New
Find
Notify
Tools

Give credit where due
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So much has been said about poor service of the airlines and customs I have to give credit where credit is due. Just got back from Namibia using SAA and United and ALL the flights going and coming were either on time or EARLY. All my bags made it on every leg. When I went through customs they didn't even open the rifle case, didn't ask for the serial number, didn't show the 4457. They didn't even spray my boots. They just stamped my passport and I picked up my bags and walked out the door!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the exact same experience with them. It's why I use them.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Me too.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like great service from the airlines. I'm curious about the customs service, isn't it their job to check that people don't bring contraband into the country? USDA does the boots to keep out disease. By doing neither aren't they derelict in the job we pay them to do? Not everyone is as honest as you.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Where did you go through Customs upon your return to the U.S.?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went through Washington, Dulles. Didn't know if this is a new policy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity. Are you a "trusted traveler"? ie are you enrolled in Global Entry?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last two times I returned from SA at Dulles customs never said a word to me or checked anything. Most recent May.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 259 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
txlonghorn: no, just fly once or twice a year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This permit/fee business in Frankfurt is a real pain in the ass. My application was forwarded with the 4-week lead time,however the original directions said NOTHING about the fee,or fee to be included WITH the application in order for it to be "complete"!! My travel agent did not learn of the fee requirement until about 10 days before my departure. With no assurance that I would have the permit before travel, I declined to spend $50 for a wire transfer. Queries about alternative payment were not answered. Guns are checked through to Windhoek,so here's hoping... The answer is to skip the Frankfurt-Windhoek route (and the new $100 Air Namibia gun transit fee) and travel via Joberg, thus avoiding being screwed by both Frankfurt authorities AND Air Namibia !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just came and went thru FF without paying a cent to anyone. Checked with Lufthansa before departure, they said there is no requirement to pay a fee. However, in my case I was connecting to SAA so I did not need to recheck my bags, they were checked thru to final.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudos to SAA and "our" people in JFK and Dulles as well. Just returned last week from a 35 day adventure in Mozambique and all went very smoothly. My SAA flight from JFK to JoBerg was on time and the service was good, food OK (it's airline food folks). Bags were checked all the way through to Moz, absolutely no problem there. No overnight in JoBerg so avoided any problems, extra expense or hassels there. SAA Airlink was great, on time, nice snack on the way to and from Beira, Moz. Return on SAA into Washington Dulles, on time, stop in Dakar a pain, but knew that going in. Customs and entry no problem at all. Everyone friendly upon arrival in USA, Tuff Pak x-rayd but not opened, no shoe cleaning (what a joke that is anyway), flight to Albuquerque on time. On nine different airplanes, including two flights in Moz, all on time, no hassels at any airports, just a long time to get there and back. But hey, that's what going to Africa is all about. Got a nice Buff, and that's it for the "Hunt Report" before anyone asks!! Smiler

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Randy W Martin:
Went through Washington, Dulles. Didn't know if this is a new policy.

I had the same experience in Dulles back in 2007, no checking of rifles. When I come back into the country thru Atlanta they check everything.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fly in and out of Dulles always on SAA, never a problem. Some 14 trips later and all has been well. Only once was I asked to see rifle. Typically just a welcome home sir. Just got my global entry stuff taken care of so looking forward to trying it out on return in sept this year

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember to use the global entry privileges domesticly as well. Since you are a "trusted traveler" you are entitled to use the TSA "pre check" line when you are flying partipating airlines where the lines are available. It's a pilot program but is expanding rapidly. It's nice not having to take your shoes off or take laptops out.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The United-SAA combination as been trouble free for me so I'm booked again that way next month.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with customs has always been positive. Last trip from Rhodesia they cut the lock off my steel gun case in SA. No extra lock on the inside so once I retrieved at JFK the customs agent went looking for an extra lock for me. Unable to find one he had me take the one off of my checked ammo box and put it on the gun. Then told me to tell ticket agent ammo was secure. Got me through.

In Tanz on my return the customs agent in Detroit asked TSA to carry my rifles for me as I had my hands full. TSA was happy to do so as they wanted to know everything about my hunt and the rifles. We talked about 10 minutes about the rifles and hunts. They were all friendly and helpful. Generally if you ask for assistance in a nice way they respond in the same way.

Actually, the only glitch I have ever had was on return in Dar when the KLM ticket agent tried to extort $200 from my extra carry on personal bag. We negotiated and he was happy with the $50 "gratuity" as he assured me all my bags would be wrapped and in Detroit waiting for me...and they were. That extra bag was just a shopping bag with my extra boots in them in case they had to be cleaned.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OP--It was pretty much the same for us. The exception was that TSA did not look at our bags when we landed in Wash DC but they were "put on the wrong belt" according to TSA in San Fran and got inspected there.
The left a slip of paper in them and stole some Rand money I brought back for a friends collection and myself. They also broke several refrig magnets I had carefully packed in the Peligan Ammo boxes that I had "shot" all the ammo that was in there for the trip to Africa.

I called. They could care less. Made it thru 6 flights and the last one (#7) our people(TSA) break items and steal on the last flight when they should not have even been into our bags.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote