THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Courtney's in JNB or Windhoek

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Courtney's in JNB or Windhoek
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all, depart tomorrow for Namibia via JNB. Just overnighting at City Lodge. I would like to pick up a pair of Courtney's. Did a search and found no store at the airport, and Holtz seems about the same cost as here in the states.
Any suggestions for a location to purchase a pair?
Thanks!
Larry

Posts: 375 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you buy them in Zim, at or close to the factory, doubt you will find a deal anywhere else. Airports and retail stores outside of Zim will most likely be higher or equal to what you would pay right here in the States.

Westly Richards sells them here and also at SCI and DSC I believe Good luck on your Nib hunt.

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I bought my first pair of Selous from Westley Richards here in the States in 2005 and the rest of my pairs of Selous in Zimbabwe at Fazak's in Bulawayo. Big Grin I am still wearing the originals and have done so for the last 10 African Safaris, as well as having worn them hunting here at home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I was hoping to buy them on the way in to wear during the hunt. Maybe I can get them at Holtz in Swakopmund or Windhoek. I guess if they last 10 or 20 years I don't need to save a buck or two, especially considering cost of a hunt.
Thanks for the good wishes
Larry

Posts: 375 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy boots on the way to a hunt. You might want to consider walking a few (lot) of miles in them first.

Also, watch the sizes. My limited experience is tha they are approximate. So I wouldn't consider mailorder with Courtneys. Mine that fit are much bigger than expected per their sizes.

Posts: 10142 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks lavaka, you are right and I DO know better about breaking in boots. I am just so eager to begin the hunt, and I think they will be a nice souvenir .

I have heard you must try Courtney's as the size may vary from norm. I have very wide feet and I hear they run wide ,so am hoping for a good fit.

Thanks for the replies
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a couple of hours to spare at the airport so i caught the Gautrain to Midrand to M Gordon Footwear. They had a great range of Courtney's and I bought mine.

I walked from the train station. I think airport return was about two and a half hours. I stayed at City Lodge at the airport also.

They were lots cheaper than elsewhere OS. At the time (this time last year) the only place i could get them in Tanz was at Arusha, not sure of the range there.

Best wishes, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1940 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,Chris. Appreciate your suggestion. Rookie here, only one previous safari. May not be up for a Joburg walkabout Smiler
Thanks
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pulled a listing for Harare this past May of all the shops there that sell Courtneys, and it was a long list. I ran out of time, but will be back in June of 2014. I'll have to "make a plan", as they say.

Posts: 20146 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Powder Keg in J'burg did have a good selection of Courtneys. Nice folks too!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
What is so special about Courtneys?
Never heard of them.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boar, they're an African-made safari shoe or boot that had become something of a status symbol for many hunters. They have a unique style, but whether they're worth 2-3 times the price of another boot is up to the buyer to decide. But if you want to at least look the part in safari camp, then Courtneys it is :-)

Posts: 20146 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
boarkiller: Here you go. Here's a Courtney Selous:

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Looks impressive
Will check them out
Thank you gents

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
boarkiller
I've got my Courtney Selous on & wear them daily, unless I'm wearing cowboy boots.
I have tendonitis in my left foot that gave me fits until I bought my Selous over a year & a half ago. Now, most days I don't even think about it.
Can get them through African Sporting Creations.
Well worth the money.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChiefR53:
Thanks,Chris. Appreciate your suggestion. Rookie here, only one previous safari. May not be up for a Joburg walkabout Smiler
Thanks
Larry

It is no walkabout. Shops near the Gautrain station. I am a rookie there myself, was only passing through JNB on my way back from Tete.

Cheers and good hunting, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1940 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
What is so special about Courtneys?
Never heard of them.

i bought a pair of elephant hide Courtneys 9 years ago in Vic Falls. wore them home and have worn them at least 3-4 months A YEAR ( and 7 more safaris) since. they will soon need a resole but from day one- THEY FIT WITH NO PRESSURE POINTS/BLISTERS.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13268 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Mine are five or six years old at least.

They have made three trips to Africa with me. Once to Zim, and two to RSA.

They are simply made to a quality and durability standard rarely found these days. I've logged about ten thousand miles on my Harleys wearing them. They fit great, and last forever.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote