service industries. I simply stick with the one that ha worked for me.

Posts: 71 | Location: southwest | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used Travel With Guns for our trip to Zim. It was the first time we had used their service. I was very impressed with their organization and service. They will certainly have our business in the future.

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote