THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Import permits for Germany or England when transiting?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Import permits for Germany or England when transiting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Getting conflicting info - from the respective gov'ts, no less.

I'm flying through Frankfurt with guns checked straight through to Jo'burg. Do I need a German import permit or not?

Similarly, flying back through Heathrow, with bags checked straight through to Toronto. Do I need a British import permit?

Yeah, the flights are a bit screwy, but with air miles, you take what you can get...

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
As long as they are checked straight through and you do not have to take possession of them you are good to go. I'd call 72 hours before flying just to remind the airline you are flying with firearms. When you check in, make certain baggage tags are for your final destination! We are doing exactly the same flight but in reverse order in May.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If you're flying BA they insist on 72 hours notice of travelling with firearms and be sure to get a hard copy of their confirmation and take that with you when you travel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WannabeBwana:
Getting conflicting info - from the respective gov'ts, no less.

I'm flying through Frankfurt with guns checked straight through to Jo'burg. Do I need a German import permit or not?

Similarly, flying back through Heathrow, with bags checked straight through to Toronto. Do I need a British import permit?

Yeah, the flights are a bit screwy, but with air miles, you take what you can get...

From a logical point of view, if they are checked through to destination they are in transit and therefore (logically) are not being imported.

Unfortunately though, what is logic to some becomes a monumental issue to others (the clueless types commonly found behind a counter).

I suggest you drop your Consular representative in Frankfurt a line and get a confirmation to your question.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Here is one of my horror stories from the Frankfurt Airport. One year my rifles were inadvertently off loaded in Frankfurt on a return trip to the states from Africa. Talk about a mess! I went, with my offloaded rifles, to the German authorities and voluntarily reported it. Two hours later and after they had gone through every book and manual they could find, they still didn't know what to do with me and my rifles. All this time my wife had already passed through customs and was panicking, wondering where the hell I was. I suggested that they call the Delta rep and they did so. He eventually arrived, spoke to them in German, and took me and my rifles and luggage to priority boarding where I met up with my wife. The Delta rep got us on our flight to the States with literally no extra time to spare.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
That's why it's critical that you triple check the baggage tag they put on your firearm case and your baggage with ammo in it. Make sure it indicates your final destination only. We've caught their mistake a couple times when checking in and it saved a headache like you experienced.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
When transiting the UK make DOUBLE-TRIPLE-QUADZIPPLE SURE that you are NOT changing airports from Heathrow to Gatwick or vice versa. That will cause you no end of trouble!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone taken a rifle with them to Germany for the purpose of hunting? Too complicated?? Easier to borrow one??

The Jagdschein (Gast) will be taken care of.

Recommendations??

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote