New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dulles to Jo'berg to Harare
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am leaving for Harare on Sunday. I have done the South Africa trip several times, but never connected through Jo'berg to another country. I am not overnighting, just have a 2 hr layover. What is the process?

What is different than the typical baggage/customs process.

I assume there is not a baggage/rifle collection process (assuming my bags are checked all the way to Harare).

I welcome any and all suggestions/recommendations.

Posts: 150 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Theoretically, you don't need to do anything other than change planes, and your luggage shows up in Harare with you.

My personal experience based on doing the exact same thing once, is that there is a 33 1/3 % chance of that occurring.

Our other two bags got there on Air Botswana the next day, forcing us to RON in Harare and costing us a hunting day....

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
The above has been almost my experience, albeit, I'm batting 50%. I've had no trouble retrieveing the bags at Harare the next day, however. If possible, I now stay a day at the Afton house to avoid the angst.

Tambo is pretty good in giving the traveler sufficient signange to navigate to the concourse where the flight to Harare leaves. Of course, you stay in the international concourse and will have a good hike to the waiting area where you will take a bus to the A/C.

If you don't have a visa for Zimbabwe, make sure you get in the proper line in Zimbabwe and have the proper U.S. bills to buy it. I've seen folks hurry to the customs kiosk, only to have to then go to the lady selling visas.. That can cost you 30 minutes, easy. Have a couple of black ball point pens to fill out the permits/visa. I always leave the pen with the custom folks and they gladly take them.

Someone else can tell you the visa fee and other fees (all payable in U.S. dollars). I've forgotten.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the info. I am overnighting in Harare at the Harrison House. Hopefully we will get to leave on time without waiting for bags. I am an ultralight packer, so only my rifles and ammo are at risk. As if that is not important.... Wink
Thanks again for the tips and info.

Posts: 150 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I've done this route numerous times, including March and last August. Check your bags thru to Harare, and as was stated in Joburg just change planes. The updated terminal in Joburg is well marked, when you land just look for the "connecting flights" arrow and follow it to the desk where you need to check-in with SAA. Keep your luggage tags handy...I forget where exactly but somewhere along the line for the first time we were asked to produce these.

2hrs is not a lot of time, but hopefully your bags will make the transfer. Sometimes you can check at the SAA desk before boarding and they can tell you if the luggage has been loaded, in March they said they did not have that capability w/their terminals so perhaps this is not possible any longer. Ditto in Dullles assuming you are connecting...I think this is where a lot of the problems come from.

Knock on wood, I am running 100% w/my bags on 12 trips to Africa…so it can happen. In any case, pack ALL that you absolutely need in your carry-on, and if the suitcases arrive all the better! You can always lighten it up for the way back.

Good luck, and have fun!

PS - Tell Shirley Bill said hi! Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:The updated terminal in Joburg is well marked, when you land just look for the "connecting flights" arrow and follow it to the desk where you need to check-in with SAA. Keep your luggage tags handy...I forget where exactly but somewhere along the line for the first time we were asked to produce these.

Exactly - I was passing through in Oct. 06 and April 09 - in 06 had only 1hr connection and rifle showed up in Hre, bag was on next SAA flight in the evening. This year I had 2hrs connection and all went well - I have filled in a F.R.20 at home and made 3 copies - guy at the desk in Hre was delighted. You can get a copy here - just leave the date and signature place empty.

P.S. Firearm may not turn up with regular baggage (don't panic - yet), but will be delivered to you personaly at the end of baggage claim by a porter - in my case he apeared with 5 firearms for all the hunters on the flight.

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As has been said above all you need do is deplane at jborg, go to the transit gates, check in with SAA, go through customs and then go to the departure lounge. On all our past trips to harare we have had time to go to the premier lounge, shower, shave before boarding the harare flight. Just be certain all your checked baggage is checked all the way to harare

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I made this exact flight a few weeks ago. Just checked by bags through to Harare at Dulles and everything went fine. Bags and guns arrived with me at Harare. Same thing on the return flight. SAA in Joberg was able to confirm that my bags made the connection - just be sure to ask.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for all the info. Is the Harare flight still downstairs where there are 4-5 gates all together? This is where my Moz flight departed last year. I think we had to ride a little bus out to the plane....

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STGS:
Many thanks for all the info. Is the Harare flight still downstairs where there are 4-5 gates all together? This is where my Moz flight departed last year. I think we had to ride a little bus out to the plane....

That is where the connections were the last two years I made the connection to Harare. You walked down a long hall (with the biltong stand Smiler) then took a long escalator down to a ground level where there were multiple gates where they would bus you to the plane for loading.

Mike

Posts: 21234 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

That is where the connections were the last two years I made the connection to Harare. You walked down a long hall (with the biltong stand Smiler) then took a long escalator down to a ground level where there were multiple gates where they would bus you to the plane for loading.

Ah yes the biltong stand. Last year I think there was a cell phone and "gangsta" accessories stand near by as well. Always gotta get my bling.

Thanks again guys for the assistance. A full report will ensue upon my return.