THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Transfer through IAD (Washington D.C.) with guns.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transfer through IAD (Washington D.C.) with guns.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Taking off on the other thread...

I will be flying into Washington D.C. (IAD) on the 30th, but my flight out to Paris on the 31st.

I will be spending a night in National Harbor, Maryland...

Will I need to do anything special to transfer my gun from inbound flight to hotel and then check them in on the next day for the international flight?

Like NY, do you have a reasonable amount of time to have guns or do I need to keep them at the airport?

Thanks!!!

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."
Dan Gable

Posts: 55 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BB
Wouldn't it be easier to check them all the way through to your final destination, then you wouldn't have to reclaim them in Washington.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, it would be easier, but I am flying Delta in on the 30th and Air France out on the 31st.

Neither are linked (pnr) and I don't know that you can check bags/guns through with that extra day inbetween.

On the return, they were able to link the two, but I fly into IAD and out to ATL several hours apart.

Maybe a call to Delta would help...

Just hoping to get some advice from the folks on here that maybe did the same.

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."
Dan Gable

Posts: 55 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We spent the night once there and did retrieve our guns, the hotel put them in a locked safe room for us. Wasn't much of a hassle 7 years ago but I can't give any advice in todays environment.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did Atl to dulles then flew to rsa the next day back in sept. Had zero problems with guns being taken to the hotel in washington.

posted Hide Post
You will be fine!!

I'm a police officer in PG County the county which the National Harbor is located. Don't venture outside the the National Harbor area you'll be fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you spending the night in MD to visit friends? If there is not other reason there is marriot on site at dulles airport as well as several others close by that offer free shuttle service. Staying at one of these places in VA and there will for sure be no problem. I would not think MD would be a problem, going into or through DC however, may be a problem. I can not answer for sure on that, but they are squirrelly.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
My habitual advice is still the same, verify with Air France that your rifle AND AMMO approvals have been made for all and are viewable on the screen the check-in staff use.

I flew out of Dulles to Paris and the rifle was in the system, but not the ammo and I had to leave it with a friend who dropped me off at the airport.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I agree with Brent. Spend the night in VA where IAD is located. VA is a much more gun friendly state than MD. Whatever you do, don't take your guns into DC. I've flown out of IAD several times on my way to Joberg and never had a problem with TSA or the airport folks regarding my guns.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote