THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Alternative Route Into Northern Zim

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternative Route Into Northern Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought that I had found the ideal route into northern Zimbabwe without going through the dreaded Joberg, but I should have known that nothing is that straight forward in Africa.
I hunted Zambia in September and travelled direct to Lusaka from London. When I came to plan the travel for this years trip to northern Zim I thought - I know I'll be smart and do the direct London/Lusaka flight and then a short 40min charter into Kariba.Two less flights and no Joberg; brilliant !
I had even confirmed with the charter company that the cross border flight and the customs clearance at Kariba would be no problem.
The whole plan went to rat shit when I tried to get permission to trasnsfer a firearm. After several emails and correspondence had gone unanswered a pilot from the charter company kindly went to see the chief of police at Lusaka for a face to face meeting.The final outcome was that the only way a firearm could be transfered through Lusaka airport would be if I was in possesion of a temporary import permit. The only source of this would be from a Zawa registered outfitter and the only way they would issue one was if I had a booked hunt in Zambia.
Oh well, it was a good idea while it lasted.
I could always hire a rifle there ?
No -- don't be stupid !!!
Joberg here I come - (with fingers crossed as usual)
Anybody got any other bright suggestions?

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hire a rifle..... jumping

Actually, joking aside, it's becoming increasingly popular with our clients at least. No paperwork, no hassle, no worries about damage or loss in transit and no excess baggage charges. - Although I'd recommend you make sure you know exactly what rifle spec and ammo etc you'll be getting for your money. - Our hire rifles are very good quality, but not every company has as good a quality as we do.

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
For my 2009 hunt in Zim I was thinking of going US to Frankfurt to Windhoek to Vic Falls by air then overland to Matetsi. Has anyone gone that way? I want to avoid Jo'burg if I can. I haven't really looked into that route yet - still busy getting packed for my 2008 trip.

For DG, I wouldn't trust anyone else's rifle but my own, so, even if I have to go through Jo'burg and put up with the SAPS hassle, I guess I'll have to do it.

However.....for a future touristy trip covering 30 days and a half dozen countries I may consider hiring a rifle for a PG hunt in RSA or Botswana or some other country. But that's at least 3 or 4 years away.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I recall we have heard here that both Ethiopian Air and Emirates Air fly into Harare.

But SAA gets you into JNB in time to get the last flight to Harare of the day. No problem in JNB that way!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that taking the last flight of the day out of JNB is a bit risky. My last two transfers to Zim flights have both resulted in lost bags that took several days to catch up. In future I will make sure that there is another flight that day after mine. I am not saying that this will solve the problem, but at least there is a chance that bags could catch you up the same day and enable them to accompany you out to camp. I also try to ensure that there is no less than three hours between flights to give them time to direct the bags to the right plane.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe by 2009 BA will be back into Zim with firearms. Nice concept.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For all those interested I have just found the following option which is now looking favourite for me. Kenyan Airways from London to Nairobi and then on to Harare with the same airline. The only possible problem (and there always seems to be one) is that the turn around time in Nairobi is only one and a half hours. The only plus side is that they do a daily flight to Harare just in case the bags have to play catch up the following day. I can only hope that the situation in both Kenya and Zimbabwe doesn't get any worse before July !!
Dont you just love Africa?
The buzz of DG hunting is the only thing that could possibly make all the hassle worthwhile.

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Not sure why you guys have your undies in a wad over flying through Jo-Berg. In the last year I have been through that airport 7 times without any problems with firearms or baggage. The only problem I had occured in Dulles thanks to the idiots at either United or SAA -- neither of which took responsiblty for my delayed rifle on the go side of one trip. Do things right in Jo-berg and all is well.
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
For all those interested I have just found the following option which is now looking favourite for me. Kenyan Airways from London to Nairobi and then on to Harare with the same airline. The only possible problem (and there always seems to be one) is that the turn around time in Nairobi is only one and a half hours. The only plus side is that they do a daily flight to Harare just in case the bags have to play catch up the following day. I can only hope that the situation in both Kenya and Zimbabwe doesn't get any worse before July !!
Dont you just love Africa?
The buzz of DG hunting is the only thing that could possibly make all the hassle worthwhile.

Can you go to Zim with guns this way? You are still leaving the UK with firearms headed to Zim. Or do you get a new ticket in Kenya for the Zim leg?

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope that we will be able to check the bags straight through to Harare as it is not an EU airline. I will be making enquiries before finalising the booking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
R. Jolly,

Has Kenyan said they definitely will carry your guns? I think transferring guns through Kenya could be problematic. My understanding is that Kenya has no active policy to deal with sporting arms. Going through JNB and using Air 2000 is really hassle free and it works.

I have travelled Windhoek to Vic Falls. That worked well and could be an alternative. I had been hunting in Namibia at the time though.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried to get a commitmment from the Kenya Embassy and also contacted Nariobi a year ago on moving guns thru the airport. Never coul;d even get a respose by emails. and mail

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am currently awaiting a response to my email to Kenyan Airways although when I enquired by phone they said it was no problem. I wont count my chickens though until I have it in writing.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Well RJ I hope your rifles make it...they are afterall my backup if mine do not! Big Grin

Cheers, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill
Yes I believe you will be in camp at Makuti towards the end of our trip. It will be good to meet you. The good news is that my rifle hire rates are quite resonable. The bad news is that I will be trying my best to bag that big 45" Sable before you get there !
Regards
Robert

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
It's hard to know what the future will hold, but there aren't a lot of bags being handled in Nairobi at the present time. Smiler Generally baggage going to the final destination is not off-loaded, at least that is what one would like to believe. The problem with firearms is that they sometimes get "special treatment".

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I am going to take Mark Young's advice and go via Joberg with the help of Air 2000.

posted Hide Post
why dont you go by boat the HMS FENTON he can advise going by water

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For all those wondering what the last posting means; it is a reference to a mutual hunting friend who managed to drown his new Jeep the other week whilst trying to ford a swollen river in Yorkshire.( Believe it or not it does sometimes rain in Northern England ) Smiler
Trevor is new to the forum so does'nt know to try to stay on the topic of the thread, but as he is probably the best English maker of African hunting rifles I think we can let him off this time !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious if the Kenyan air ever worked for anyone through Nairobi.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
R.Jolly, can you now take a rifle from U.K to Zim?
I used to go 2/3 times a year up to 2005 then I was told it`s illegal to take even sporting rifles to Zim.
Has the situation changed now?
I`ve lost track of things over there now sine we emigrated.
Thanks

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While R.Jolly had a good idea,I can see where it all fell down.A local Zambian PH may be able to "arrange"things.Otherwise use Air 2000 in J'burg.
They gave me,my wife and three kids-one in a wheelchair- great service in 2008.

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Emirate Air has no listing for Harare on their website - as of today.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote