New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel with just bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for advice or red flags. I'm planning to take some Swift bullets to the PH in Namibia, not the full cartridges, so he can do some reloading. Any worries with packing these in the factory boxes, unopened, in my checked bag?
Thanks for your help.
Chris

Posts: 61 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Les Howell in regards to carrying bullets. He was told it was okay and wound up spending a few days in the cops station in Zim.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sally's Dad,

I expect you will get a variety of responses, and while I have never been into Namibia, I have done something like this.

However, things are not as clear and easy as they seemed previously.

In South Africa [will you need to stop over there?] I understand that all ammo, AND bullets must match the rifle that you are bringing in!

And in Zimbabwe, you for sure would want to declare ALL ammo, and related components, as ammo, when you enter the country with your rifle.

So unless someone tells you that you may not bring in components at all, if they match your rifle and you declare them to customs/fireams control, I think you "should be alright"!

Someone here will have the exact answer but, doing it correctly is important. [Though someone here will certainly opine that "exporting' components without a license is illegal.] This has all been discussed here previously, maybe not specific to Namibia however.

Good Luck,

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, thank you. Maybe I'll contact Swift and see about arranging for a mail order direct to the PH. Thanks again!
Chris

Posts: 61 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting to see the responses to this since the PH for my upcoming trip to Namibia has asked me to bring him some reloading supplies as well.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sally's Dad:
Okay, thank you. Maybe I'll contact Swift and see about arranging for a mail order direct to the PH. Thanks again!
Chris

Your vendor will need an export permit from State and before they can get that, they'll need to be registered with State (about $3000 and a few months). If they're already set-up it's just a matter of $$$. Last I checked you could export up to 1000 bullets, brass, loaded rounds etc for personal use (travelling with you). The import end of the equation is something else entiely.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While the "exact, factual answer" is of course, important, why take the risk? I am routinely asked by PH's to bring such items, mostly bullets or brass. I politely decline and instead bring them a consolation gift.

Getting pissed on by some American TSA goon who doesn't know his ass from his new DHS secretary is bad enough, even when the law is on your side. Imagine what it'll be like in Bulawayo, or even a relatively sophisticated venue like Windhoek?

This is your safari. Do you want to spend it arguing the law, and maybe win, or would you rather just get through local customs and get on with your hunt?

Sorry to be a shit head, but there are too many risks involved these days. You have everything to lose, and nothing to gain.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sally's Dad,
For what it is worth, I bring bullets back to Sa from the states every year. I have only once had a problem when the TSA official found them after a scan and was not sure what they were and the laws pertaing to them, after calling her supervisor it was laughed off and they sent me on my way. These days I take my baggage over to them and ask them to scan it, explaining the "strange contents"
I have never had a problem since. I am not too sure how strict the Namibian authorities are.

JL

Posts: 64 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullets and Brass shouldn't be a problem...friend brought some into Namibia in 2006. TSA didn't say a word, he never told Namibian officials, since they never asked.

What does the NAPHA web site say?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's see:
-TSA xrays all the bags these days but maybe the guy that looks at yours will not realize that it may/may not be illegal to export components. [Whew got away with that!]

-don't tell Namibian Customs and/or firearms control about your smuggled reloading components, if they dont "ask" you. They may not find them IF they decided to search your bags after all.

A friend told you " You should be OK."

Sheesh! Roll Eyes

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And........there is more to think about.

Consider the following. If guys like us continue with such practices-----whether entirely lawful in SOME venues and with SOME carriers----such practices create "issues" at the ground level. They generate staff & supervisory time, and eventuyally attract the attention of the general public. Sooner or later the decision makers, under pressure from their security advisors, lawyers and anti-gun customers, will take a stand. And their decisions won't be in our best interests.

Those of us reading this thread know the differences from among bullets, empty cases and loaded cartridges. But that doesn't count in the real world.

Sure. Others have traveled to Africa time after time and never been challenged. Good on 'em. I have been on 6 trips and have had my ammo examined and inspected in both Namibia and Zim on EVERY trip.

Why take the risk?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote