THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Layover in joburg rifle transfer

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Layover in joburg rifle transfer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We are flying into joburg on one set of tickets where we have a five hour layover and then onto Beira Moz. on a second ticket. What is involved in transferring the firearms within the joburg airport and onto our next flight to Beira. Do we have to fill out the SAPS paperwork if we are just transferring them onto another flight.

I'm hoping we can get them checked all the way through but if we have to claim them in joburg and re-check them onto the second ticket I want to have all my ducks in a row.

Thanks for any help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the rifles are unloaded and put on a bagage claim conveyor, they will be collected and sent over to the police station. You would have to go and claim them.
I don't see any reason they can't be checked all the way through.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check them all the way through. If you do not claim them in SA you will not have to fill out a SAP520, if I were you however I would have the SAP form filled out with invitation letter ownership papers and copy of your passport unsigned Just in case there i a screw up.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
d.unger,

Five hours is plenty of time to receive your guns/luggage and physically recheck them onto the Beira flight. Get one of the meet/greet outfits to walk you through the process. If you do this your chance of getting your kit at your final destination is improved and if your stuff does not arrive you'll have a pretty good idea where it is. If you check it all the way through and it does not arrive in Beira you won't have a clue where it is.

Gracy Travel probably sends more folks to Africa than anyother travel agency and when questioned they always recommend you receive your luggae in JNB and physically recheck it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark, that is what we will do. I went through the same thing going to zim on two tickets but I couldn't remember how we handled the baggage. I think Bruce from Gracy helped us through, less chance of getting baggage lost if it is rechecked.

Don't like doing two tickets but aeroplan tickets could only get us to joburg.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2006, we checked straight through to Beira. The fun began in Beira, as when we told the officials the "cartouches" were in my "valise" already on the bush plane! They indicated this was a "big problem." The big problem went away when our bush pilot told the officials he would bring them some meat on Tuesday. Petty corruption at its finest.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
d.unger
Sounds like if you just take a can of spam with you, all problems can be remedied.
Personally, I'd use Gracy & follow their instructions.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Already got an email into Christy at Gracy, also added two cans of spam to my packing list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am flying on to another country and not overnighting, I just check my bags all the way to my destination. Knock on wood, it has worked out just fine all of the trips but it is definitely cheap insurance if you have the time. The meet and greet isn't expensive and is certainly worth it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never used the Meet and Greet service have always done it on my own.
Believe it or not it has become easier.
I am pretty sure you will have to get your luggage in Joberg and the police will take you and your gun to the Firearms room.
Have your forms filled out ahead of time and it goes pretty quick. They were very nice and helpful my last trip in December no problems.
Good luck don't panic take it easy it will work out great. All part of the African Experience
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a question about our return. On the way over we will be overnighting in Joberg staying at AfricaSky and using their meet and greet with pre-approved SAP forms. The next day we will fly on to Bulawayo.

Howver on the way home we will depart Vic Falls vis SAA to joberg and then Atlanta via Delta. Will I be allowed to check luggage through to Atalnta from Vic Falls? If not will the SAP forms used for intitial entry into SA work for the way home?

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you will be able to check your guns and luggage all the way through to Atlanta. On your out bound leg where you overnight you will receive a transit permit. Keep hold of this just in case you have airline problems and have to overnight in Jo berg

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a long layover in Joberg on my return. Would it be safer to claim and re-check rifles in Joberg rather than try to check direct to Atlanta considering flying SAA out of Vic Falls and Delta out of Joberg?

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that makes you more conferrable go for it. Or You can check with the ticket agent before your flight if you have your baggage claim to see if your luggage made it. I have checked my baggage through to final destination on a number of times with no problems. Re checking can be a Cluster F*** at Jo Burt Lots of petty bribes.

posted Hide Post
No more bribing in Jo'berg please. I've gone there twice this year and no problems with under the table payments. I've checked clear through both times with no problems. Now all the airlines have to have 100% bag match with the passengers names. The bags for the most part always get through with the pax.