Find
Notify
Tools

Picking Airline Seats
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
I'll be traveling South African Airlines for a safari in September 2012. MY buddy and I are flying together from New York to Johanesburg. We havent yet booked our seats. The agent told us the seating arrangement in the plane was (XX XXXX XX) two seats--aisle--four seats--aisle--two seats.

We are both over 6 feet and neither wants the window. We talked about each of us sitting on the end with the aisle in between us. The agent suggested we might want to gamble and pick the aisle side of the center row (hoping that the two center seats wouldnt be filled). If we do that AND we're lucky we get FOUR seats to ourselves, BUT if we loose we get separated by two strangers...

Most of our previous flying ended with us jumping out with a parachute and a M16, so this is a bit intimadating, as Im completly out of our realm. I hope to get some sleep in flight (which WILL mean snoring and runs to the bathroom); but obviously we are gonna be talking.

Id love to think we'd be lucky and get the center section to ourselves; but that seems to good to be true.

Looking for experienced advice.....

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
All of my flights from Dulles to Jo'burg have been fairly full. My hunting buddy and I generally get aisle seats across from each other so we can talk during hte flight. It is about as much room as you can get in coach, plus you can get up to use the head or walk around without disturbing anyone else. You can roll the dice on the center section as well - but I hope your "luck" is better than mine!
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For one of you there is a seat towards the back of the plane that does not have a seat in front of it. It is about the second or third to last row.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
For one of you there is a seat towards the back of the plane that does not have a seat in front of it. It is about the second or third to last row.

That is the best seat in coach. The row only has three seats instead of four.In front of the one seat is the access to the life raft, so no seat on top of it.
Great seat for long legs.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I travel a lot and all over so you might wish to check out www.seatguru.com

I am in no way affiliated with the site but if you plug in your airline and flight number/date you can see good (green), standard (white), bad (red) and seats with some drawbacks (yellow).

I do not always agree with their ratings based on experience (sometimes they show yellow on window seats with extra leg room because they say they may be cold for example), but they are pretty good....

Based on crowded flights being the norm these days, I would never count on 2 spare seats although it could happen of course ( my son just had a row to himself by complete coincidence).

In any case check out emergency rows and check out the specific plane's configuration before deciding...good luck!!!

best personal regards, mark

Posts: 37 | Location: western usa | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
We decided to each sit on the end of a row, with the aisle in between us. This being our first "civilian" safari, we werent willing to gamble on the two center seats being vacant. If it happens that way Im sure will seat hop a bit--if thats permitted???

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Lozano:
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:

That is the best seat in coach. The row only has three seats instead of four.In front of the one seat is the access to the life raft, so no seat on top of it.
Great seat for long legs.

It is great for leg room but can be a bumpy ride depending on the weather. I think the most stable ride is in the area over the wings, the roughest ride is in the rear.

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
I do roughly a zillion air miles a year across europe and africa. Because the government pays for my airfare it is always in cattle class. My preferred seating is the emergency exit row (of course!) but it is often blocked on online check in. The seat I usually pick is the second or third from the rear, left side of the plane and on the aisle.
Here is why:
Rear of plane - first on the plane, scoot right on back, stick my bits in the overhead, stand in the back with the attendant until everybody has boarded. That way you get your stuff in the overhead without fighting for it and you don't get clobbered by idiots with backpacks, etc. as they walk past your seat, turn and hit you in the head. Also, close to toilet without being right on it or crowded by people waiting for it. I never pick the last row because many of them cannot be reclined at all.

Left side aisle: I am right handed and like having my right elbow free to eat my meal, etc., without whacking the passenger next to me.

In the entire history of aviation the back of the airplande has arrived at the same time as the front. So, getting off last does not really lose any more time than getting off first. There is always some other airplande arriving just ahead of the folks up front!

Just my two bits worth but it sure works for me. PS. If I get stuck somewhere in the middle of the plane and on the aisle, I put my aisle side hand on top of the seat in front of me. That way my arm blocks whackage from errant purses, backpacks, small children, medium sized dairy animals, etc., as the herd moves towards the back of the plane

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about flying to Africa, but my wife and I have flown to Europe a few times in the last 3 years.
All our trips have been on Delta and we pick the exit row all the time. Lots of leg room.
Delta maybe the only airline that will let you book the exit row on line. I think the only question on the web site is "Are you physically able to operate the exit door".

MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you would be better off getting the two outside seat on the left side of the plane. You can switch from window to asile with your friend. Also getting in and out its easier to bug your buddy then someone you dont know. Also you can demand he takes a shower before getting on the plane not so sure that would happen with anybody that may sit next to you. ( BELIEVE ME SOME JUST PLAIN STINK. Also you wont be talking to much they cut the lights off after dinner so most go to sleep or watch the movies. You might read more than talk. Its pretty quite on the plane. I would suggest also a good head set for the movies and plane noise. That plane uses the double jack plug.
Just my 2 cents after 13 safari's
Dont forget to sign up for frequent miles you almost have enough after one trip for a free flight.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I love window seats, but then, my inner child still thinks riding in planes is a gee-whiz experience!

dancing

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16372 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Window seats are the highest requested so if you gamble on 2x2 seating and choose the aisle seat then it's almost guaranteed that you will have someone next to you at the wimdow. If you pick the window seat on a less than full flight, the odds are lot higher that you will have an empty set next to you.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote