THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Windhoek via Frankfurt layovers

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windhoek via Frankfurt layovers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted
I have been told that there are several day hotels available during the long layover when connecting through Frankfurt. Is there a way to store (or even posses) your guns in Germany if one wanted to spend a few days visiting?

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember a post somewhere on these pages about a way to leave them at the German Police Station in the airport. Can't find it now, though I thought I bookmarked it Mad.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On both of my trips to Namibia we stayed at the Sheraton that ajoins the airport.
Left my rifle with the police on both trips with no problem.
Only rented a day room, so don't know about anything longer.
Shawn at Gracy Travel may can help with your travel concerns.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the 14hrs layover and my guns/luggage were "carry through" so all I had to keep up w/was my carry-on (nylon briefcase w/camera inside).

Did not get a room, just me and two other guys. My wife is going next time and she says no way to not showering that long.

I wouldn't sleep while I was there, stay awake and see Frankfurt or go farther into Germany if you feel comfortable getting that far from the airport. Gets you on Africa time so you aren't quite so jet lagged when you are out on the 'veld those first few days.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will share my secret. My wife and I got a dayroom at the Sheraton in 06. We showered and then went into town for lunch- I recommend taking the train. I was stationed in Frankfurt from 90-92, so getting around is easy for me. We flew business class on Skymiles, so we checked into the Crown Room on our return trip. We discovered that it has great showers and free food and drinks. We skipped the dayroom in 08 and just showered in the Crown Room before heading into town. We plan on using it again this June on our layover. Frankfurt is a large business center, but it also has some nice scenery and good cafes along the Main River. We took a river cruise on our last trip and enjoyed it very much. It is better to stay awake if at all possible and try to sleep most of the leg into Windhoek. You are already on the correct time and should be more prepared for your safari.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Fudd said ++++

Posts: 115 | Location: Sparta (where else?) | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going thru Frankfort in May but spending couple of days. I am going to Ghana and one can't bring firearms into the country (using camp gun) so with out the worry about guns I am going to do the vacation thing. Going down to the Black Forrest and over into France and the other day doing a river cruise.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOJ - Are you sure you can be away from all those guns you have listed for that long? Wink Sounds like a great trip and would do the same as you and not go through the hassle of taking guns. Good luck.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
I am going thru Frankfort in May but spending couple of days. I am going to Ghana and one can't bring firearms into the country (using camp gun) so with out the worry about guns I am going to do the vacation thing. Going down to the Black Forrest and over into France and the other day doing a river cruise.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, if I had my way I would be hunting with my 16X16 over 9.3X74R. Hell it isn't even listed. Eeker

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOJ - Sounds like that would be the perfect medicine for those "tiny" critters you are after. What will they have available for you to hunt with over there? The extended layover in Germany sounds like a real good extension of your adventure.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Larry, if I had my way I would be hunting with my 16X16 over 9.3X74R. Hell it isn't even listed. Eeker

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve says he has a couple of 12ga to pick from. I would assume a double or O/U. Boddington used them so I guess they are useable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, I checked with Steve and he has Baikals an O/U and a single shot. He says most prefer the single as it is lighter to carry. I think they are very serviceable guns just not real fancy and fancy don't kill. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
Newbie here. . . Lots of good African travel information on this forum. I appreciate it.

I'm planning my first off-continent trip. The wife and I are going to Namibia via Frankfurt.
On the way there, we'll have an 11-13 hour layover. The rifles will be in transit and I should be able to clear customs, ride the train into the city, wine and dine, and make it back in plenty of time to catch the evening flight.

On the way back, We'd like to stay for 6-7 days and tour Germany, France, Poland, etc.
I've contacted the Director of Weapons in Frankfurt. He says a permit is no problem. I can fill it out, email it to him, and he will mail a permit to me. He gave me the contact information for several weapons dealers, saying that they could store my rifles for me. If I was only going to be in Germany for a day or two, I could leave them with the customs police, but the Director says I can't do that for 2 to 7 days.
I've emailed the two dealers that I could. One responded that it was not legal for me to leave my weapons with him and then retrieve them. The other has not replied. (language barrier?)

So, I'm back to square one. I can get a German firearms permit, but can't find a place to store the weapons.

Any suggestions? My only other option is to go gun-less and rent/hire a camp gun. That would add to the challenge, but I'd rather use my own rifles and loads.

I have purchased a long-distance card and my next step is to call the Director and see if I can get more information over the phone than I could in email. Then I may have more information and can call some weapons dealers, hoping that they understand English a whole lot better than I do German.

I'd sure like to hear from anyone who has stored rifles in Frankfurt for a few days and successfully retrieved them for the trip home.

Thanks.

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Just leave the guns in Germany, Vance. I'll sell you some new ones when you get home! Big Grin

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
You're the reason I'm always broke! Shoo. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
vlwtx348
Someone out there may know how to legally store your rifles in Germany. But it ain't me!
I'd find out what kind of rifle & scope combo my P.H. had for me to use & what kind of shape it was in & if I were satisfied with it, that's what I would use.
It would be tough as I have a very strong attachment to my firearms, but that would solve the problem.
GOOD LUCK & GOOD HUNTING!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boabab
posted Hide Post
Hi Vance
Try Mr Norbert Ullmann, he is the chairman of SCI Bavaria. Iam sure he will be able to help you with information. Norbert Ullmann email is:SCI Bavaria [norbert.ullmann@scibavaria.de]or sekretariat@scibavaria.de
His English is perfect. Good luck and let us know how you fare.

quote:
Originally posted by vlwtx348:
Newbie here. . . Lots of good African travel information on this forum. I appreciate it.

I'm planning my first off-continent trip. The wife and I are going to Namibia via Frankfurt.
On the way there, we'll have an 11-13 hour layover. The rifles will be in transit and I should be able to clear customs, ride the train into the city, wine and dine, and make it back in plenty of time to catch the evening flight.

On the way back, We'd like to stay for 6-7 days and tour Germany, France, Poland, etc.
I've contacted the Director of Weapons in Frankfurt. He says a permit is no problem. I can fill it out, email it to him, and he will mail a permit to me. He gave me the contact information for several weapons dealers, saying that they could store my rifles for me. If I was only going to be in Germany for a day or two, I could leave them with the customs police, but the Director says I can't do that for 2 to 7 days.
I've emailed the two dealers that I could. One responded that it was not legal for me to leave my weapons with him and then retrieve them. The other has not replied. (language barrier?)

So, I'm back to square one. I can get a German firearms permit, but can't find a place to store the weapons.

Any suggestions? My only other option is to go gun-less and rent/hire a camp gun. That would add to the challenge, but I'd rather use my own rifles and loads.

I have purchased a long-distance card and my next step is to call the Director and see if I can get more information over the phone than I could in email. Then I may have more information and can call some weapons dealers, hoping that they understand English a whole lot better than I do German.

I'd sure like to hear from anyone who has stored rifles in Frankfurt for a few days and successfully retrieved them for the trip home.

Thanks.

Baobab Game Ranch/Caracal Safaris
www.baobab-safaris-namibia.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 30 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
Thanks for his info. I'll give it a try contacting him. I've just about resigned myself to using the PH's rifle. But, I've got plenty of time to see if I can work something out. I've already purchased my airfare, so I'm committed to leave Frankfurt on a Sunday. That might cause me not to be able to retrieve a rifle from storage and get back on the plane.

I'll let you know if I have any luck.

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
I did email back and forth with Norbert quite a bit. He seemed to think I was given bad information. It seems the Customs Police will keep a firearm checked for you for up to two days at no charge. After that, there is a fee. What I was told before was that I could not leave the rifles for 2 or more days. I think it was a failure to communicate.
I am not taking my own firearms this time due to the uncertainties I have and the itinerary I have through JNB. I didn't allow enough layover time in JNB to make me comfortable.We'll be spending a week in Europe on our way home. I'm confident that the PH's rifles are acceptable.
On this, my first but not last, trip I am going to find out the logistics of legally checking a firearm into storage for an extended layover in Germany. Then I'll be prepared for my next trip.