New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling with a Tuffpak
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't made a trip to Africa since 2002 or for that matter flown anywhere with firearms, so I am kind of "out of the loop" on TSA and airline requirements.

I have a Tuffpak from the mid-nineties with the "vending machine" type lock on the top.

Can I still use this case "as is" to transport firearms, or is the locking device obsolete? If so, what modification has to be made?

Thanks for the help--

Posts: 69 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 02 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
458 - The lock you have is perfect for todays firearms travel. Rules say that you are the only one to have a key, so TSA locks are a no no. So no mods at all required. Just fill it up, lock it up and head for Africa.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used my original Tuffpak almost every year traveling to Africa since 2001 and had no problems at all.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I made one trip to Africa with one of the large ones. It would not fit in the Bush Plane, and was kind of a pain moving around the Airports. I got rid of it as soon as I could when I got home. I think one of the smaller ones that would require the Rifles be broke down would be Ok. I bought a Pelican hard case for my Rifles and like it much better.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
When you do a charter out to camp, your PH/Outfitter should make arrangements to store your hardside rifle case until you return to town. Have done many times. Rifles goes into the charter in their softcase only.

My TuffPack has gone to Africa on more than a dozen safari since 1997 and is still going strong. I added the cloth duffle for inside the case and highly recommend this for simplifying inspections.

If you can drive to camp there is no issue with any hardside.

JMO but I think there is no better travel case than TuffPack.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
thumb

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont worry about any TSA locks
None of the African countries use any keys cause they dont have any. This is true
They use screwdrivers and pliers to open locks when they want to.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Your original TuffPak is as it should be: No TSA locks. By the way, the TuffSak is the way to go when transferring to the smaller bush planes. Leave your TuffPak behind at the Outfitter's house and just take the TuffSak and your rifles in their soft cases located inside. I just bought my second TuffPak from Mims and picked it up, along with my new double rifle, at the SCI Convention. Made its first maiden air voyage home with the double rifle inside.