THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Documents Needed For Travelling With Grandchildren?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Documents Needed For Travelling With Grandchildren?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm planning an African hunt with my grandson (13 yrs. old) UNACCOMPANIED BY HIS PARENTS BUT WITH GRANDAD. Other than passport is there any other documentation needed? (U.S. to Africa)

I've had camping trips into Canada with children & it was highly recommended to get signature letters from parents or guardians permitting their child to take the trip and present these letters to border (U.S. & Canada) customs agents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would get the same paperwork for minors.
I had issues just going to Mexico with my stepdaughter years ago.
Need to have both parents sign a nortized document.
Have fun
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boltshooter,

I contacted Gracy Travel and they said they only require the child to have their own passport to arrange travel but could not elaborate on any further documentation necessary. I would think but it still only would be my opinion that a letter drawn up by a lawyer and signed by both parents might be wise to have with you. Also it might also be good to contact the airline your using and see what they have to say about traveling with minors.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13019 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ben franklins

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I'd go to the trouble of having a lawyer draft something up but we've always had a letter signed by both my wife and I and notarized (Official stamps go a long way in a lot of places)whenever we've travelled with the kids seperately or if the kids are travelling with grandparents. Gist of the letter is either grandparent or parent is authorized to make whatever travel arrangements and decisions for the health and welfare of the child without restriction including health care decisions.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you legally need this but my buddy got grief taking his kid into Canada. They said a signed and notarized letter from both the mom and dad authorizing the child in your care is a big big deal.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
I don't know if you legally need this but my buddy got grief taking his kid into Canada. They said a signed and notarized letter from both the mom and dad authorizing the child in your care is a big big deal.

DOUBLE, DOUBLE YES!

I nearly had my children turned back by Canadians a few years back. My two boys were coming from San Francisco to the UK for xmas with me here and accompanied by my mother. The cheapest flight was Air Canada and it stopped in Toronto. I did not even think about it...

The Canadians separated my children from my mother and interviewed them individually to see if the stories matched up. They finally let them go onward when my then 7 year old told them he liked Virgin airlines MUCH better than Air Canada ;-)

After that a notarized letter from their mother and me went everywhere they went. I fully understand the need to stop child abduction which is usually done by ex spouses. Still, it was worrying.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago I took my father, my son, and a 13 year old nephew on a hunting trip to Namibia.

My sister and brother-in-law had a letter written by a lawyer friend. They signed it, and had it notarized.

We flew out of Houston to Frankfurt and then to Windhoek.

Nobody asked for the letter. I went through all the customs/passport control areas with my son, and my nephew went through with my father. We just showed our passports.

It was a complete non-issue for us. However I would not have went without the letter.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also have seperate Notarized letters, signed by both parents naming all of the adults on the trip to be able to authorize ANY AND ALL, medical treatment that might be necessary.

I would have several Notarized copies so you could give one to the hospital, the doctors, etc.

You need to have copies of medical insurance coverage, and known alergies.

Copies of any presciptions they take etc.

The forums/letters should indicate that you have complete temporary Guardianship.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
+1 on "N E 450 No2" post.

I've hunted/traveled with my daughter (now 16) for years and learned my lesson about this subject via an issue while entering Canada for a whitetail hunt. We have traveled extensively to other countries and never had an issue, however, I ALWAYS have documents as listed by N E 450 No2 at the ready.

As a reminder, when coming back stateside make sure you have you CBP 4457 handy!

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote