Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel from Kenya to RSA
 Login/Join

posted
I am beginning to plan a safari to RSA. I will be in Mombasa for about a week and then travel to Joberg. The trip will originate and end at Dallas/Fort Worth. Does anyone have experience or recommendations getting from Mombasa or Nairobi to Joberg?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Posts: 14 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send a PM to DDRHook he goes back and forth frequently

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fly out of nairobi to joberg it's a 3 hr flight with no stops you can pick the time you want to leave kenya air flight day time saa flights later flights

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Kenya Airlines is a Skyteam member airline, with KLM, Air France, Delta, etc. so you may have Frequent Flyer mile options if you use those airlines.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Using Frequent flyer miles might be the cheapest option, especially for multi-city trips. For example, I think it would cost a total of 110000 US Airways dividend miles to travel in business class from the US to Nairobi, spend a week there, and then go home via Joburg, spending another week in Joburg. These miles can be bought from US Airways, I think they will cost about $1900 for 100000 miles. There are cheaper ways of obtaining them, there is a way to get them for about one cent per mile if you make a transfer of miles before October 30th.
In fact, I am leaving this week for Mombasa, spending some time there, and then spending five days in Johannesburg before returning to Europe, all on the same ticket. This is allowed because Johannesburg is a hub city for South African Airways.

posted Hide Post
After a hunt in Zimbabwe one year I flew to Nairobi and drove from there to Mombasa, saw Karen's house, stopped in Ambosili (forgive my spelling) for several days, stopped at the bridge at Tsavo and sat for hours thinking of Patterson; it is fine country and I should think much like it was when Earnest took the train from Mombasa to Nairobi long ago on his journeys. The Stanley Hotel in Nairobi is not anything like it use to be, however, stay at the Norfolk. I would not take the train now days, by the way, kinda dangerous; Kenya Airlines has many flights between the two cities. Mombasa has a very high Muslim population and at night all over the city you can hear the prayer calls. I stayed in a place south of Mombasa and bill fished several days; the water was warm and elephants came down from the hills and bathed on the beach. I drove way north of Malindi and found some good surf but lots of bad guys with guns everywhere the closer you get to Somalia.

My only suggestion is to make sure that you have a yellow fever shot as you will not be allowed back into Joburg without having one coming from Kenya. Kenya is yellow fever prone, especially along the coast.

Kenya is an important stop in East African, African hunting lore, and a trip to be taken, for sure. Be careful in Mombasa, indeed all of Kenya outside the luxury camps. I remember Kenya very fondly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask Obama, he has folks there!! Big Grin

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Whether he does or does not, Kenya is worth visiting even if you can't kill every animal that crosses the road. ALL of Africa is an amazing continent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Norfolk is a nice hotel in Nairobi, no doubt, but look at the NGONG HOUSE also if you get up to Nairobi, it's unique and really is a better deal with all drinks & meals included(champagne though you are on your own). It's in Karen and about 45 minutes from the airport (if there's no traffic and can be 3hrs if you're in the JAM(rush hour)--but it can 2hrs if you're in Nairobi and the JAM is happening)---I'll be staying in Karen for the better parts of next 7-8 months and I'll have more and more info about Nairobi as time goes on. I would stay away from the east side of town though as of now(bombings seem to be on the rise there). If you do come to Nairobi and have looked at some places or heard of some places to hang your hat let me know and I'll get the inside scoop for you or try to. My driver knows a lot about the hotel scene as he works for a safari company when he's not driving us around. Also would be good to have a cocktail or two if it would work out.

Mombasa is known for it's women I hear(have yet to visit there), so hang onto your money is the word I've been told(M. Shellman's words also), as they mesmerize you and next thing you know you're a poor man!! Also it's hot and muggy. Nairobi so far has been pretty pleasant weather wise(60-80* F), but it has been raining some and the rains are to continue is the word. Nairobi sits at about 6000ft in elevation also.

Also pick-pockets abound(M.Shellman's words again), so take heed of cell phones, wallets, etc....

good luck---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
weather is wonderful here right now we had some rains a couple weeks ago but none for they last week and a half. safety is not a big an issue as it used to be BUT that being said you are in the third world so care is always advisable. if you don't want the high dollars modern hotels look into some of the more local places. safari lodge on thika rd was nice last time i was there not high dollars but reasonable security all though a bite far from city center. YA Mombasa is known for it's women has been a sex tourist destination for a long time and still is lots of Europeans come there. shade hotel in karen is very old very used very cheap 26 buck a night. food is local but good. close to some very nice local restaurants. Talazman (spelling) is excellent. Rusty Nail is good. again if you want local food there are several good places within 5 mins of karen shopping. i'm staying 20 min from karen shopping center right now

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS. yes we are in the winter rainy season now it usually is not a strong are the spring?summer rainy season

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for the Talisman also as being good. Tamamba is also good(these are in Karen). There are others also. Oh yea I suggest you don't drink the water either no matter where you stay, unless they say it's 100% filtered. I don't even use the water on my toothbrush. All hotels should have bottled water in your room. Bring some high powered Zulu's revenge medication with you. I brought 3 doses with me this last time. ....chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I drove a bit thru the Ngong Hills while reading an excellent book about Denys Finch Hatton; I felt perfectly safe there and Karen's weather is delightful, indeed. I envy you guys. You are in an area of Africa steeped with colonial history that all hunters and non-hunters should take stock in and find the time to experience. Its worth a drive east into Masai country and as I have said, where the train crosses the Tsavo was fantastic to me. I sat under a big whipsy tree and read Patterson there. I understand they are trying to upgrade the 'ol lunatic line, yes?

At my age when I see a beautiful woman I think I would rather have a good ham sandwich...trolling for big blues, thats why I went to Mombasa. North of there, toward Malindi is the wild, wild east. I stayed at the Mombasa Club, which like the Vic Falls Hotel and the Bulawayo Club was a step back in colonial time I will remember forever.

Remind me please of the best beer in Kenya.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes it is a dream of a life time to live here. I worked at Voi a few yrs ago in a gemstone mine for Campbell Bridges just before he was killed. the ngonng hills are beautiful. mt. casigal(spelling) in a great place to see sun bird there is something like 150 different varieties of them in that area.
There have talked about reviving the old rail line for yrs but nothing has come of it so far. if you here for a few Days National Park is still a nice game drive for those who a time restricted. it's right in town now that town has grown so much and you can still see the big five plus an abundance of plans game. i have also be doing lots of traveling between Nairobi and Arusha this yr. by bus it's a wonderful drive i have made so good friend and business acquaintances there.

hunters lodge in Voi is still open but is a shell of what it was in it's glory day.s but a nice place to stop for a rest on the way to or from Mombasa. even after all the yrs i have been coming here i'm still finding new things all the time. it never gets boring

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M.Shellman---The beer would be Tusker I believe.

I still have to get out and about, but I'll be so extremely busy during my extended stay that all my ventures will be played by ear I fear.

I'm sittin in the SFO airport, as I type, waiting for boarding time to begin my journey back to Kenya.

chris

posted Hide Post
Tusker, of course. Thanks.

Good travels to you, sir.

Enjoy Kenya, both of you, it is mzuri, ndio?

Ndio.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M.
sani sana. tusker tastes lick croc piss pilsnor is better simba beer hahahaha

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember when entering Kenya you need to pay $50USD for a Visa. This is a single entry visa, so if you are going to other Africa Countries you need to ask about a mulitple entry Visa. I know they have one for $100usd, but for some reason it wasn't as good of a deal as I thought it might be, so I didn't get it. Again you should research this more to get the low down.

Will have to try the Pilsner, I've had Tusker and White Cap so far.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to go nyaya house to get multi entrance visa's and it's a freaking night mare. ka tu ka dogo.. a little something small))) bribe to get anything there