New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel to Namiba
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This topic has probably been dealt with at some point on this forum but I can't find it easily. I am getting conflicting messages on the best way to get to Windhoek from Oklahoma City. I have never been to Namibia on purpose (refueled there once) and am trying to find out the best and least expensive way to do it. One group says book your guns straight through to Windhoek and go through Frankfort, stay 12 hours and fly straight to Windhoek via Air Namibia.That is more expensive and less hassle but you have to buy two round trip tickets--one to Frankfort and back and another to Windhoek and back) The other way, as recommended by a trusted travel agent,is fly directly from OKC to New York, overnight there (checking your baggage off)and then next morning, check your baggage straight through to Windhoek (avoiding the RSA Customs) and leave NYC on SAA mid morning and get into Jo-burg at 8 a.m., then fly SAA to Windhoek that afternoon.

Anybody have any feedback?

Dick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went in 2009 and flew Delta to Munich, spent 4 days there to acclimate to the time change.

We left our guns with customs at the airport and did all of our touring without all the extra hunting gear.

From Munich we flew to Johannesburg and onto Windhoek via South African Air. On the outward journey it wasn’t an issue being two tickets as it was separated by the 4 days of sightseeing.

On the return trip, we checked in at the Windhoek airport and checked our bags all the way to our final destination in the middle of Iowa.

Delta had or has a baggage agreement with SAA that allowed us to get our bags home and our boarding cards all there in Windhoek.

If you check on the baggage handling agreements, you can open up a lot of other flight options...

Just thoughts, and they may be wrong... but they are mine.

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."
Dan Gable

Posts: 55 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I did to NYC to JoBerg to Windhoek route in June and everything went well. There are a lot of complaints about SAA but I've done the trip to Windhoek twice with SAA and have had no problems. We landed at JoBerg at 8:30 in the morning and flew up to Windhoek at 1:30. There is an earlier connecting flight but the times were too tight for our comfort.

We considered flying to Windhoek via Frankfurt but the tickets were considerably more expensive at the time. Our PH advised us that the Frankfurt route is the nicer way to travel but we could not justify the extra cost.

As for JFK, both leaving and coming back into the country with firearms was painless. The Port Authority Police were incredibly polite and helpful.

Honestly, there probably is no best way to get there as it is just a matter of personal preference. Either route involves a lot of travel time, handling your guns, and clearing customs.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information I will be going to Zimbabwe on 25 September through JFK your experience with the port police is reassuring

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick
Just returned from Windhoek last week.
If you fly Delta you can book it all the way
On one ticket. Call Shawn at Gracy Travel

Posts: 76 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick
Sorry forgot to post I flew through Frankfort

Posts: 76 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the difference in prices, but unless it is REALLY significant, I'd fly Frankfurt-Windhoek.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frankfort is the way to go. You can get a day room or if on Delta buy a lounge pass. Well worth it either way. When you get to Windhoek you will be pretty much fresh and ready to go. Takes a good bunch of the jet lag out of it.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check with Air Namibia on their baggage handling agreements with various airlines you may use to get to Frankfurt. United recently terminated their baggage agreement with Air Namibia. This required us to retrieve our baggage in Frankfurt, and check our firearms in with German airport police, retrieve the firearms from the police and rechecking in to Air Namibia. Also required was a special firearms transit permit from the police, that they did not even care about. But it allowed the firearms owner to move the weapon in the terminal for subsequent check in.

Also, checking the bags all the way from Windhoek to the U.S. was not possible. United code shares with Lufthansa for the flight back to LA. Lufthansa charged 75 Euros for the gun case which had to be paid separately. Quite a hassel. Friends going back on Delta and American had no such problems.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dak416:
Dick
Just returned from Windhoek last week.
If you fly Delta you can book it all the way
On one ticket. Call Shawn at Gracy Travel

+1 on this.

Being able to check your luggage on Delta with them transferring your luggage to Air Namibia is very convenient as they have a baggage agreement.

There is indeed a long lay-over in Frankfurt but you can either sight see or get a day room, which is what we did.

Shawn at Gracy handled all our arrangements and it was extremely easy.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you have to pay Gracy and a meet and greet gun handler's fee in Frankfurt?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, you dont
Have to do anything with your guns in Franfort
It will be just like any other connection.
Its nice to get a dayroom for the long layover
Flying through Frankfort with Delta gets rid
Of any gun hassles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twice through Frankfurt to Namibia.
Quite easy with Delta & Air Namibia.
Got a day room at the Sheraton & got some rest, a shower & some very good German food.
Used Shawn at Gracy Travel & will continue to do so.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Leaving in a week JFK to JNB to WDH. When we purchased the tickets the JFK to Fankfurt to WDH was over $600 additional. Could not justify the overage.

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Just getting back to Windhoek now finished hunting. Flew Lufthansa from Houston (got united miles) then Air Namibia to Wdk. Spent extra days in Frankfort to lose jeglag with wife and SIL. Best way to go. You can go from OKC to Houston and never touch a bag if you don't stay over there. We did and it was still easy.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 348 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Namibia last night. Flew from JFK to Winhoek via Frankfurt. When in Frankfurt on way in I took a day room @ Sheridan
& got a shower & slept. Baggage went straight througfh & no hassles at all. Better than going via Jobergh ( stay away if possible ) Also booked through Gracy Travel with Melliza, they are very helpful, helped with permits etc and give you a packet with outstanding direction & answers to other issues you may have. I have booked through them several times and had nothing but great service - they will get my buisness as long as they stay with it !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last time I went there was some sort of convention and no day rooms to be had. The folks at the Delta lounge stepped for us and were great. we were able to shower, sleep as well as you can there, and eat or drink. the only down side was they closed for about 4 hours so had to leave during that time. On the way back the ladies there recognized me and went out of there way to be helpful. So, even with the cock up on day rooms it was still easy. Had I not had the handicapped gent with me I would have headed into town to see the place. A day room is a huge plus but this wasn't bad. Beats the hell out of Tembo. Had miles so only cost was for the Air Namibia part of the trip.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Frankfurt route. We used the Delta Crown room to shower, snack and sleep. We left the airport and did some sightseeing in the city. I like this route because you land early morning in Windhoek, and for me anyway, I had no problems with time change.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call a good travel agent familiar with dealing with hunters. I can vouch for Steve Turner with Travel with Guns. I hear Kathi Klimes does great work as well. I used to use Gracey Travel and I'm sure they could do a good job as well.

Posts: 10128 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
I also used Steve and Susan at Travels with Guns, very sharp on what needs to be done re guns in Frankfort.

I also used the club in Frankfort returning, the shower was much appreciated, and made the rest of trip more bearable.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 348 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Staley Keck
posted Hide Post
I did the Frankfurt route as well from DFW, booked through Travel With Guns as well. The layover in Germany makes the trip much easier to take the trip over.

Posts: 79 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 06 December 2007Reply With Quote