New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo box SAA to Bulawayo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know whether they want the ammo box in the gun case, in the second checked bag, or on its own going JNB to BUQ on SAA?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have found that they want you to hand in rifle case and ammo case for "secure check" in after main luggage has been checked in at the standard check in counter.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted Hide Post
Mine had to be separate on SAA. Two weeks ago on the way too and from Victoria Falls.

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently it depends on who is checking you thru. The last time I was on SAA going from Joberg to Richards Bay no one ask about ammo and I didn't say a word. Coming back from Richards Bay to Jobeg they ask and I had to separate the ammo from my duffle and check it separate. I repacked prior to leaving for the USA. I always carry my ammo in a box that can be checked separately if needed. That is in a lockable box.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Apparently it depends on who is checking you thru. The last time I was on SAA going from Joberg to Richards Bay no one ask about ammo and I didn't say a word. Coming back from Richards Bay to Jobeg they ask and I had to separate the ammo from my duffle and check it separate. I repacked prior to leaving for the USA. I always carry my ammo in a box that can be checked separately if needed. That is in a lockable box.

99% of the time that's exactly right. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted Namibia the last of May. Took SAA from Johannesburg to Windhoek and mine was in my checked bag. Never asked.

Mauser

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
Flew JNB to Bulawayo last August on SAA. Ammo box in 2nd checked bag. No problem.

Posts: 262 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
No matter what the airline, the vast majority of check in agents don't know the rules about travelling with firearms & ammo and consequently make them up as they go.

The best thing to do is put your ammo into a hard lockable case and ensure there's room for that case in your ordinary baggage and in your rifle case and then simply tell the agent you have firearms/ammo and ask where you should put the ammo and then just do as requested.

Also go online and print out all the requirements they have on site and take it with you when you travel.

That way you save all the hassle and avoid all the arguments.

I wouldn't however recommend you use a cash box as a container because they look like what they are and they're an open invitation to baggage thieves who might thing the cash box contains what they're designed to contain..... cash.

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Does anyone know whether they want the ammo box in the gun case, in the second checked bag, or on its own going JNB to BUQ on SAA?

The rule is that it needs to be in a seperate lockable box and needs to be checked in at the firearms desk WITH your rifle.

So it will travel seperately but with the rifle.

yup we do things differently not sure of the logic cuckoo

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm making my first trip to Africa next month. How about a locking bow case? Would the ammo be allowed in that case. I'm traveling with a rifle case as well. What kind of lock would go on the bow case? Would a regular lock be allowed or will it have to be a TSA lock?

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the event, they pulled the ammo box out of my luggage and made me check it separately going to BUQ. Coming back they were fine with the ammo box in my luggage (not rifle case).

The real shitter was leaving the USA. TSA called me back from the gate at the very last minute as "there is a metal box in your luggage and it's locked". DUH. It's supposed to be in a metal box and it's supposed to be locked. They said their x ray could not see thru the metal cash box. I doubt it.

So I guess if you put your ammo in a locked box when leaving the USA, you had better tape the key to the box and hope the goons don't lose it.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Just goes to show you the inconsistencies of TSA. I've flow to Africa, and domestically, several times with my ammo in a locked metal box inside by duffel bag and never had a problem.

For my last trip I purchased a plastic ammo box from Cabela's and used a TSA lock. All went smoothly, but you can never tell with TSA.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2319 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve - FWIW I never ask anyone "where I should put it". Big Grin They just might tell me!!

If as most have said, if your ammo is in a sturdy, locked box with your nametag info on it, it's ready for whatever route the person you are dealing with chooses.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
No matter what the airline, the vast majority of check in agents don't know the rules about travelling with firearms & ammo and consequently make them up as they go.

The best thing to do is put your ammo into a hard lockable case and ensure there's room for that case in your ordinary baggage and in your rifle case and then simply tell the agent you have firearms/ammo and ask where you should put the ammo and then just do as requested.

Also go online and print out all the requirements they have on site and take it with you when you travel.

I wouldn't however recommend you use a cash box as a container because they look like what they are and they're an open invitation to baggage thieves who might thing the cash box contains what they're designed to contain..... cash.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Steve - FWIW I never ask anyone "where I should put it". Big Grin They just might tell me!!

If as most have said, if your ammo is in a sturdy, locked box with your nametag info on it, it's ready for whatever route the person you are dealing with chooses.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

jumping yuck jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put in checked, in separate box. Only take out if asked.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've often thought one of the "Biological Hazard" warning stickers might discourage theft if they required separate shipment of the ammo box, but it might prompt more searches as well.

Posts: 10139 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote