THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Post hunt travel in Namibia advice

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post hunt travel in Namibia advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looks like I am finally going to get to go to Namibia this summer. I am trying to squeeze in Etosha and Sossusvlei while I am there. Can I hunt 10 days and get to see Etosha and the dunes in 4 days?
Do I need to cut out hunting days and drop down to 7 days hunting to do this?

Posts: 65 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4 days is plenty to see Etosha and the "Dunes".

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After two nights in Etosha, GB, budget for one day to drive from Etosha to Sossus, and best plan to do it during daylight. Should not be a problem but it'll take most of the day, adding a stop for lunch.

Can overnight at Sossus, do the vlei the next morning and maybe have lunch before going on to Windhoek for dinner and overnight before catching flight back.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goose:

Not sure what part of Namibia you will be hunting in but just to give you a little perspective on sizes, drive times and distances....

Namibia is the size of the state of Texas. The drive from Windhoek to Etosha NP is 6-8 hours depending on road construction and the drive from Windhoek to Swakopmund/Walvis Bay is 4-6, again depending on road construction. Swakopmund is several hours north of Sossusvlei which kind of the center/eastern edge of the Namib (Naukluft). Swakopmund is on the northern edge.

My wife and I have been going to Namibia every year for the past 6 and love it. Rent a car every year except the first and last year and drive over to Swakopmund and use it as our "base", mostly due to the availability of lodging and restaurants and tours based out of there. Things like ATV and 4x4 tours out into the Namib and Sandwich Harbor and Walvis Bay boat tours etc.

If you are hunting within an hour or two drive from Etosha, maybe your PH offers a day-trip there - would save you a boatload of driving.

If you do rent a car and drive, limit your driving to daylight hours only. There are some big beasties that roam at night and they don't have a national 911 Emergency system like in the US - something happens you could be there all night or until someone happens to find you. Very little traffic outside of the main cities and small towns after dark and no "7-Elevens" between them either.

Not meant to scare you just make you aware that it is different and a little higher level of precaution is prudent.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gooseblitz,

In my opinion based on what you described for your hunt… No you can’t do that sightseeing itinerary after the hunt if you include the drives without being rushed unless you are hunting close to one or the other. Namibia is much too beautiful and interesting to have a rushed drive through the county. When I did my planning and two trips in 2006 and 2009 we ended having to decide to see either northern Namibia or southern Namibia but not try to do both. I think the trip as you have described will be lots of driving and will be hard to take the time to see all that each place offers. I will say that two days in Etosha is more than enough to get a good feel of the park unless you just want to go there and chill out. Neither is to be missed…in my mind you need to add more days or plan another trip…neither of which is bad in Namibia.

Good luck,
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gooseblitz:
Looks like I am finally going to get to go to Namibia this summer. I am trying to squeeze in Etosha and Sossusvlei while I am there. Can I hunt 10 days and get to see Etosha and the dunes in 4 days?
Do I need to cut out hunting days and drop down to 7 days hunting to do this?

Easily IMO IF you are hunting in Northern Namibia. My son and I did it and had plenty of time to spare BUT Etosha is boring after a few hours to me. I'm not into looking at animals, I'm into hunting them. We spent less than a day, including a night, there total and that was plenty for us. Obviously others have a different opinion. However, if you're into photography it could take a month or a lifetime.

I like the Dunes a lot and really enjoy Swakopmund (try the fishing, beach or boat or both). Like the poster above, I'd base out of Swakopmund myself. I can still visualize that gigantic burger my son ate.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like a couple of other posts I would highly recommend Swakopmund. We spent three days there after hunting Damaraland and had a great time fishing from the shore (Caught 4 bronze whalers in the 100 to 200 lb range). First time I'd been surf fishing and the sharks really put up a fight, took 30 to 45 minutes of hard work to land them. There's also quad riding and other things to do. We stayed at the Swakopmund Hotel which I highly recommend along with beer and food at the Swakopmund Brauhaus. The downtown area of Swakopmund has lots of shops and the whole place is clean and tidy.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
At Sossusvlei you can only drive to the very end of the road in a 4wheel drive vehicle. You said you were coming out this way in summer which will be our winter then which is good. Getting out and walking up those dunes is just absolutely magnificent.

Buy your entry tag the afternoon before you intend to gain access the following morning early. Gates open 30 minutes later for non-residents, ie, people who do not camp inside the park. If you do not have your tag in hand you have to line up before you can get one and that wastes a lot of time. We were at the gate about 40 mins before opening time which put us first in line, we had a tag and just drove right through when the gates opened.

The hotel at Sossus is first rate with an airconditioned tent. When dining, sit close the the perimiter wall and wait for the jackal to come begging for scraps but do not feed them.

Etosha is fine but you get to see enough gemsbok, jackal and springbok after a while but YMMV.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swakop and Soussesvlie, with travel between the two is four days, That is if you dont stop and take pictures of everything that you pass. Including the camels!

Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulcinea:
Swakop and Soussesvlie, with travel between the two is four days, That is if you dont stop and take pictures of everything that you pass. Including the camels!

Keith

It takes a damn long time for you to drive 250 miles is all I can say, should take less than 6 hours one way.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulcinea:

Keith

Dulcinea I still have your Namibia Guide Book. I just realized this when the Mrs. and I decided to revive my dream trip a couple weeks ago. I will get it back to you. I moved over near Dover a few years back.

Posts: 65 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Feel free to keep it until you are finished with your trip. I highly recommend the Zebra River Lodge at Soussevlie. 90k's from the dunes but they take you on a private tour of the dunes and make sure you do not miss picture pops.
Any other help
Just let me know.
Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote