THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    New Statement From American Airlines

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Statement From American Airlines
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK, I'm going to try to cut and paste this from my e-mail. I used my gallons of ink as a travel/outdoor writer, and the number of posts I found on AR as a way to get to the corp communicators for an explanation.

While not completely rescinded it would seem your e-mails, along with the NRA, have tempered the policy some. OK, now for the cut and paste...

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn! It didn't work.

The synopsis is that American Airlines now does allow the transport of firearms on non-stop flights to and from Europe and Asia. The kicker is that the UK is still a no-go and AA references UK policies.

The reply i got back says that the airline will be working through the NRA and other groupsd (unnamed) in an effort to allow transport of firearms to/from the UK in the near future.

The regs they are dealing with in the UK are being called onerous.

Don't shoot me I'm only the piano player.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
906-632-1947

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I detect an odor of BS here. My firearms are transiting Heathrow next month, American to London, BA to Africa. Doesn't seem to have been an issue.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From AA

Dear Mr. Wanderer:

Thank you for contacting us about our recent implementation of a policy, effective for tickets purchased on or after September 24, 2007, that would no longer allow the transportation of civilian firearms in checked luggage to Europe and Asia, as a result of onerous restrictions in the United Kingdom (UK).

After hearing from our customers and interested parties, including the National Rifle Association (NRA), we've determined that we can modify our policy to allow legally declared firearms to be transported on nonstop flights to other destinations in Europe outside of the UK, and to our Asian destinations. We regret that, at this time, as a result of UK policies we can not allow civilian transport of firearms into the UK.

We look forward to working with the NRA and other industry groups in an attempt to resolve those issues in the hopes of allowing civilian firearms to be transported to the UK on American Airlines in the near future. We appreciate that you took the time to share your perspective about this important issue.

Sincerely,

Debi Little
Customer Relations
American Airlines

It's not clear to me whether "into" the UK is the equivalent of transiting the UK.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

posted Hide Post
Wanderer,

The CAA have a long standing requirement that a passenger must inform their airline a head of time that they are traveling with sporting firearms.

BA used to insist that it was 48hours and were rigid about it...Not sure how this affected firearms belonging to transit passengers; certainly in the past it does not seem to have been an issue.

No British airline or British national are allowed to carry firearms of any type to Zim, due to a long standing embargo, but thats been the case for a few years...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
Here is what SCI sent out just now:

Thanks to the vigilance of SCI members, Safari Club International was alerted immediately when American Airlines changed its policy on firearms to prohibit them on flights to Europe and Asia. The change was made effective on September 24, 2007. Working closely together with the National Rifle Association, SCI lobbyists made contact with American Airlines and requested an immediate review of the new regulation and its scope. Some seventy-two hours later, American Airlines has announced it is lifting its blanket prohibition on firearms on flights to Europe and Asia. Regrettably, due to onerous restrictions in the United Kingdom, American is currently unable to lift the prohibition for flights destined for the UK. However, discussions between American, SCI and the NRA continue, with the goal of resolving this issue as well.

SCI President Dennis Anderson lauded the speedy turn-around, saying "This accomplishment illustrates the power of sportsmen when we work together. SCI is pleased with the progress we have made on this issue, working cooperatively with the NRA, and we remain committed to resolving the issues that remain." American Airlines has issued a press release and its text follows here. It can also be accessed on its website at: http://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/pressReleases/2007_09/26_firearms.jhtml

"American Airlines recently implemented a policy, effective for tickets purchased on or after Sept. 24, 2007, that it would no longer allow the transportation of civilian firearms in checked luggage to Europe and Asia, as a result of onerous restrictions in the United Kingdom.

After hearing from our customers and interested parties, including the National Rifle Association (NRA) and Safari Club International (SCI), American has determined that it can modify its policy to allow legally declared firearms to be transported on nonstop flights to other destinations in Europe outside of the UK, and to our Asian destinations. We regret that, at this time, as a result of UK policies we can not allow civilian transport of firearms into the UK.

We look forward to working with the NRA, SCI, and other industry groups in an attempt to resolve those issues in the hopes of allowing civilian firearms to be transported to the UK on American Airlines in the near future."

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wanderer,

BS? Hardly, sir. I spoke again today, thursday, to AA. I would make damn sure its ok per your flight schedule. As of now NO guns in/out of the UK. And, yes, they explicitly told me in transit guns forbidden, too. In, in fact, suggested routing through Brussels or Frankfurt.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
906-632-1947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn we need an organisation like the NRA over here Frowner

Posts: 59 | Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to my travel agent and there's no problem because I was booked way before September 24th.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took my guns through Heathrow in July with BA, no problem. I bet this is an AA issue only.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy to report that my firearms transited London both directions without problems other than a communications issue. Apparently the case with SWPs doesn't show up on the regular baggage list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I booked a trip to South Africa in August. Since British Airways stopped service out of Detroit, I'm going to have to check my rifles on American Airlines (BA's partner) to catch BA out of Chicago.

American Airlines agent said I'm probably going to have to collect my rifles in Chicago and re-check them on BA. Does this sound right? I am used to having my rifles checked al the way through. Has anyone else encountered this?

Bwana91

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound right, AA and BA have a luggage agreement so the stuff should just check through in Chicago. I'd call BA and see what they say, so far I've found BA to be extremely cooperative when it comes to firearms.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana91

BA in my expereince does not accept boarding passes from other airlines. You do need to collect your guns and luggage in Chicago and recheck them onto BA. It is a good policy anyway as you know your kit got checked onto your international flight. Once BA gets your guns they are safe until you arrive at your destination. They have very strict regs on handling guns on their end the best recorde in the business of guns arriving with passengers.

Mark

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Outbound, it seems that you should be able to check them through to your destination if you are staying with AA/BA (subject to any local rules). Inbound you will have to clear customs at the first port of call in the US.

Be sure that BA knows that you are checking in sporting rifles and ammo as they have to note it in their computer.

What does your travel agent say?

What does your travel agent say?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My travel agent is my wife.

But it just amazes me that when you call the airlines, you speak to 10 people and get 10 different answers. I really wish there would be complete uniformity in the luggage handling department. I have a friend that works for TSA, maybe I should ask him.

In any event, I think I will follow up at the airport to see exactly where my bags are. I think one of the worst things to happen would be to arrive in Africa with no rifles.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote