Find
Notify
Tools

Ethiopian Airlines?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Last year there was some informed speculation that Ethiopian Airlines would soon be compromised by a proposed union with some lesser African carriers.

I'm flying to Dar es Salaam before too long and the price on Ethiopian is much less, the schedule better and you don't have the AMS gun permit issue (unless you need to do something in Addis Ababa?)

Comments? Suggestions? Experiences?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I flew Ethiopian Airlines to Lusaka last month. The flight was okay. They don't serve cocktails in coach (beer and wine only) and the movie selection is not nearly as good as Delta or SAA. They also weigh your carry ons and will make you gate check just about anything that is larger than a handbag or small backpack.

My biggest concern is that they don't seem to be all that knowlegeable about transporting firearms. I was advised by the gate agent in Dulles that my firearm case might be pulled aside until I could produce my Zambian firearms permit. The problem was, my PH had my permit waiting for me in Lusaka. Luckily they just transferred my gun case without issue. Then, on my return, Addis Ababa security pulled me out of the boarding gate just before departure, took me down into the bowels of the airport and asked to inspect my firearms case and see my firearms permit. Of course I don't have a US firearms permit and they were not interested in seeing my 4457. They looked over my Zambian firearms permit (luckily I kept a copy) and it seemed all was in order but it still took quite a while for the superiors to say it was ok to load my firearm onto the plane. I very nearly missed my flight.

My suggestions: have all your firearms permits in hand before departing the US and be prepared to present them to whoever up until you arrive home, and use someone like Steve Turner with Travel With Guns and be prepared to call him if you have any problems along the way.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I guess Delta/KLM is the way to go. Never had a problem going to Dar in several trips and why change horses, I reckon.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I consider to fly with Ethiopian to Tanzania this Year. How about Gun Travel. Please post your experiences with them. Thanks

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
See above.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote