THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Help on Connecting to Air Namibia in Frankfurt

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on Connecting to Air Namibia in Frankfurt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hope to hunt Namibia in 2013 and I'm rethinking the Delta flight to Johannesburg then SAA into Windhoek.
I'm looking at the route from Atlanta to Frankfurt on Delta, then Air Namibia into Windhoek.
Called Delta and asked if they had a "Baggage Agreement" with Air Namibia. They said no, I would have to claim my luggage in Frankfurt an recheck it on Air Namibia. Coming back would be the reverse.
Can someone lead me through the procedure I would have to do in Frankfurt for rechecking my rifle and luggage on Air Namibia? I'm sure I need some kind of permit for my rifle. Can I store my rifle and luggage with customs or the police so my wife and I can spend a few hours in Frankfurt before our Namibia flight departs? If I can't, how far in advance can I check my rifle and luggage with Air Namibia?
On return, can you store your rifle and luggage somewhere so we can tour southern Germany for two or three days then catch our flight back home?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before going any further, I want to stress that the experiences below are about 4 years old (damn how time flies, my 14 year old boy then, has become much of a young man that just graduated from HS) and you should check with German Customs, especially since you have plenty of lead time, to confirm their practices are still the same. I am reasonably sure they are.

In addition, on the flight over, and assuming you'll only going to be in Frankfurt for the few hours waiting for your connection, if I were you, I'd REALLY try to get a flt on an airline with a luggage agreement with Air Namibia and avoid the below gun storage issue for the first half of your trip. On the return, prior to touring Germany, you would do as we did before leaving for Namibia.

All that said here is a re-posting of my experiences with guns in Frankfurt when we laid over for 3 days prior to flying on the Windhoek.

quote:

The German/gun storage problem was a concern prior to travel but turned out to be mostly a non-issue, just as Kathi assured me it would be.

First of all, since you've been there, I'll mention that the Frankfurt airport, which is supposedly the largest freight airport in the world, must handle freight a helluva lot better than they handle passengers. It is a confusing, relatively poor informationally designed place and this was by no means my first rodeo. That said, when you get your baggage, including your gun case, you kind of wander around a bit looking lost and ask the first polizei or zoli (customs) that you see where their office is. It is kind of behind and centrally located in the baggage area. Go there and explain that you have some firearms that you are taking on to Namibia, or wherever. You will be promptly and politely attended to.

Bitching aside, the German customs officials I met were friendly, helpful, and courteous. They simply put my guns and ammo (back to the separate box issue in a minute) in what they called bond after I told them what my travel plans were and issued me a two page receipt with descriptions, etc all in German. I wanted them to keep the tuffpak as well as the bag (that is piece of luggage which contained the ammo container) the ammo was packed in, since the HD plastic camera case mentioned above is relatively small and easily stealable if someone was so inclined, but that balloon didn't fly, so I left them my tuffpak and just the ammo box. They told me to come back WITH TWO AIR NAMIBIA WDH LUGGAGE TAGS WHEN I WAS READY TO DEPART. (Aside, I think this is where the rubber might meet the road if a traveler had his ammo and guns in one case, if one did, I'd do everything I could to avoid mentioning that little detail. In this instance, the German customs didn't even ask me to open my tuffpak and just wrote up a description of it on the receipt, so I could have had ammo in there and gotten away with it) Frankly the baggage tag issue worried me the whole time, since I could easily forsee that an airline employee/ticket agent wasn't going to just hand out luggage tags to every passenger with a "story". In my opinion it creates a huge liability/ security problem for them and I can't imagine it happening over here in the states. Further discussions with other travelers have lead me to believe that my worries had at least some basis in fact, since some said they got them easily and others said they wouldn't give them to them until they went and fetched a customs official, which as you can imagine isn't the easiest little detail to accomplish. In my case, and because of my concerns (that is how long it MIGHT take to get our guns/ammo on the plane to WDH), we were the first in line for the continuing flt to Namibia. After standing there a couple of hours waiting for the counters to open, the ticket agent, a very nice lady, after she understood what I wanted (that is two WDH luggage tags) just handed them over, checked our other two bags, and wished me a good trip/hunt. I took the two baggage tags downstairs to the customs office, same location as above, and, after checking my paperwork, they retrieved the guns, tagged the tuffpak and the small camera/ammo box and said they would personally put them on the plane. As mentioned earlier, I mentally kissed a couple of hundred bucks worth of ammo goodbye, but amazingly, both tuffpak and ammo showed up in WDH, no problems. To be polite, I asked the German customs official if I owed them anything and hey said, "No, it's our job, have a nice hunt." So we did.

This is how it played out for me and I would have no real concerns about doing it again, however, like any security/guns situation things can change. Not telling you anything but I'd be sure to check how the wind is blowing much closer to your actual travel dates. Incidentally I talked with several German hunters who were waiting in line with me to get our Namibian gun papers and they were quite definite that "Greens" as they called them, would deliberately misdirect guns in the FRA airport. Said this had happened to them 3 out of 5 times going to Namibia. One reason I like a tuffpak which is not instantly identifiable as a gun case. I would also avoid having stickers on the outside of any case indicating it contained firearms, such as a SCI membership decal, etc. Probably just my paranoia at work but I like to minimize problems when the cost is so low ahead of time.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
K98,
I am flying Delta to Frankfurt then Air Namibia to Windhoek in August 2012. Gracy Travel told me Delta has a baggage agreement with Air Namibia so you better check with a travel agent.

Posts: 76 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave next Tuesday. Same route, same airline. My travel agent has told me the same thing as Dak416's. I expect my luggage and rifles to be checked all the way through to Windhoek.

Posts: 29 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 10 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I checked with Steve Turner on this. His reply is;
coffee

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the head's up on the Baggage Agreement.
I guess the person I talked to was to lazy to put me on hold and ask someone. I thought she gave an awfull quick answer. It was "No, can I help you with anything else?".

Thanks again for the head's up

MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Glad to help. When you do book a flight check with Steve Turner http://www.travelwithguns.com/...ns-steve-turner.html

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was advised by the wonderful Kathy Climes who sometimes posts here that Delta and Air Namibia have a baggage agreement. Subsequently, our baggage transfer went seemlessly. We checked our bags and guns all the way through to WDH from our local airport. We toured downtown Frankfurt during the half-day layover without worrying about the checked baggage (hand luggage was temporarily checked in the airport lobby so we didn't have to carry it around with us.) Our bags and guns arrived at WDH on the same flight we did, just as promised.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote