Find
Notify
Tools

Cigar Stores in Windhoek
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted
I'll be heading to Namibia in late July, and would like to pick up some cigars in Windhoek before heading out to camp. Any recommendations either near the airport or heading north toward Etosha?? I'll be stopping in Frankfort on the way- would cigars be cheaper there than Windhoek??

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If cigars are that important, (ugh on those nasties), couldn't one just tuck a few in their luggage and solve the preceived problem of finding them somewhere along the way? Confused
Just asking.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just pack a box in my luggage. Good Dominicans. IMHO, Cubans are overrated and overpriced. I have never had them stolen. I find that A.Fuente 858s in their hard wooden box travel well. I usually leave them with the PH.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bud,

You'll find a decent selection of Cubans in Wecke & Voigts Department store on the main street just a door down from the entrance to the Kalahari Sands arcade. (Why anyone would buy those flavorless products of the Dominican Republic is beyond me Wink )

Wecke & Voigts may be online and you may be able to price the cigars. As for Frankfurt, I've not found the duty free shopping there all that much of a bargain...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks, Tim. I didn't want to use the "C" word since I know it's illegal for American citizens to buy them, but the evidence is destroyed in a series of small fires

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Come on man, you're going to be in Africa. Haven't you heard the phrase "When in Rome,..."? Have your PH stop off at a local shop up north and pick out some local zebra dung and a discarded newspaper for rolling your own.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
It's not illegal when you are on another continent.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Yeah! "BEST BLEND," ["BB"] tobacco. Rolled in old telephone directory pages. At night, it looks like an erupting volcano with the flames and sparks flying. You'll cough like an old Bushman tracker, fart like a zebra raiding a green oats field and never know if you have a cold or flu again. Don't be a wuss, give it a go and a lot cheaper than them damn ceegars. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
BGH: You're wrong. Technically, you can't even buy them overseas. See below:

Cuban Cigars Are Illegal at Home and Abroad
Technically, although an American citizen cannot even purchase or smoke a Cuban cigar while traveling abroad, there may not be any practical way to enforce the restriction

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin stop smoking........and live longer.

hunt safe wisent

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Duty Free in Frankfurt is going to have a much better selection and probably better prices than any place in Windhoek. Further, do you really want to be futzing around Namibia hoping to find the brand and size you want. I would rather be hunting! You could also just buy a decent box of smokes in the US, bag them, and throw them in your carry on without too much worry of them drying out. Depending on the length of your hunt, a nice box of eight La Gloria Cubana Churhill tubos might be just the ticket. I took a full box of Hoyo de Monterey Pantelas on my last trip and they were wonderful. I think it was about $60 for the box and I smoked about half of the 25 over 14 days. I then gave some away to the trackers/skinners and dropped two or three in my pocket for the trip home. It worked out beautifully without breaking the bank.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Tendrams: Thanks for the info. I arrive in Windhoek at 5:00AM, so the stores will all be closed anyway. I'll try the Duty Free shops at the Frankfort Airport, then take the train into town and play tourist for a few hours

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The duty free in Windhoek airport has a small selection, the Jo'burg airport selection is a lot better.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
The duty free in Windhoek airport has a small selection, the Jo'burg airport selection is a lot better.

I believe he said he was traveling through Frankfurt. Regardless, aren't travelers going through the international terminal in J'burg prohibited from buying duty free items for onward travel to Namibia (or Botswana and Zambia and possibly Zim for that matter)?

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
quote:

Thanks, Tim. I didn't want to use the "C" word since I know it's illegal for American citizens to buy them, but the evidence is destroyed in a series of small fires

There is a famous anecdote about former NATO Commander and Secretary of State Alexander Haig who, when observed and chastised for smoking a Cuban cigar said, "I prefer to think of it as destroying their crops."

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
quote:

I believe he said he was traveling through Frankfurt. Regardless, aren't travelers going through the international terminal in J'burg prohibited from buying duty free items for onward travel to Namibia (or Botswana and Zambia and possibly Zim for that matter)?

I bought cigars in Jo'burg's duty free on the way to Zim last summer. I don't know about any restrictions to other countries.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
quote:

I bought cigars in Jo'burg's duty free on the way to Zim last summer. I don't know about any restrictions to other countries.

I was not allowed to buy a bottle of scotch at the J'burg duty free once the cashier saw my boarding pass to Namibia. She rattled off a short list of southern African countries that I could not take duty free items to.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
We have never been turned down in Duty Free in JNB, but that all depends on who is working. They have a good selection with CUbans, but prices are high for sure. Never have had any problems bringing a box or more with us in luggage or carry on, and we have done both many times. Unless you are just hung up on Cubans, you will be better off price and hassle wise bringing from US...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
TIM: Thanks for the response. I wouldn't say I'm "hung up" on Cubans, just really enjoyed them the last time I had some in 2007. My wife and I were in Shanghai, and I got 5 Cubans for 19 yuan (less than $3.00). They were fantastic tasting, and lasted forever. It took me two days to smoke the 5 cigars. I also used to have a cigar from time to time with my Dad on hunting and fishing trips and I associate a good cigar with those pleasant memories.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Well Bud, I understand that. We all have our favorites - and that is what makes the world go around. I hope you find the exact stogies you are looking for in a convenient place and enjoy them to the fullest. Having a nice cigar at the end of the day in Africa has become my favorite ritual over there...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd just pick up a 15 capacity herfador and carry your preferred brand. At least you'll know you have an assortment with you. Take a ziploc and some of those little humidification pillows, and if you find something interesting in duty free or windhoek, they will keep fresh until you can get them in your hardcase. I'd take some budget cigars for the trackers- i get some great smokes via the internet for a couple bucks a piece if you buy boxes. Hell, my go to, everday cigar's are $2 ea if you catch a sale and buy boxes.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Having completed my Namibian hunt, I can report on my quest for decent Cuban cigars at a decent price. Long story short, the best prices and selection BY FAR were at the Frankfort Duty Free Shops. I shopped in downtown Frankfort, and their prices were VERY expensive. I bought a box of 25 Cubans for 130 Euros at Frankfort Duty Free. The same cigars were $N990 (about $125 US) at the store next to Kalahari Sands in downtown Windhoek for a five pack. Jo berg Duty Free prices were much higher than Frankfort too. The satisfaction of puffing on a good Cuban and drinking a cold Taffel after bagging my first African plains game (a 40" gemsbok bull) was priceless. I thought of Tim and his kind words while puffing away.

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Well Bud, I understand that. We all have our favorites - and that is what makes the world go around. I hope you find the exact stogies you are looking for in a convenient place and enjoy them to the fullest. Having a nice cigar at the end of the day in Africa has become my favorite ritual over there...

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
First you buy one of these. . .
Nalgene Bottle Then you buy one of these Boveda packs
Fill the bottle with your favorite Cigars and stuff one Boveda pack in there along with a cigar cutter maybe a lighter or book of matches and away you go! So simple!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote